05 FZ6 - adding coolant ? and opinion on type of fluid ?

getsum

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I just pop the little top off of the top/right side of the WHITE plastic box that reads HIGH and LOW and pour the radiator fluid in there ?

This white container is right under the rear lip of the tank...

While on the center stand - off - it reads right at the LOW mark.

Also - can I just use regular radiator fluid ??

S

Shamus McFeeley

I think what you're describing is the coolant reservoir. Yes, you can pour fluid directly in there. The prestone pre-mixed coolant is a good choice, although I've used honda HP coolant as well. You should always check your level when the engine is cold, and use the center stand if you have one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all the above. I've used both the Honda coolant and currently have the pre-mixed Prestone in all 3 of my bikes.

I did notice a bit of a difference, especially in the FJR changing the coolant (cools down faster, takes longer to raise the gauge in heavy traffic).

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Can I just pop the little top off of the top/right side of the WHITE plastic box that reads HIGH and LOW and pour the radiator fluid in there ?

This white container is right under the rear lip of the tank...

While on the center stand - off - it reads right at the LOW mark.

Also - can I just use regular radiator fluid ??

The marks on that tank aren't as straightforward as you might think......

If your coolant is at the lower mark when the engine is cold, and the bike is on the center stand....... it's reading right where it should. If you add fluid to the higher mark, that will be too much for the system when it is hot. Engine coolant expands with heat. The catch bottle is there to contain the change in volume, and to let the motor suck it back in, when it cools off.

Any excess you add to the system will be forced out and will spill onto the ground when the bike is warmed up.

Without changing anything, what happens to your catch bottle volume, when the bike is warmed up? Does the fluid then read right at the higher mark?

If so, all is well.

You could change all of the engine coolant, to put fresh stuff in the radiator, block, and catch bottle.... a good idea every few years. Coolant that is okay for use in aluminum engines should be fine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Per the owners manual (2007):

check the level while cold and the bike is upright.

If its below the minimum mark, add coolant.

4. "Add coolant or distilled water to raise the coolant to the maximum level mark, install the coolant resevoir cap."

I keep mine at the top line cold, there's still room to expand when hot, I'm in SW Florida, 95' plus days are usual and mines never overflowed...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this has already been covered (I did a search on earlier threads) but, if you're changing out fluids---and the manual, curiously doesn't even suggest this---after you drain the coolant by removing the lower 8mm head drain bolt and pumping out old coolant that's in the white reservoir tank, I recommend flushing the system with water before adding new coolant/water 50/50 mix. I was surprised at how much old coolant remained in the system.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did my coolant at the beginning of the season. I used the Honda Type 2 for a couple of reasons.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/20883-how-change-coolant-2.html#post318614

If you are going to switch to a different type of coolant, the old coolant should be completely flushed out. Different types of coolant will react with each other and create a sludge that will get caught in the small passages in the radiator. Not good, so be careful. :thumbup: