Diagnostic mode

Redonthehead

Reaction score
Visit site
OK got a cpl questions for the fazer guys. First my bike is an 06 I am the second owner pretty sure it is bone stock. Can I put this bike into diagnostic mode being 04-06 model? Second I am wanting to sync my throttle bodies which cylinder do I use as a base when I hook up the manometer? If per say I use #1 is there a test to verify #1 is correct in itself.

Redonthehead

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so found thread on diagnositic mode and did it all it said was diag pushed select and nothing comes up I am guessing that means no codes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle body #1 is your base.

Page 3-17 of the S1 Yamaha manual explains the procedure.

Yamaha calls for a certain pressure # to try to obtain however, I, being at sea level couldn't get close to it.
As long as you can adjust your idle (up and down), are at approx. 3/4 a turn out (for #1), adjust away.

Note, the adjustment is VERY touchy and adjusting one cylinder WILL affect another. I use a large commercial fan in front of the radiator/engine as I do fine tune, see below, (which takes time).

The initial setting is usually about 3/4 a turn out, adjust the others accordingly to even them up.

Factory spec's allow for up to 10 mm's difference however the closer the better. I would also recommend holding the throttle at 4k and re-adjusting. That alone helps with vibs. Re-adjust at idle and get a good average.

Pic of my recent TB sync after a valve adjustment:

Had to adjust #4, both exhaust valves (too tight by .001"):

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In short your goal is to get the OEM vacuum, at the designated RPM, while establishing mid-range adjustment points for your idle speed and sync ports.

And if you were to stroll through a shop with an O2 sniffer, these "OEM" settings would all agree if done right.

Keep in mind that this setup pretty much has a fixed volume of fuel at any "normal operating" rpm so what you are changing with the sync screws is the air volume into the engine.

Let us know if you don't have the specs.