Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SAAVA (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Starting a trip with over 117k miles, What could go Wrong?

The battery died! The two year old BikeMaster Gel battery is not recommended by me. I went back to YUASA

I also did suffer a torn bottom rubber lip to my LS2 helmet, two false neutrals while shifting and the bike burned some oil for the first time.

As to the trip, it was along the Skyline Drive and BRP and down to Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Starting a trip with over 117k miles, What could go Wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SAAVA View Post
    The battery died! The two year old BikeMaster Gel battery is not recommended by me. I went back to YUASA

I also did suffer a torn bottom rubber lip to my LS2 helmet, two false neutrals while shifting and the bike burned some oil for the first time.

As to the trip, it was along the Skyline Drive and BRP and down to Florida.
    So all in all, nothing too unexpected for the mileage

Is skyline drive as lovely as it's said to be?

SAAVA (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As to the riding, Shenandoah valley is absolutely gorgeous and the views of the valley from Skyline drive were stunning when I wasn't shivering. While beautiful, the weather was in the 30s at the higher elevations and I was wearing every piece of gear I had. Brrr. The speed limit at 35 mph was also slow going while on Skyline Drive and heavily patrolled. Once I made it to the Blue Ridge Parkway, traffic thinned out and road became faster and curvery and an absolute delight to ride. Also, US 501 just outside Glasgow, VA was like some toboggan ride instead of a road. I really like that area of Virginia and North Carolina Pastoral or bucolic is a good description of the area.

On the other hand, the train ride was a mix bag. It was great not to ride all the way up to Virginia, but while I had two large seats to myself, the train jostled you around more than is customary from my experience in Europe. Even people in the expensive sleeper cars complained they didn't sleep that great due to the jostling. Also, the food they served wasn't very good. On a funny side note, of the eighteen bikes on the auto train, I noticed at least eight were BMW GS1200, two K1600, two Harleys and one Goldwing. The BMWs and their riders looked like they had just come out of a JPeterman catalog and they gave me and my old bike with duct taped ripped saddle bags a quizzical look and stayed well away!

With over 118k miles, this was the FZ6's retirement ride and I think we will both stick to around town for now.

4. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

oh thats awesome news if those were your only issue,

6. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post