Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ShoopCE (OP)
    Super Member Hitch Height for HF Folding Trailer? ShoopCE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Hitch Height for HF Folding Trailer?

Well, the trailer went on sale, $259, down from the usual sale price of $299. So I picked up the only one in the local store. I'm planning to use it to take the bike to farther destinations like NC and TN, and probably when we visit the in-laws in NY.

I'll be adding a hitch to my Mazda6, from eTrailer.com. I'm certain I will need to get a drawbar with a pretty substantial rise because the car bumper is pretty low. They don't have unusual ones like this in the stores, so I would rather order one when I order the hitch. I checked the trailer assembly manual and it doesn't list the hitch height needed.

So, can any of you who have one of these tell me, when the trailer is level, the distance from the ground to either the top or the bottom of the coupler?

I've read that the trailer doesn't fold very cleanly when you use 3/4 in plywood for the deck. Has anybody tried moving the two hinges so that there's more clearance for the deck and maybe some D rings?

I'm planning to use a simple front wheel chock and then a Tyre Down for the rear wheel so I don't have to compress the suspension. Oh yeah, and repacking the bearings.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

ShoopCE (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hitch Height for HF Folding Trailer?

Nobody???

The answer MIGHT be 12.5 inches. A guy on another forum noted that the assembly manual for the smaller non-folding version lists the hitch height as 12.5 inches. That version has the same wheels and appears to have the same springs, so the height should be close. I guess that would be to the top of the tongue, not to the top of the ball.

Anyway, if this is correct, then I won't need a drawbar with a lot of rise so I should be able to buy it locally. Which means I'll wait till I've assembled it and can measure.

Howie Mandel's evil twin Hitch Height for HF Folding Trailer? Erci's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just saw the post. You will not need a drawbar. I used this trailer with my Protege5. No issues. Just had a hitch bar with a bit of a rise.

It's true, the trailer won't fold completely flat with 3/4" plywood base, but if you do it right, the gap will be minimal. When folder, the gap on mine is about 6".. which does not affect how close I can get the trailer to the wall, since other parts hit the wall before the deck does.

Another thing that'll get in the way of it folding flat is the bolt heads you use to secure plywood to the deck, where the trailer folds. The heads will bottom out on top of each other. To get around this, I went with flat heads, so they sit flush with plywood.

Repacking the bearings is a must, as the stuff from the factory is just there to keep the rust away.. it's not proper wheel bearing / marine grease.

Consider a better way to route the wiring.. it's easy to cut those wires as you fold / unfold the trailer if you use the suggested routing.

Here's how I did mine: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=38

4. Thanks ShoopCE, Nelly, Motogiro thanked for this post
    ShoopCE (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Eric,

The tech services guys at Harbor Freight (1-800-444-3353) told me the height should be 14" I measured 1.75" decrease at the bumper when I add my 230 lb to the bumper so I'm guessing I need to add an inch to allow for about 100 lbs added to the hitch point.

I ordered a Hidden Hitch from eTrailer. This one comes with the ball connector which seems to be just the right dimensions. Still haven't assembled the trailer because I'm painting the red frame pieces to change to black.

6. Thanks Erci, Motogiro thanked for this post
    ShoopCE (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the trailer is built now - well at least it's on the wheels and the coupler is mounted. And the answer is... drum roll please .... 14 inches to the top of the ball mount bar or bottom of the ball.

The guy at HF had the correct number, and happily the ball mount included with the Hidden Hitch is just at the right spot.

Now to finish the wiring and to paint and mount the deck and wheel chock.

Next, I want to evaluate perhaps avoiding getting a ramp, by adding an extra tall jack to the front and then pushing the bike up the inclined deck.

I'll probably get the ramp - the cost is about the same, but I want to try this.

Chris