ST2 Self-Cancelling Indicators

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
https://safer-turn.com/smart-turn-system/
Has anybody on the forum installed this self-cancelling indicator system?

The appeal is that this device will turn off the indicators after you make a turn or lane change, or 15-20 seconds if you don’t turn. So no more constant blinking if you forget to cancel them!

I already bought one, two actually. A friend installed one on his FJR about a year ago and then posted good instructions. I was just hoping someone here might already have done that with their FZ6.

The manufacturer web page has absolutely no info on installation. Very frustrating. Several pages I found say the installation is simple but one step, modification of the signal switch, is twitchy. The manufacturer sends a set of foam disks that are supposed to help reset the indicator switch after each press, but the spacing is critical and most folks take quite a while to find the correct amount of foam.

The cost isn’t extravagant. The list price is down to $179 but if you use their “will this fit my bike” button, they will send you a discount code/link for $70 off.

Norm Kern’s instructions for the FJR. They’re in Facebook. You will need to open the first photo then read the text/comments on each one.

For mounting the device:
https://www.facebook.com/norm.kern.1/media_set?set=a.10213456519224994&type=3&hc_location=ufi

For the electrical connections:
https://www.facebook.com/norm.kern.1/media_set?set=a.10213456758950987&type=3&hc_location=ufi

For the switch modification – he twisted a paperclip into a spring.
https://www.facebook.com/norm.kern.1/media_set?set=a.10213457388606728&type=3&hc_location=ufi

Might anybody on here [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] know how I can get my hands on a set of Sumitomo sealed 13-pin connectors so I can make the fancy harness that Norm wanted to do? I’ll also be wanting a set of connectors like whatever is used in that spot on the FZ6.

I’ll have to save this project for later this winter. It’s 60 here today. Gotta get out riding.

Chris Shoop

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that the weather turned cold, it's time to start 'farkleizing'! :)

For connectors, try Motorcycle Connectors. Joe has a lot to offer and knows his stuff. if you are not sire of the correct connector, drop him a line with a photo and he usually comes through!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it was my Yamaha XS400 that had auto cancelling turn indicators. I think it remained on for so many feet after you were rolling. The tech they used to do this would probably be a little different today from those days. Oh crap! Was that 1976-7? :rolleyes::bow::rockon: Well at least I survived my mullet hair along the way.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tom - checking in with Joe at MotorcycleConnectors. His site lists a 12-pin version. I'm hoping he'll find the 13-pin match. But the FJR only uses 11 of those 13 spots, so I could buy two sets of the 12-pin version and make a nice harness to insert.

Cliff - Yes, I had a 1977 RD400 that had auto-cancelling signals. No mullet for me though. I alternated between long hair and in the summer, a crewcut.

The ST2 device uses an inertia sensor to detect turns and lane changes.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I'm wondering is why you need a 13 pin connector. When I put in the info for my bike compatibility they want my email address to tell me wether my biker is compatible. It was in the pull down list. Can they not tell me while I'm on the web page? They should probably list the few bikes it wouldn't be compatible with.

So far it's a self cancelling order for the product. LOL!

I would like to see how it's wired... :)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. I was really unimpressed with their sales pitch on the web page. All fancy animated stuff with zero facts. If I didn't trust my FJR friend who already did the installation, I would not have bought this, two of these.

I suspect the people that make the device are hoping to sell them as generic as possible so they can be used on just about any bike. The device works with incandescent or LED signals. The problem is that most folks will not want to cut into their bike's wiring, and many of those who will be willing, will not want to leave a mess like what will result from using the supplied connectors. Finicky bastards, ain't we?

The device itself is a black cube, 2x3x5 cm on a side. I'll send a pic tonight when I get home. Eight wires exit from one end. The six wires that connect to the blinker system have unsealed bullet or socket terminals, and the mates are supplied to crimp onto the ends that you cut in the harness. The other two wires (12v power) have spade connectors that pair to a crimp-on splice adaptor - that I think would be a sure cause of faults.

Here are diagrams from the facebook instructions that my friend posted.

Manufacturer suggested wiring:

ST2 Std Installation.jpg

IDEAL harness - if a 13-pin connector were available.

ST2 IDEAL Harness.jpg

Improvised harness - using Sumitomo 2- and 3-wire sealed connectors.

ST2 Improvised Harness.jpg

They did not show what connector they used for the power. Note that they pulled the three blinker signal wires from each side of the 13-pin connector to go into the two 3-pin Sumitomos.

The beauty of the IDEAL harness would be that if you want to remove the device, you would just take the added harness out and the original signalling/cancelling would resume. Well, as soon as you remove the foam disks or paperclip springs from the handlebar switch.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Chris! :)

When you get the unit maybe you can post the instructions or document wire color code to connections. This would help people figure out wether in was compatible with their bike and how we could wire it without a special harness.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ST2 pic.jpg

Here's the pic. I've had the device since last Wednesday. It showed up right before my son, daughter-in-law, and 14 month old granddaughter came to visit for Thanksgiving. So, it sat till they returned to NJ.

The device is a small cube, about 2x3x5 cm on a side. It has a 55 cm wiring harness with eight leads. In the bike's wiring harness you find the three wires that go from the indicator relay to the indicator stalks. See the diagram in my earlier post for the "Manufacturer Suggested Wiring," You cut them and crimp on the provided bullet or socket terminals. Then three of the leads from the device are connected to the signal wires that come from the indicator relay. Another three go to the wires that go to the stalks. Two wires are connected to the switched power leads. Crimp on tap-in connectors are provided for the power leads connections. The cube must be fastened firmly with the arrow facing forward and the logo on the top side.

So, no, it is not necessary to fabricate a fancy harness. But I am concerned because the provided bullet and socket terminals are not the sealed variety. So the connections can be subject to water intrusion and eventually to corrosion. So I'm planning to make a harness using sealed connectors. I expect it will cost $20 or less and might add an hour to the installation. Not a big deal.

By the way, the connector guy that Tom mentioned found an American guy in Japan who can sell me the 13-pin connectors. So, I can make the fancy connector for my FJR. THANKS TOM!

I expect the FZ6 will be using a different connector, but I intend to try to do the same sort of harness for it.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/TS025/ts025.html

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chris,
Does it come with instruction for direct wiring that refers to the color code of the wires provided?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chris,
Does it come with instruction for direct wiring that refers to the color code of the wires provided?

Cliff,

The provided instructions tell you what color wire to connect to each function, e.g. blue wire from ST2 connects to signal wire from bike for left signal, and green wire from ST2 goes to the lead to the left side signal lights. But it doesn't say anything about what color those wires will be on the bike. So, it's a bit of checking. The wiring diagram in the service manual should be helpful.

I will probably be opening up the FZ6 when it's supposed to rain on Sunday. Sat should be a good day to get a ride in. I will post wire colors and what sorts of connectors are used in the stock harness.

Gary - regarding shrink wrap, I could do that. Or, there's this neat stuff that I found called liquid electrical tape.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...gQCFTfYN56IW5mCvoshoCjXAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I'd rather have a cleaner looking installation. So I'll buy a fancy connector if I can find one that fits the original harness. Not that I'm OCD, or overly fussy, but.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff,

The provided instructions tell you what color wire to connect to each function, e.g. blue wire from ST2 connects to signal wire from bike for left signal, and green wire from ST2 goes to the lead to the left side signal lights. But it doesn't say anything about what color those wires will be on the bike. So, it's a bit of checking. The wiring diagram in the service manual should be helpful.

I will probably be opening up the FZ6 when it's supposed to rain on Sunday. Sat should be a good day to get a ride in. I will post wire colors and what sorts of connectors are used in the stock harness.

Gary - regarding shrink wrap, I could do that. Or, there's this neat stuff that I found called liquid electrical tape.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...gQCFTfYN56IW5mCvoshoCjXAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I'd rather have a cleaner looking installation. So I'll buy a fancy connector if I can find one that fits the original harness. Not that I'm OCD, or overly fussy, but.
Yes. Can you tell me what color wires connect to what function? Then I can match it to wire color code on the FZ6.:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A bit of progress.

There is a convenient connector set just below the left side cowling cover that you would remove in order to lift the tank. The wires for the turn signals are in the 10- pin connector that is stacked above the smaller connector. I think the smaller one handles the wires to the speedo/instrument panel.

Location of connectors for Front Signals and Headlights

FZ6 Front Connectors.jpg

I THINK that you can get to all of the wires needed within this one connector.
Black is ground (duh) dk green is left signal, Chocolate is right.
I THINK the blue wire is for the front running lights in the front stalks. That wire should suffice to provide the switched +12 v for the cancelling device power.

Cliff - In the company provided instructions in post #13, they refer to a wire that is "signal to motorcycle" or "signal to handlebar." Is this just the ground to the turn signal bulbs? So for the FZ6 this is the same as the ground for the device power supply? If so, why have three leads to the device?

I found a source for the connectors/terminals that will match the FZ6 stock wiring harness. (Thanks Tom.) With these connectors and a bit of time, I will make a harness for the STS signal cancelling device, so that it will drop right into the stock wiring without any cutting. This way, if/when I sell the bike I can move the device to the new one. Just in case they stop making them.

The connectors are the 10-pin version of the Sumitomo non-sealed HM .090 series.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/hm-non-sealed-series.html

Invest in the ECT47 crimping tool if you choose this path.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A bit of progress.

There is a convenient connector set just below the left side cowling cover that you would remove in order to lift the tank. The wires for the turn signals are in the 10- pin connector that is stacked above the smaller connector. I think the smaller one handles the wires to the speedo/instrument panel.

Location of connectors for Front Signals and Headlights

View attachment 73302

I THINK that you can get to all of the wires needed within this one connector.
Black is ground (duh) dk green is left signal, Chocolate is right.
I THINK the blue wire is for the front running lights in the front stalks. That wire should suffice to provide the switched +12 v for the cancelling device power.

Cliff - In the company provided instructions in post #13, they refer to a wire that is "signal to motorcycle" or "signal to handlebar." Is this just the ground to the turn signal bulbs? So for the FZ6 this is the same as the ground for the device power supply? If so, why have three leads to the device?

I found a source for the connectors/terminals that will match the FZ6 stock wiring harness. (Thanks Tom.) With these connectors and a bit of time, I will make a harness for the STS signal cancelling device, so that it will drop right into the stock wiring without any cutting. This way, if/when I sell the bike I can move the device to the new one. Just in case they stop making them.

The connectors are the 10-pin version of the Sumitomo non-sealed HM .090 series.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/hm-non-sealed-series.html

Invest in the ECT47 crimping tool if you choose this path.

I think the term signal to the motorcycle and signal to the handle bar refer to the wire going to the actual light and the signal from the directional switch. In other words I feel the wording is incorrect and can be misunderstood. I think how they're doing this is interrupting the left or right signal to the lamp. I don't have much time today but I will look deeper later on this...

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Further insight, still not ready to install,

That third set of wires to and from the cancelling device are for the flasher relay. Before modification the flasher relay wire goes to the center post of the turn signal selector switch.

This means that the convenient connector that I showed in a pic, above, won't work. That connector point is where you can disconnect the wiring when removing the front fairing, So it only has the left and right signal wires for the front signal stalks and does not contain a wire with the flasher relay. The insertion point for the device needs to be on the harness for the harness to the left handlebar switch. I'm working to get the airbox out so I can see if there is a connector inside there,

It looks like Yamaha moved the flasher relay for the S2 version into the front fairing, and our of the side panel. My Haynes shows the S1 version.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found the connector that handles the wiring from the left handlebar switch. It is inside the frame in front of the battery box. Sorry, but you have to deal with lifting the fuel tank. Of course the connectors is a different type than the one I ordered when I thought I could tap into the system with the connector that is inside the fairing. Joe at CycleTerminals identified that connector as a 12-pin unsealed Sumitomo MT090. He doesn't carry that one so I ordered it from the Eastern Beaver site - it will take a week or more till it's delivered.

So, with the set of connectors, I will be able to make a harness that will insert the signal cancelling device instead of cutting and splicing several wires. The power supply wires will be easy because the battery is right there. I will probably mount the box part of the device inside the frame rather than outside someplace on the fairing or fairing stay.
FZ6 Turn Signal Conn 1.jpg

FZ6 Turn Signal Conn 2.jpg
FZ6 Turn Signal Conn 3.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great Chris! We have a member that's looking to get the low beam functioning with the H7 lamp for a naked conversion. I believe you're at the plug that has the switched low beam, green wire, where the bd43 kit snaps into. As you can see that green wire does not continue through the plug. I'll use your findings as an example.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found the connector that handles the wiring from the left handlebar switch. It is inside the frame in front of the battery box. Sorry, but you have to deal with lifting the fuel tank. Of course the connectors is a different type than the one I ordered when I thought I could tap into the system with the connector that is inside the fairing. Joe at CycleTerminals identified that connector as a 12-pin unsealed Sumitomo MT090. He doesn't carry that one so I ordered it from the Eastern Beaver site - it will take a week or more till it's delivered.

So, with the set of connectors, I will be able to make a harness that will insert the signal cancelling device instead of cutting and splicing several wires. The power supply wires will be easy because the battery is right there. I will probably mount the box part of the device inside the frame rather than outside someplace on the fairing or fairing stay.
View attachment 73364

View attachment 73365
View attachment 73366

You would have a lot more room to work if you ditched the coils and went got the Coil Over Plug mod :)