How effed am I ( Damage around the front sprocket area)

Karl2991

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, so my chain broke while I was riding. I have an 09 fz6r, and when I started taking it apart to replace the chain and sprocket, I noticed there was more damage to the bike then I was hoping. I'm not sure exactly what it is that's broken, so I was hoping someone can tell me what it's called, and roughly what it usually costs to replace it.

I got the bike for pretty cheap, with a little over 20k miles on it, and I've put over another 25k miles on it my self. It was my first bike, and it's ran great for me over the last two years with very little maintenance or upkeep (I know that's bad of me) and I just don't know if it's even going to be worth it for me to take it to the shop to get it fixed at this point.

I hope the quality of the pictures I uploaded are good enough for you guys to see the damage I'm referring to. If not I'll upload to an image hosting site and link them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20191124_145642.jpg
    20191124_145642.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191124_145739.jpg
    20191124_145739.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 54
  • 20191124_145744.jpg
    20191124_145744.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56

Karl2991

Reaction score
Visit site
The white line slightly above, and to the right of the chain is another crack

When I uploaded the images they some how got turned sideways, so it's not how I originally took the pictures. I'm not sure if there is a way for me to fix that. All the images need to be rotated to the right once to be in the direction I originally took the pictures.

If you guys need a picture that's not so close to get a better idea of it, let me know.

Attachments

• 20191124_145702.jpg
    20191124_145702.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 43
  • 20191124_145800.jpg
    20191124_145800.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Karl2991

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry im trying to provide as much info as possible to help you guys help me. This picture also needs to be rotated to the right once to be at its original angle. I believe the picture is of the push lever shaft, and the drive chain guide. What it's connected to is what's been damaged.

Attachments

• 20191124_143623.jpg
    20191124_143623.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 44

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] Hopefully these members might jump in with better knowledge on this because I no longer have the FZ6 and I'm not familiar with those cast parts.

Did you remove the sprocket nut?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like the slave cylinder itself, is broke. Un-bolt and remove the clutch slave cylinder, chain guard and see if the engine block has been damaged.

Some pic's of that area with the slave unit removed would help*

A little chain lube would have prevented that chain from rusting/locking up/breaking too...Pay me now or pay me later... :(

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A little chain lube would have prevented that chain from rusting/locking up/breaking too..

Yeah, I hate to Monday-morning-QB this, but I have to agree with Scott. That chain has corrosion on the rollers, it was obviously unloved and not taken care of. With that said, you did get 45,000 miles out of it. I suspect that if you weren't taking care of the chain, you probably aren't taking care of other maintenance. An unmaintained motorcycle can get expensive (which you are now painfully aware), but worse, it can get dangerous. Now is good time to go over the entire bike and look at normal wear items, but also any signs potential failure (change brake fluids, inspect brake lines, lube the cables, grease all rotation points, inspect air filter and airbox....)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That had to be one screaming loud chain. Yikes!!!
Agree with above posts. No love there and ya, your have to do some damage to get that out.

I'd suggest a cutoff disc to dissect the chain vs risking busting the engine case by prying the chain out. Take your time cutting it up and you might be ok.

FWIW our FZ6 doesn't have slave cylinder there.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First, assuming that you got lucky and only one or two parts need to be replaced, PLEASE get some help and do all of the maintenance checks that Gary suggests before you put this bike back on the road. (Rant over, I feel better now :) )

Next, be happy that you have an FZ6R, at least for this issue. The frame is steel instead of cast aluminum, and it looks like the Yamaha engineers put an reasonably easily replaceable part between the case and the flailing chain. Which they did not do for the FZ6.

Realizing that this is the FZ6R, I THINK the part you need is the "Cover, Generator 2 20S-15425-00-00" which is part #26 on this company's parts listing.

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046b91f8700209bc796a56/crankcase-cover-1

The part is actually part of the clutch assembly, where it converts the linear pull of the clutch cable into a rotation around that shaft. I would have named it the "clutch shaft holder" but what do I know.

You need to buy part 26. You should also get the bolts, two of #33 and one of #9.
You can probably reuse parts 27, 28, 30 and 31. But I'm a pessimist about pulling out bearings so I would buy those.
You should definitely buy part #29 - the oil seal.
You should probably buy two of part 32 and one of part 36. But you can evaluate these when you get the original off of the mounts.

NOTE that the drawing does not show the shaft that runs from the clutch cable arm down into the "holder". That should be undamaged and reusable.
It also does not show the shaft that will run from withing the case, through the seal, and into the back side of the "holder. That is probably also undamaged.
Be careful to clean both shafts carefully and apply engine oil during reassembly.

If the crankcase is cracked, then you have bigger, more expensive problems. But you probably can't see that till you get the chain, sprocket, and "generator cover" out of the way. Unless it is already leaking oil...

Good luck.

Anybody else, please chime in???

Please let us know what you find and whether you get her back on the road.

Chris

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the Op hasn't came back and was reluctant to do simple maintenance, I doubt he'll do the repairs.

Looks easy enough parts wise (from what we can see), someone else will likely putting "hands on"...

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the not coming back, but i also don't think it was one of our bikes, i'm not sure but the clutch slave on the chain side shouldnt be on any yamaha using the '03 r6 engine .

but it does go to show what simple maintenance can save you

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This summer I saw 250 Ninja jump in the air and the you lad pulled over. I followed.

Could have been OP here as the chain was so stretched, dry, worn and off both sprockets.

He didn't know what a tool kit was, if the bike had one, much less how to put the chain back on.

It was so worn it all but dropped back on with minimal axle movement. He was dead set on riding 5mi to home. I fitted it, adjusted it, grabbed some oil from the IS-350, saturated it, and laughed that there were no orings and it could be turned 45° at the midsection.

I told him I'd walk before riding that as there could be fatal consequences. He rode off. Hope he made it safely.