Bike was hit&run, alignment off

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 was hit from the clutch side while parked and knocked over. Theres really no cosmetic damage other than the busted right blinker.

It looks like the right side of handle bar took all the impact, you can see its bent in the photo. I ordered a new handle bar and I thought maybe this was all I had to fix, no big deal?

But then I noticed when I align the front of the bike and point it straight forward, the front wheel is not straight ahead, but accually points about 15 degrees to the right.

If I want the front wheel to be straight I have to turn the bars 15 degrees to the left.

How is this problem fixed?

Theres also a small crack on the fairing(?) above the front wheel on the left side. I assume this is where it was hit as I dont see any other dents or scrapes. The forks also look fine

4826cfc1a08bf3fea4f52e9ea7dd7f1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although it is possible that the forks might have been 'tweaked', requiring alignment, the FIRST thing to check is the fairing stay. If the bike fell onto its right side, it likely bent the stay to the left. Make sure that you are not being fooled.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the bent fairing stay - look at the picture, the fairing is touching the tank on the right side but has a significant gap on the left.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on the fairing stay being bent. Very obvious in your pic.

Doesn't take but a simple tip over to bend it unfortunately. (Think I'm on #3).
There is a small metal bracket that secures the rear fairing to the frame, (way back on the right side). That can be bent back out and get the fairing OFF the tank before it wears thru the tank paint.. It WILL be putting some stress on the plastic..

It's not super hard to change out, couple hours taking your time.

Don't even bother trying to straighten it, it's amazingly sturdy (till it falls over)…

Check your right peg and rt "feeler", probably damaged as well. Hopefully it didn't break the tabs that hold the headlight assembly to the plastic fairing.

Sucks......

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I had an incident a year ago where the front wheel alignment went out.
The advice to me which worked was don't loose the forks.
Use a wall or fencepost to straighten the front wheel little bit at a time.
Ride to test and repeat if necessary.
Fixing it properly takes a bit more effort, but will help until then.
Sorry this sux.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Yah it definitly sucks, but it couldve been worse I suppose.

Thanks do much for the responses. I had no idea what a fairing stay was before yesterday.

Ill get to work on this and circle back if I run into any issues

Safe riding!

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
When you guys mention fairing stay, are you referring to this bracket on the right side where the fairing screws in?

49bb6c14fdfe2123e2efef515bc68c68.jpg

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question for some

?!! :)

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I assumed you meant this part #5VX-28356-00-00 part 14 in this pic?

But I dont see where on the bike this part is or where the fairings connect to it? Is it buried under the front dash?

0a2bf618e07c790a3dabb4e98fbbbb78.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, part #14, the big one.

Taking your time, with fairly basic tools, you can swap it in 3-4 hours. WAY EASIER than a valve check..

Just go slow, swap parts to the new part as you go along...

I'm on #3 or so (0 MPH tip overs) and can knock it out pretty quick.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok thanks last question; is it the same as this part? The picture doesnt exactly match the one from partzilla but it does look close and the description matches...

4998778026be4a11982c34156598e311.jpg

Kaneda13

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok thanks last question; is it the same as this part? The picture doesnt exactly match the one from partzilla but it does look close and the description matches...

4998778026be4a11982c34156598e311.jpg

That is the front stay if you don't have any front fairings, AKA naked conversion. Here is the part number you're looking for: 5VX-28356-00-00. A google search should find you some results. If i was done with my conversion, I would be willing to sell you mine.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
The rain finally stopped so I put the new fairing stay in today without any issues. I maybe naively thought this would fix the front alignment problem but it did not.

I took two pictures; one where the frame/bars are straight in line with the bike, and you can see the position of the front wheel:

478cbb9c4684c31e0f9ad0e69f15d68e.jpg

And this picture the front wheel is aligned with the bike now, but the bars have to be pushed far left to get this:

a97161778e14c84230ff8d86bb805dab.jpg

It might not be that obvious in the second picture

I dont know much about the front suspension but I noticed on the left fork there was oil at the base. this is side it was hit on. The right side was fine there was no grease or oil. Heres a picture of the left

7aecaaa98b289c46bc61eee0d5877bfb.jpg

You probably cant tell very well but its greasy down on the bottom there.

What is the implication here? Do the forks need replaced/realigned/resealed?

Thanks so much for all the assistance. I cant tell you how much I appreciate the help I have got from you guys since I got this bike a year ago.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Several things to check / do.

You did need the fairing stay (looking at the other pic's so don't beat yourself up).

Did you try loosening up the triple clamp fork tube bolts / axle, etc (while on the CC) with NO weight on the front wheel (like we did as kids on their bicycles) and then holding the ft wheel with your legs and pushing/pulling the handlebars to straighten? That alone should get you in the ball park.

If that one seal just started leaking AFTER the crash, you may have very well bent the fork tube.

As far off as everything is, I would pull the forks and get them dis-assembled and checked for straightness, especially if the above loosening and re-setting the nose doesn't bring it back to 100%.

You do need a new fork seal in ANY EVENT..

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Yah I could tell I needed the stay, the fairings sit evenly now. It wasn’t nearly as involved as I thought it was going to be.

I havent tried to straighten it out as you mentioned thanks for pointing that out.

Lets assume I can get it straight by doing this, is it safe to ride with the left fork having that leak until I put a new seal on it?

I cant say whether it was there before the crash or not unfortunatly I never noticed :/

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yah I could tell I needed the stay, the fairings sit evenly now. It wasn’t nearly as involved as I thought it was going to be.

I havent tried to straighten it out as you mentioned thanks for pointing that out.

Lets assume I can get it straight by doing this, is it safe to ride with the left fork having that leak until I put a new seal on it?

I cant say whether it was there before the crash or not unfortunatly I never noticed :/

Well, ANY OIL that makes it onto the brake pad is NOT GOOD for obvious reasons. (Braking)

The oil is likely a 7 wt (very thin) and may impregnate your brake pad(s). It may not come out of the pad with brake cleaner (dunno, never tried) and new pads may be needed after the fork seal is replaced...

It's your call .

If it was mine, I'd probably ride it only as needed, have a rag handy to dry up oil around the seal. Perhaps wrap a thinnish rag just below the seal to catch what comes out (zip tie it, you don't want that rag coming loose)...

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I put new handlebars on today. Then lifted the front, loosened the upper and lower pinch bolts and the axle pinch bolt and tried to straighten it out like you suggested. I didnt loosen the axle(?) i didnt have that tool.

It got maybe 90-95% straight with all my best efforts.

Theres a crack on the front fender and while looking at it more closely the bolt on the left fork right below the brake hose holder broke through the front fender where it normally connects there.

Anyway i took it to the shop. Theyre going to do the seal and see if the tubes are bent. Cant wait to ride it again.

Oh!! And my neighbor came out while I was working on it, and said he saw the woman who hit the bike. She hit it, got out of her car, looked at it for a couple seconds, then jumped back in her car and drove away. He gave me a description of the car but no plate so well see what develops im going to on the lookout now

thanks for the help

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great progress!!

That bike hit VERY hard to twist everything so far and crack that fender

I hope their pulling both forks and doing BOTH fork seals.

You 80% of the way to replacing the other fork seal and that other fork should be checked as well.

You'll get it back soon!!!