Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    zixaq (OP)
    Super Member Gear Aid "Tenatious Tape" is seriously impressive stuff zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gear Aid "Tenatious Tape" is seriously impressive stuff

I was looking for a good way to patch my riding jacket that was damaged in a crash in January and found this fabric repair tape called "Tenacious Tape" for about five bucks on amazon. I am extremely impressed. Blends in with the jacket more or less and looks way better than other options I tried, and so far is holding really well. For kicks, I used some of the leftover to patch the seat on my office chair and that's working well, too.

This stuff is magic. Keep some around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045CQELI

2. Thanks Motogiro, Cloggy, Ohendo thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gear Aid "Tenatious Tape" is seriously impressive stuff

I'm not doubting the tenacity of the tape, but I certainly wouldn't trust my skin to a jacket that is taped together. This is crash gear first, temperature/comfort management second, fashion third. That taped section will be the first to fail you, and I would put money that its in a location that will hit the ground first or drag the longest.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

4. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    zixaq (OP)
    Super Member Gear Aid "Tenatious Tape" is seriously impressive stuff zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    I'm not doubting the tenacity of the tape, but I certainly wouldn't trust my skin to a jacket that is taped together. This is crash gear first, temperature/comfort management second, fashion third. That taped section will be the first to fail you, and I would put money that its in a location that will hit the ground first or drag the longest.
    If I thought the repair was a risky one I wouldn't have tried it. The jacket is still in good shape other than a hole in the front side of the shoulder, which is not a likely area for first touchdown. If it makes you uncomfortable, nobody is making you use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s your skin. Enjoy the tape repair.
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 03-05-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

7. Thanks trepetti thanked for this post
    Likes trepetti liked this post
    It's all good! Gear Aid "Tenatious Tape" is seriously impressive stuff trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I feel the same as Gary on all points. If it were me, the jacket goes out for professional repair or more likely, gets tossed. I will save money on lots of stuff, but NOTHING having to do with my motorcycle or gear.

But I also agree with him that we need to make up our own minds about the risks we take. I hope the OP never gets hurt because of the repair, but not my idea of a good thing to do.

Ride safe.
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip, I'm in need for a good tape. I have a hole in my side wall in the front tire. No, really thanks for the tip. Your repair seems reasonable to me. Good luck.