off brand question

Redonthehead

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a chance to get an 07 zx14 for a steal. Heres the issue with it. Riding down the road after it is warm and ur just cruising yes yes yes and it goes blah blah blah then back to yes yes yes it feels like it loses all power for a few seconds then its fine again. it is doing it pretty much every time it gets ridden according to the owner it started doing every now and then now its every time. He had someone tell him its the stator or rectifier and/or both on their way out. I havent bought the bike but want too so dont have FSB yet does anyone know what the ohms resistance should be and what running ac voltage should be? Ill buy this beast if it just needs a stator and the owner will let me test it. I know this forum is for our FZ's so get it if im told to pound send on this post. any info here would be much appreciated. BTW the FZ is running great with new head faster than it was b4 new chain and sprocket kits from amazon suck ass dont buy them lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At least it isn't an off color question. :p

I agree with Gary. I would first think it's an intermittent electrical issue. Does not sound like a stator R/R problem. That would not cause the symptom you describe.

The fact that it's after the bike runs for a while could mean a plug where power runs through could be the culprit. Could be a fuel pump issue. Could be the valve lash was not done and the valves are not closing and/or are damaged.
If someone tried to sell me a bike this way I would just walk away.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the RR has a thermal intermittent where it gave up the ghost on rectifying the stator AC it might allow enough ripple to cause problem but you'd need a scope to see it and the scope would have to ride with you. Another stator possibility also related thermally would be a short to ground. Again you would monitor voltage on the ride when it lost power but if voltages are normal during the power loss these scenarios are unlikely.

As with all intermittents check the obvious battery connections and don't rule out the kill switch. You might jump the kill switch to see if the problem is cured.

Redonthehead

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys It turned out it was the almighty TPS took quite a bit of time and almost completely stripping the bike down we checked just about every wire on the whole bike and connectors too LOL. My buddy ended up buying the bike. 1600$ - $180 for the TPS and two days of drinking beer and testing, Priceless.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a TPS pass the continuity test but it was still bad because it had noisy operation. Sometimes you need an O scope... :)