any 04 fz6n motors around?

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I just bought a 04 fz6n fairly cheap as it has a knock in the motor. Pulled it apart and found the crankshaft has a slight wobble in it, a small crack in the casing near the clutch too. Figure the cheapest and easiest way to get it on the road is another motor, I don't know what year models have the same motors but if someone is wrecking one I'd be keen.
Pete

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I've been googling what motors will fit. Wikipedia says there was a revision in 06 and the crankcase part numbers are the same 04 and 05 but 06 is different. I can get this for $900 -
Yamaha Fazer FZ6 S 06 engine motor complete working well | eBay and this seller says the same motor fits 04 to 06 http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-06-YAMAH...1bc24ff26:g:fHsAAOSw44BYfnxo&autorefresh=true so I should be right.
Does anyone know if a 06 motor will fit a 04? Will I have to change the ECU?
Any advice is apreciated.
Pete

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I've been googling what motors will fit. Wikipedia says there was a revision in 06 and the crankcase part numbers are the same 04 and 05 but 06 is different. I can get this for $900 -
Yamaha Fazer FZ6 S 06 engine motor complete working well | eBay and this seller says the same motor fits 04 to 06 04-06 YAMAHA FZ6 FZ600 ENGINE MOTOR 30 DAY WARANTY 17K MILES | eBay so I should be right.
Does anyone know if a 06 motor will fit a 04? Will I have to change the ECU?
Any advice is apreciated.
Pete

its a bolt in Pete, shouldn't be any issues....

I wish their site would let you zoom in on the engine mounts.
You may want to ask to make sure all threaded engine mounts are good..

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. I bought the motor just before I saw your reply. I can see how the mounts could get stripped as the frame moved about 1/8" when I undid the one on the head. I'll check it when it arrives.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. I bought the motor just before I saw your reply. I can see how the mounts could get stripped as the frame moved about 1/8" when I undid the one on the head. I'll check it when it arrives.

Probably ok. As long as a major part of the block isn't CRACKED, you should be good.

Any stripped threads, before the engine is installed, a helicoil would fix it better than new..

You wonder why the bike was parted out, probably wrecked, hopefully no damage transferred to the engine mounts.
The rest of the engine looked very clean!!

Also, while the new engine is out, you may want to check the valve lash (perfect time). There's numerous threads here about it.

PM sent as well.

Plz post back once installed...