Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which tires would you choose?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelin Pilot Road 4 for $281

32 82.05%
  • Pirelli Angel GT for $266

7 17.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mattwitt (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pirelli Angel Gt or Michelin PR4??

Cold and nasty here in Missouri and time to blow some money.. I still have the OEM tires on my 2008 with about 4300 miles on it.. Tread is still good, but they are getting hard and have some cracking on the front tire..

I have it narrowed down to these 2 tires.. Rocky Mountain has the PR4 for $281 shipped and the Angel GT for $266 shipped for the set.. So very close in price, what would you suggest? My riding is non-aggressive and more of a commuter and weekend warrior (above 40°)..

2. Thanks tejkowskit thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pirelli Angel Gt or Michelin PR4??

Either one would be a great choice. I've had amazing results with the PR2 so I would get the PR4 over the GT's. I've heard good things about the Angel Gt's but the jury is still out on how long they will last.
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

Current Mods: (in no particular order)
    Leo Vince aluminum
    Top Sellerie seat
    Morimoto V6.0 mini H1 HID Projectors
    15t front sprocket
    grip puppies
    Hyperlites
    Stebel nautilus horn
    Puig racing dark smoke wind screen
    Racetech led volt meter

4. Thanks mattwitt, tejkowskit thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Turkiye (A.K.A. Turkey), tarmac's coefficient of friction is not enough for harder tyres. So I'm using pirelli rosso II for daily riding/touring.

From this point of view, I tested brand new pr3 and was fine enough. Also I read angel gt has longest life of tourer tyres.

So I thought pr4 should be bit softer than angel gt. Also I prefer Michelin for rainy roads.
    Make your decision with this information. Also don't forget that aging is harden the tyres, if weather is dry at there, I would choose the softest one.
    Good luck, ride safe.

6. Thanks mattwitt, tejkowskit thanked for this post
    Super Member Pirelli Angel Gt or Michelin PR4?? Jblk9695's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with the PR4's also, I have one on the rear of the Tiger with a little over 3K miles and it shows very little signs of wear. I'm running a Bridgestone T30 on the front and the combo works very well especially in the mountains, they feel very planted. I have ridden in the low 40's and didn't notice any problems with slipping or sliding.
    I will go with a PR4 for the front when I wear out the T30.

Jerry
    Everyone is FAST in a STRAIGHT LINE
    OLD Hooligan

Arrest that HOON at once, they are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!!

8. Thanks mattwitt, tejkowskit thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had amazing results with my PR4's her in the Pacific Northwest. Hot, cold, rainy, leaf covered, and mossy roads. These things just stick.

10. Thanks tejkowskit, mattwitt thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never ridden the angel gt's, but I can tell you I love the pr4's! They're my favorite tire I've ridden on so far. I've taken multiple long road trips and have ridden them in all weather conditions on every road type. About 10,000 miles on them and still a whole lot of tread. I expect to easily get over 20,000 miles out of them. Tons of confidence and they've never gotten away from me. I've ridden them very aggressively with no problems. Youll be happy if you get them.

12. Thanks mattwitt thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the Angel GT to the track this summer, was wet all evening. Pretty solid tires! I'm sure the PR4 are good to... whatever good deal you can get... you won't see the end of them.

14. Thanks mattwitt thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have less than 100kms on my PR4s, and I cannot believe how different my bike feels on the road. I am not sure if I really like it too much yet. I put on over 23,000kms on the original OEM tires, and yes, I would say the original tires are a harder tire with less traction, but, in a way, I liked it more because my bike glided/rolled better with less resistance. An analogy is rolling a marble on a floor versus a gum ball. The marble rolls quickly, easily and further over a floor versus a gum ball that had the same initial thrust provided to it. That said, I live in an area that is a rain belt, so the PR4s are ideal. I had my rear end slide around on multiply occasions before due to the slippery conditions (rain and frost on a few occasions), and it will be interesting to see how different the new PR4s will be in all seasons in the Pacific West Coast. That said, I will miss the ease of gliding and rolling over the surface of the road. I imagine that once it gets warmer/hot that the PR4s will stick even more to the road, which will mean it will feel like I'm sticking to the road even more or sinking in quick sand. Maybe I will get use to it by then--we will see.

PS. I wish I would have taken a picture of the original OEM tires before taking them off. I think I could have put another 2000kms on them, but a friend was pushing me to change them because I drive year around, and they didn't like that they were past the change wear points and that winter conditions are present. I personally liked the challenge to see how many more kms I could put on them. I ended up changing them because of BLACK FRIDAY. There was a tire sale, and it wasn't worth not taking advantage of the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwitt View Post
    Cold and nasty here in Missouri and time to blow some money.. I still have the OEM tires on my 2008 with about 4300 miles on it.. Tread is still good, but they are getting hard and have some cracking on the front tire..

I have it narrowed down to these 2 tires.. Rocky Mountain has the PR4 for $281 shipped and the Angel GT for $266 shipped for the set.. So very close in price, what would you suggest? My riding is non-aggressive and more of a commuter and weekend warrior (above 40°)..
    Body & Suspension: Cee Bailey Screen; MRA X-creen; Red Windshield Screws; Acerbis Dual Sport Handguards & Lights; ; RaceTech .95KG Springs & Gold Emulators
    Engine & Exhaust: Stainless Steel Leo Vince
    Protection: LSL Sliders; Reflective Rim Tape; Scorpion Alarm; Stebel Horn.
    Luggage & Misc: Givi E55 Top Case & E41 Keyless Side Cases; SW-Motech GS Tank Bag--electric; Heated Grips; Top Saddelery Seat; LED Lights; Yamaha Tire Valves; Stainless Steel FZ6 Radiator cover.

16. Thanks mattwitt thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have worn out several PR2's and Pr3's so my next tire will be a PR4. Have not ridden the Angels but think Michelin has the best rain tech. Don't ride a lot in the rain but want a tire that works well when I do - over the years have ridden a lot in the rain. Had Dunlop Qualifiers OEM on my bike and could not believe how poorly they did in the cold and rain. Pulled them off and put PR3's on. Have had it leaned all the way over and no complaints.

Read a comment recently that a new sport touring tire is as good as a race tire of 10 years ago. Not sure if that it true but they are amazing.

Only have one question about the PR4. It's a sport touring tire and many sport touring bikes are heave (650 to 700 pounds), how will it work on my CBR600RR which is 415 pounds.

18. Thanks mattwitt thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the PR2's and put 16k on them and I loved them for commuting, long trips and the twistys. I was planning another long trip and wanted to get the PR3's but the shop told me they were in a transition to the PR4's and it would be a month wait. I had the Angel GT's as a second choice and they had them on hand so I went with them. I have a little over 6k on them and they show good wear patterns, they did great on the highway in the pouring rain and they stuck great on the curves. You really can't go wrong with either, and I'm not sure what will go on my bike next but I would have confidence in either. Let us know what you go with.

20. Thanks mattwitt, FB400, MattR302 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast