What oil do you guys use?

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This topic has probably been asked, and beaten to a pulp but it's 2019 and I'm bringing it back :)

I ordered an OEM oil filter + that $15 tool from yamaha to remove it. Going to do an oil change soon, I was lazy and did not change my ~900 miles I had on the last oil change before putting it away for the winter.

I used Rotella T6. Bike literally is a weekend queen, never goes on long cruises and only gets woken up on short burts. I like Rotella t6 and it's about ~$20 for 5 quarts. Any reason to change the oil brand?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, oil threads are usually.....Sort of like religious or political discussions.
I can tell you what my experience is with engines but I have no standard scientific data that I can share to prove any oil is better than another. Oil companies have their marketing and people will pick up a banner and run with it. For that reason oil threads are sort of frowned upon because they can get pretty heated.
I use an additive that helps me guarantee peace of mind. I take a sip of this and then I use Mobile1 full synthetic.
With this post I must also add a disclaimer as I understand there are generations now born without a funny bone. So for those who may be sensitive....:Flip:
Let the oil flinging begin!
On the serious side I've run (SV1000s) for 9 years, This engine runs hotter than the FZ6 and it does well in the desert triple digits pushing it up the mountain twisties
Theatre-Bizarre-Snake-Oil-Flask-OUT-OF-STOCK-FLWTBSO_image1__25696.1490638393.1280.1280.jpg

And check this out! https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/how-snake-oil-got-a-bad-rap/

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Any Synthetic 10w40 4T racing oil.

Mobil 1
Castrol

are the 2 I like the best
I am not a fan of the cheapo Rotella blue jug.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, oil threads are usually.....Sort of like religious or political discussions.
I can tell you what my experience is with engines but I have no standard scientific data that I can share to prove any oil is better than another. Oil companies have their marketing and people will pick up a banner and run with it. For that reason oil threads are sort of frowned upon because they can get pretty heated.
I use an additive that helps me guarantee peace of mind. I take a sip of this and then I use Mobile1 full synthetic.
With this post I must also add a disclaimer as I understand there are generations now born without a funny bone. So for those who may be sensitive....:Flip:
Let the oil flinging begin!
On the serious side I've run (SV1000s) for 9 years, This engine runs hotter than the FZ6 and it does well in the desert triple digits pushing it up the mountain twisties
Theatre-Bizarre-Snake-Oil-Flask-OUT-OF-STOCK-FLWTBSO_image1__25696.1490638393.1280.1280.jpg

OK, I am a little confused - is the sip of the additive for you or the SV? I always used Mobil 1 in my cars and have no complaints, so the FZ6 gets the same.
BTW, I was born with a funny bone. Blah

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying straight Mobil 1 that you put into your car? I didn't think that was compatible with a wet clutch.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Any Synthetic 10w40 4T racing oil.

Mobil 1
Castrol

are the 2 I like the best
I am not a fan of the cheapo Rotella blue jug.

Why do you not like the Rotella jug? T6 is their good synthetic stuff, they do make less expensive flavors

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying straight Mobil 1 that you put into your car? I didn't think that was compatible with a wet clutch.

Kenh says he uses Mobile1 in his car but I bet he uses mc specific Mobile 1 in the bike.. :)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you not like the Rotella jug? T6 is their good synthetic stuff, they do make less expensive flavors

I can't believe I clicked into an oil thread...

Yes, I use T6 in all of my motorcycles and my diesel tractor. All machines are happy with it. T6 contains 1200 ppm of ZDDP, which is good for motorcycle engines.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know enough to say any oil is better than another. I can say what seems to work for me. I can quote advertising and marketing all day long but that doesn't mean I actually know the quality of a product. Unfortunately one truth that I think I know is that a lot of what we believe is fact, is marketing and paid for test results. My motor has worked well for 9 years. I've known people who use Rotella for years without any failure. :rockon:

Also.... I never think of what oil I'm using when I'm whippin it in a turn.....:thumbup:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenh says he uses Mobile1 in his car but I bet he uses mc specific Mobile 1 in the bike.. :)

Yes, thank you Cliff, Mobil 1-4T and might I say Damn that stuff is expensive! Which reminds me I need to order another case for this year....

Anyway, you should use whichever oil you fell comfortable with, we won't judge you too harshly. :rockon:

Kaneda13

Reaction score
Visit site
Being a European automotive repair technician, I would recommend Liqui-Moly. The shop I work for uses it in BMWs, MINIs, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. They have a line of motorcycle specific oil, and in several weights too. It exceeds all the requirements for the factory oil it replaces. I would also like to recommend MANN filters. They are OEM for most European automobiles, and make a filter that fits the FZ6 as well.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Rotella T6 will protect the motor just fine. I noticed though that shifting gears was much easier using Mobil 1 4T. It was an aha moment. I never was tempted to switch back

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Rotella T6 will protect the motor just fine. I noticed though that shifting gears was much easier using Mobil 1 4T. It was an aha moment. I never was tempted to switch back

200.gif

I like better shifting. Maybe I will give it a shot. Going to cost double what Rotella costs.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
200.gif

I like better shifting. Maybe I will give it a shot. Going to cost double what Rotella costs.

I noticed it most with downshift when coming to a stop. I do one oil change per season and I don't mind paying a little extra. It is worth a try if you are on the fence.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are going to get mad - I spent $60 on 4 Liters of 10w-40 Motul 300v racing motor oil. I want to give it a shot. Read great things. I understand it is for racing/track which I do not do but I also don't plan on going over 3K miles this summer. If I do, I'll change it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are going to get mad - I spent $60 on 4 Liters of 10w-40 Motul 300v racing motor oil. I want to give it a shot. Read great things. I understand it is for racing/track which I do not do but I also don't plan on going over 3K miles this summer. If I do, I'll change it.

I'm not mad, I use Motul 5100 semi synthetic and am very happy with it.

Like you, I change it once a year with under 3,000 miles yearly..

Don't ask about oil filters....