What are these (non-FZ6)?

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Long-story shorter, I purchased a 1990 Yamaha FZR600R a few months back. It's a definite fix-up project, as it's not clear was it was last running, or even started. As I understand it, the previous owner (1-owner bike, has 57k miles) is currently in an Alzheimers facility. His wife is cleaning out his garage, and getting help from some friendly motorcyclists (I believe she has a hair-salon, and cuts one of the guy's hair). So the bike is in a certain amount of disrepair, but I like the idea of getting his bike working again. The bike was sold with a bunch of assorted parts - including a 2nd engine? - which the cyclists sorted through and tried to pick out what belonged to the FZR. Some of the parts seem to fit, some do not - and some might have been ordered during his mental decline.

Anyway, below are what I can't place. Probably easy for someone with more knowledge than I, which is the reason for asking. Thanks for anything!

MVIMG_20191203_093941.jpg

And here is the bike...

MVIMG_20190915_160123.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe they're the original rider peg brackets and the ones on the bike are aftermarket to get the rider's feet in a different position.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe they're the original rider peg brackets and the ones on the bike are aftermarket to get the rider's feet in a different position.

I think it is this - rather, the original rider peg brackets are mounted, and what I have are 3rd-party ones that he obtained - but to what end, I'm not certain, as they don't seem to radically change the foot position (they might be longer, e.g. move the footpegs back a bit).

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1990/fzr600ra/stand-footrest Part Nos. 16 and 17, Bracket 2 and Bracket 3. This ebay posting has better pictures - https://www.ebay.com/p/1349633067
s-l1600.jpg

- so what I have matches up decently, though what I have is a bit more crude/simpler.

MVIMG_20191203_123048.jpg

Thank you!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the OEM is probably cast and the after market is CNC'd from a solid piece.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is this - rather, the original rider peg brackets are mounted, and what I have are 3rd-party ones that he obtained - but to what end, I'm not certain, as they don't seem to radically change the foot position (they might be longer, e.g. move the footpegs back a bit).

If he had larger feet/shoes, those machined parts could have been made specifically to move the pegs back some, so his larger feet would fit better and allow better shifting..

Naw, the shifter goes with the peg, wouldn't make a difference..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Next thread will be Carburetors 101! Blah

Nice find! Unfortunate circumstances but still that looks to be workable!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Next thread will be Carburetors 101! Blah

Nice find! Unfortunate circumstances but still that looks to be workable!

Yup, you called it. Halfway through the carb now... it's not as bad as I thought it might be. I'm hopeful but we'll see. Starter turns over, fuel pump works, so there is a shot.

As for the pegs - I think this bike sits a bit more comfortable than the FZR1000.... feels less 'stretched out'. Maybe I'll keep her!