Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which tyre is the best for grip and cornering?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3

48 34.29%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2

17 12.14%
  • Z6 Interact

4 2.86%
  • Z8 Interact

11 7.86%
  • Pirelli Angel

18 12.86%
  • BT - 023

28 20.00%
  • AVON Ultra storm II

1 0.71%
  • Other please state

16 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Tyre????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which Tyre????

Quote Originally Posted by Bakchos View Post
    what is a tyre ?
    It's the proper, English spelling , damn foreigners!

Anyway, back to the actual subject,

I have been running PR3's for just over 1700 miles now and would highly recommend them, outstanding grip on wet and dry roads

Yamahaboyz
    Last edited by YZF73; 01-16-2012 at 04:42 AM.

2. Thanks marke14 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of mileage are yall getting with those Metzlers?

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R* Phil_RC_1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by russ_sc View Post
    I have the Z8's on my FZ1. Grip and feel have been excellent, luv'em. I'm at just over 7000 miles and I'm about 1 mm from the wear markers on the rear. I suspect I'll get around 8000 or so. Not bad for a ST tire that leans way to the "S" side of Sport Touring FWIW, I'm 220lbs and almost All of the my miles are straight line commuting, which is probably the worst way to try to get miles from a tire. My side treads still look new, all the wear is in the center. I supose if I were to have ridden 2000 miles worth of twisties, I would be getting around 10000 from the set, maybe 4000 more miles of twisties would have got me 12000 etc. Anyway, as always when comparing tire mileage,,,,, your mileage may vary....
    MERGE: is a verb, an action word, something that you actively have to do. Blindly pulling out onto the interstate while riding your brakes and doing 50mph IS NOT MERGING!

PASSING LANE: (Left lane) is not for you to cruise in while you are going the same speed as the car to your right. It is sometimes incorrectly called the fast lane, however it is not for cruising regardless of your speed when the right lane is clear. It is the PASSING LANE, i.e. pass the car, then get the heck over!

5. Thanks marke14 thanked for this post
    Junior Member Which Tyre???? mave2911's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys,
    I'll be looking for tyres in the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for recommendations on which tyres are going to give me good mileage please. (without being stupidly hard)

Obviously I want something fairly grippy, but my bike is more of a commuter than a corner carver.

I've been looking with interest at the Michelin Pilot Road 3s, as they're supposed to give good mileage due to the dual compound. (like the Pilot 2, but the 3s are the *NEW* generation!)

So, what sort of mileage can I expect? (I'm thinking buying a bike to save transit costs might have been false economy!)

Cheers,
    Rick

And before you say Metzeler!! Humperdinkel, any idea on mileage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mave2911 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'll be looking for tyres in the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for recommendations on which tyres are going to give me good mileage please. (without being stupidly hard)

Obviously I want something fairly grippy, but my bike is more of a commuter than a corner carver.

I've been looking with interest at the Michelin Pilot Road 3s, as they're supposed to give good mileage due to the dual compound. (like the Pilot 2, but the 3s are the *NEW* generation!)

So, what sort of mileage can I expect? (I'm thinking buying a bike to save transit costs might have been false economy!)

Cheers,
    Rick

Even Michelin says the 3s are no better in the dry than the 2s. They are sopoused to have better wet weather performance than the 2s. They will probably be my next tire. But I've been a fan of the pilot roads since the original. The dual compound doesn't really offer better mileage it offers increased grip while leaned over. I got the same mileage out of my PR2s than I did out of my original PRs

Mileage depending on your right hand should be around 10,000 miles.

On the saving money bit. Probably not. Some guys on advrider crunched the numbers years ago and if you include all maint costs you about break even with a car.

Depends on the bike of course a scooter may save you a little with its 100 mpg fuel Econ.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by Downs; 01-27-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    2007 FZ6 Red
    1997 Suzuki DR350SE
    1979 Suzuki GS1000 "Skunk Bike"
    2004 Yamaha FJR1300A (Totaled)
    2005 BMW R1150R (Traded)
    2007 KLR 650 (Sold)
    2004 SV650 (ex-wife)
    2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (Sold)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish everyone would at least try the shinko 009's aka ravens at leasts once!!! I know I sound like a shinko salesman but honestly after coming off diablo's I haven't noticed much difference in traction and where the raven might not have as much as the diablo in the dry in doubles it in the wet, plus they are easily a 10,000+ mile tire. IMHO unless you have perfect form your not going to be able to use any sport type tire to its maximum cornering ability, and besides that 80% of fz6 riders probably never take the bike to even close to its cornering limits, bike or tire. For he price, mileage, and traction of the ravens I'm surprised they arnt the most popular sport touring tire out there, but shinko use to make garbage tires and I guess that stigma is still with them. But I can garuentee-sp? You this-unless you are a professional rider or semi pro who only takes his bike to the twisties ( which if you are then why do you have a fz6?) then you will fall in love with the all around greatness of the raven...
    Ain't no grave that can hold me down!

89 KTM LC4- Flipped

05 KLR 650- sold

06 DL 650- Wrecked and left in about 1000 different pieces on I75

04 FZ6 Fighterd Out- DOA, resurrected, DOA, resurrected, DOA, Resurrected, DOA, resurrected, SOLDDDD

04 FZ1- Blew it the *****up! Rebuilt that biznitch!

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R* Phil_RC_1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a neat tire (tyre) thread. This guy did a pretty good job documenting the wear of 3 sets of tires, Conti Road, Shinko Ravens, PRII. but youll have to read the PRII thread to get to his conclusions on the Ravens.

Thread
    MERGE: is a verb, an action word, something that you actively have to do. Blindly pulling out onto the interstate while riding your brakes and doing 50mph IS NOT MERGING!

PASSING LANE: (Left lane) is not for you to cruise in while you are going the same speed as the car to your right. It is sometimes incorrectly called the fast lane, however it is not for cruising regardless of your speed when the right lane is clear. It is the PASSING LANE, i.e. pass the car, then get the heck over!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ran Shinko Ravens on the following bikes

Suzuki Bandit 1200
    Suzuki SV650
    BMW R115R
    FJR1300A

I actully do like those tires a lot they are probably the best bang for the buck tire out there. And I was getting 10kish miles from them also. Good tires in the wet and dry and fairly cheap.
    2007 FZ6 Red
    1997 Suzuki DR350SE
    1979 Suzuki GS1000 "Skunk Bike"
    2004 Yamaha FJR1300A (Totaled)
    2005 BMW R1150R (Traded)
    2007 KLR 650 (Sold)
    2004 SV650 (ex-wife)
    2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (Sold)

Junior Member Which Tyre???? mave2911's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    Shinko Ravens
    Anyone know if these are available in Oz? (I've never heard of them!)

And, as you say they're good for 10 000mi, I wont be doing ANY miles, kilometers ONLY in the metric world! (where does one buy metric capable tyres?)

Gees I crack me up!

Cheers,
    Rick

EDIT - I'd like to find a tyre that'll give me 16093kms, but haven't seen any.....

12. Thanks Humperdinkel thanked for this post
    Resident Rumologist Which Tyre???? Humperdinkel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by russ_sc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mave2911 View Post

On the XJR I get just over 18000k's out of a rear & around 24000 out of the front

The FZ6 should get you at least 20000k's being a lighter & smaller bike

Ohh & Rick Shinko's are available in Oz , I ran a set on the FZ6 & did about 8000 on them when I traded it , they are fantastic tyres but they were probabaly only good for 10000'k's , 11000 at a stretch
    No longer a fan of the brand....

Daniel
    AUSSIE PACKER

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast