Installing short throttle grip on FZ6

MichaelFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody from frozen Russia! And pardon my english skills, they are getting worse each time I write here.

I want to install short grip on throttle, so I can twist my hand on lower angle and get full throttle (attachment 2). One guy in our community recently made such mod with a grip from R6 and pretty satisfied with results. I tried to google similar cases but found nothing. So I have some questions that I hope you can answer!

1. One idea is to buy this tube https://www.motionpro.com/product/01-0094 , I found one in stock in russian shop. The thing is, I only found one example of it's usage on different bike. So far it is the best option for me. I dont have dimensions of the disc, where the throttle cables are installed, therefore I cant compare. In attachment there is a grip from R6 with such diameter. Does anybody have experience with this tube?

2. Second plan is to use basically any throttle grip from any damaged bike. I need to get throttle disc diameter ~40mm , cables play as shown in attachment and grip length similar to mine. I tried to ask at one big shop, described the situation, the said "we have many grips, come and measure yourself". Have anyone installed grip from another bike to fz6? I live in a small town, so I will have to google grips dimensions for each case and hope it will fit.

3. Buy grip from totalled R6 as this guy in our community done. The easiest way, though for some reason I cant find such grip.

4. Cant find anything good on aliexpress. All grips which I found have diameter of ~32 mm, which is low.

So what should I do? Motion pro tube is long ago discontinued, I messaged russian shop for some dimensions of the tube. Tried searching this forum, cant find anything about throttle grip.

Attachments

• grips_diam.jpg
    grips_diam.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 48
  • grip_diff.jpg
    grip_diff.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 50

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think your NOT talking about SHORTENING the actual GRIP and throttle TUBE.

If you want the tube actually SHORTER:
If you bike has stock bar ends (with weights) I'd just shorten your current throttle tube.

The grip's end can be cut down too as your bar end weight will be hiding all the trimmed parts..

***Now, if your referring to LESS throttle turning, a G2 throttle tube installed will shorten the actual turning "distance". More on/off movement.

Do a search, I know their available for FJR's, not sure about the FZ..

Last edited:

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
Michael, I believe what you're looking for is a quick turn throttle (also referred to as a 1/4 turn throttle). I have done this mod on other bikes I've owned in the past as I like the faster response a quick turn throttle provides. As mentioned above, G2 Ergonomics https://www.g2ergo.com/ is one option. For a Kawasaki Z750S I briefly had I used a G2 Kawasaki KX250 throttle tube. For my Triumph Street Triple I used a throttle tube from a Triumph Speed Triple. The FZ6 already has a fairly quick turn throttle as delivered. I just checked mine and it is exactly 1/4 turn from closed to wide open throttle (I have adjusted my throttle cables so there is no slop/looseness). The R6 throttle tube has a different part number than the FZ6 but I suspect (I have not confirmed) it is close if not the same as the FZ6 tube. If you don't mind being a bit creative you can modify your current throttle tube. There are many posts/threads/videos on the internet where riders have used plastic (zip) ties or sections of pvc tube to modify their stock throttle tubes.

MichaelFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for my english, I was talking about throttle tube. The google search works better if I type "short throttle grip". Now, some results:

1. Motion pro tube is too small, the diameter is 36.6 mm which is equal to FZ6 stock one (as the guy who installed R6 tube said).
2. G2 short tube like this https://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-competition-quick-turn-throttle/ is very cool but the price is too much comparing to R6 tube. Also delivery from USA to Russia will cost about 30$.
3. Now I am planning to install tube from totalled R6 and searching the best price. It costs about 15$ without delivery.

MichaelFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
throttleTube.jpg

Some update. I bought a tube from totalled R6 2007 year, it cost me 15$ and 3$ for delivery. I cant install it by myself because I cant get off the grip end, so I'll do it in motorcycle workshop and post results here. I included pictures with tube dimensions, I think it's not nessesary to look for tube from R6 bike, you can search for tube with similar parameters.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What part are you trying to remove?

Being a factory part, the tube IS part or where the cable attaches.

You just have to move your grip to the R tube..

If it's the grip itself you can't remove (from the tube), just cut it off and use your old grip..
A thin screwdriver GENTLY pushed with Windex/soapy water in-between the grip and tube will usually break the seal.

Last edited:

MichaelFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
To finish the topic:

I installed the tube, it works very good! Driving in city is much easier with it. The installation is pretty straightforward, the only important thing is that if you decide to clean the contacts on start engine button, be really careful because there is a VERY SMALL metal sphere and even SMALLER spring under it. I think I lost the spring because now my switch does not sit firmly in the place.

All in all, I highly recommend installing this mod, it's cheap, easy to install and improves driving experience a lot.