Booster Plug - 2008 FZ6n

chlowen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've had my FZ6 since Sept 2018, I have come to love this bikes handling and power, one thing that was bothering me was the throttle's abruptness at low speeds and also when cutting the throttle off in a corner and then back on which results in a bit of a surge, very unsettling in tight fast corners. I did a lot of research and weighed up the costs of potential fixes(Powercomander, ECU Refresh, Throttle tamer, TPS alignment, BoosterPlug, Chain tension, throttle slack) My bike has good chain and throttle cable tension, so i knew it wasn't either of the free fixes, I wasn't sold on the throttle tamer as I ride a KTM 300 so I know how to use my right hand on a throttle. I read all the information available about the BoosterPlug before I purchased, it is quite a simple device but it did look promising, it took 5 minutes to fit. My bike is now smooth off the line from a standstill, it is smooth when chopping the throttle at speed or in a corner(important one for me), I am very happy with how my bike now handles it's fuel injection.

The boosterplug simply tricks the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is 20 deg Celsius lower than what it really is, so the ECU adds more fuel to the bike, but it only does this when the throttle is being moved, it doesn't do it when you are cruising.

The BoosterPlug E Book on ECU fuel injection explains how our fuel injection works in open and closed circuit modes, open is when the throttle is being twisted so the ECU reads the ambient temp via the Air Temp sensor(BoosterPlug - 20deg more fuel to smooth things out)
When you are cruising and the throttle is stationary the ECU is now in closed mode and uses the O2 sensor in the exhaust(Not the Air Temp Sensor) to measure how much fuel is needed by reading the amount of unburned oxygen, therefore the BoosterPlug isn't telling the ECU to use more fuel when in closed mode.

It is a super simple device that is quite clever. I hope this review is helpful to some.

Regards,

Paul.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! :)
Sounds like a promising fix for snatchy throttle. The S1 (2004 to 2006) FZ6 does not employ O2 sensor.

TKBone

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered, thanks for this information! I will post my experience with it. Where did you position the ntc?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Will this unit work without an O2 sensor that the 2004-2006 does not have? Or can it operate independently just off TPS changed value.

There are no open to closed loop functions on the earlier FZ6.. It's just open loop...

Kaneda13

Reaction score
Visit site
As an automotive mechanic, I am VERY dubious of this. Perhaps the ECU is utilized substantially different on a bike an in a car, but that's certainly not how it works in a car. A car needs to know 4 things all the time when it's on O2 control (once engine and Catalyst is at operating temperature regardless of part/closed/idle throttle), Air flow (MAF or MAP), incoming air temp, coolant temp, and engine RPM. It uses these 4 things to calculate how long to hold the injectors open since it knows how much flows through an injector per millisecond. Automotive ECUs will adapt as well. I've hooked diag computers to cars to show a customer that within 100 miles the ECU has adapted to lower the base amount of fuel prior to adding fuel for the intake air temp sensor readings. Seems pretty dubious to me.

chlowen

Reaction score
Visit site
As an automotive mechanic, I am VERY dubious of this. Perhaps the ECU is utilized substantially different on a bike an in a car, but that's certainly not how it works in a car. A car needs to know 4 things all the time when it's on O2 control (once engine and Catalyst is at operating temperature regardless of part/closed/idle throttle), Air flow (MAF or MAP), incoming air temp, coolant temp, and engine RPM. It uses these 4 things to calculate how long to hold the injectors open since it knows how much flows through an injector per millisecond. Automotive ECUs will adapt as well. I've hooked diag computers to cars to show a customer that within 100 miles the ECU has adapted to lower the base amount of fuel prior to adding fuel for the intake air temp sensor readings. Seems pretty dubious to me.

Hi Kaneda,

My understanding, which is very limited and only from the Book written by the inventor of the Booster plug. Below are the models he references when discussing the Fuel Injection models for bikes. If it is something you are interested in I suggest downloading a copy from here: Free Motorcycle Fuel Injection e-book he goes into great detail about the delay from throttle movement to O2 reading to the booster plug adding more fuel and so on.

Open Circuit.jpg

BoosterPlug.jpg

TKBone

Reaction score
Visit site
She is softer on the throttle now, so there is positive change. Don't know if it's worth the price but i will keep it. BUT: going fast in the twisties she's consuming a bit more fuel. (Reserve 260km instead of 280)

Last edited: