Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unicorn

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Unicorn

I looked locally for a '16 model, new(back then) or used.

The dealers down here don't stock them. The latest FJR I've seen is a '13 model...(didn't like the color)…

Probably for the best, I don't do any LD riding anymore, but the FJR was a fun (fast) bike!! When we did do
    LD rides, my friend and I, getting on the interstate (on ramps), would easily get into the triple digits and then slow for 80 MPH traffic!
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

ShoopCE (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the very few shortcomings of the FJR is that it doesn't have a helmet lock. But I'll soon be adding two of Scott's special helmet lock brackets.

I realized this past week that third gear on the FJR is a bit taller than high gear on my stock ratio FZ6. The FJR does about 64 mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd while the FZ6 does 50 mph at 5000 in 6th. In 6th gear the FJR does does 70 at 3100 or 3200. The torque, even at 3000 rpm is incredible.

Okay, okay, better quit bragging before I get banned.

I still love my FZ - she got the nod for today's ride to work. (Better now?)

Chris
    2008 FZ6 Cobalt Blue
    R6 forks, R6 Mirrors, MRA Vario windscreen, ThrottleMeister, Shogun frame sliders, SpeedoDRD, Corbin GF&Lady w backrest, R&G FE

3. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoopCE View Post
    One of the very few shortcomings of the FJR is that it doesn't have a helmet lock. But I'll soon be adding two of Scott's special helmet lock brackets.

I realized this past week that third gear on the FJR is a bit taller than high gear on my stock ratio FZ6. The FJR does about 64 mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd while the FZ6 does 50 mph at 5000 in 6th. In 6th gear the FJR does does 70 at 3100 or 3200. The torque, even at 3000 rpm is incredible.

Okay, okay, better quit bragging before I get banned.

I still love my FZ - she got the nod for today's ride to work. (Better now?)

Chris
    My fz6 at 5k rpm is going about 62mph in 6th gear, as far as I know my gearing is stock

5. Thanks ShoopCE thanked for this post
    Senior rider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Chris. Sounds like your FZ6 gearing is different than mine. I mainly watch the tachometer while I drive at higher speeds (since it's so big), and extrapolate that to mph - especially when I get going really good. For example, at 6 grand on the tach in 4th gear, I multiply 6 (thousands) times 10 (miles per hour, per thousand) and that's (about ) 60 mph. In 5th gear, the 6 (thousands) on the tach times 11 (mph, per thousand rpm) is 66 mph. And in 6th gear, the 6 (thousands) on the tach times 12 (mph, per thousand rpm) is 72 mph.

What's really somewhat scary (after I get off the bike) is that in 4th gear 12 (thousand rpm) times 10 is 120 mph, in 5th gear 12M rpms times 11 mph is 132 mph, and in 6th gear 12M rpms times 12 mph is 144 mph, which is exactly the top rated speed for our FZ6's (mine is a 2007). I've only used the 12M rpms since that's the top of the horsepower curve. If our FZ6's could actually pull 14M rpms in 6th gear, top speed would be 168 mph!

Your basic observation remains valid, however. The FJR has tons of torque and is far less "buzzy" than the FZ6. I ride with a friend who has an FJR, and the only way I can try to keep up is to keep the engine rpm's above 7M- always. And he still beats me out of many of the corners. I'd certainly own an FJR if my pants inseam wasn't 28".
    - - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.
    2007 FZ6 Faster Blue Killernoodle clutch mod; Motogiro headlight mod; Givi E21 hard bags; Madstad windscreen; Sena SMH10 = awesome!

7. Thanks ShoopCE thanked for this post
    ShoopCE (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ital View Post
    My fz6 at 5k rpm is going about 62mph in 6th gear, as far as I know my gearing is stock
    Ital (& 2007Fizzer)

I probably should have mentioned that my FZ6 is equipped with a SpeedoDRD which corrects the speedometer. Mine required a -4.5% correction to read pretty close to accurate. If you guys are reading the speedo without correction then you probably think you are going 2-4 mph faster than you actually are.

Here's a funny story from when I first bought the FZ6 and why I got the SpeedoDRD.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/the-...o-my-wife.html

BTW - I checked the FJR versus the wife in her Outback and it was reading pretty close, maybe 1 mph optimistic at 70. The rear is about half worn off so I'll check again after I put a new tire on.I don't think I'll buy a corrector for a 1.4% error.

Chris
    2008 FZ6 Cobalt Blue
    R6 forks, R6 Mirrors, MRA Vario windscreen, ThrottleMeister, Shogun frame sliders, SpeedoDRD, Corbin GF&Lady w backrest, R&G FE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohh yeah.. my speedo is off by a few MPH for sure, but that is a good thing since I am always going to fast
    That was a interesting story, thanks for sharing... hahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12