S2 FZ6 / FZ6R Speedometer, great upgrade for S1 bikes

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
$150 shipped. 19,XXX miles. Great condition. Comes with all 3 rubber bushings and mounting screws. Great upgrade for S1 bikes, especially when going naked. If going naked, you'll want to buy one of these depending on your headlight setup (or if you have a fly screen or not).

Also, if you have an S1 bike, I will also happily include a custom wiring harness that adapts any S1 bike to use this speedo (100% functionality).

MVIMG-20181202-215214.jpgL

MVIMG-20181202-215223.jpg

Last edited:

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's well documented here...somewhere...how do you go from the 2 connectors on the S1 to the single on the S2?

All you need is the different mid-harness that connects the bike to the speedo. You can either use the FZ6 S2 mid-harness or the one from the FZ6R. The bike harness is 2 connectors on all S1/S2 bikes, the only difference between S1 and S2 is the mid-harness. I'm including my mid-harness for S1 owners. For more details, read post #12 here:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40226-06-07-speedo-conversion.html

I don't know what bike that came from but all 07-09 bikes had a 14k Redline.

That tachometer does NOT..

Townsend, this speedo is from an FZ6R, as indicated in the title of the post. You are correct in stating the redline difference but it does not affect the performance of the motor, and the difference is minute. The rev limiter is controlled by the ECU anyway. Also, no one is looking at the speedo when you're revving that high (you go by sound when you're riding hard typically) - you should be looking at the road! Also, please read this thread for further details on using different speedos (FZ6R, FZ1):

Start at post #21 and read down

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40226-06-07-speedo-conversion.html

This speedo worked fantastically on my '05 FZ6:

Xq77L80.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct, you did post for an "R" model however it is NOT the same as the 07-09 S2 (approx. 95 HP) model.

And I do look at the tach when running hard, that's what it's for.

If your not using the tach, then why bother to upgrade to a tach that's NOT accurate /or just different??

And yes, I DO want to know what engine IS running at/when to shift, etc when running hard..

As there IS a separate site for the "R" models, someone easily can believe it IS for the earlier, 07-09 bikes, which it is not(when posted here).

Just clarifying for folks...

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct, you did post for an "R" model however it is NOT the same as the 07-09 S2 (approx. 95 HP) model.

I'm very aware that an FZ6R is not an FZ6 - they are very different bikes. I never implied they are the same bike, despite frequent confusion (mostly among people who have never owned either bike).

And I do look at the tach when running hard, that's what it's for.

If your not using the tach, then why bother to upgrade to a tach that's NOT accurate /or just different??

And yes, I DO want to know what engine IS running at/when to shift, etc when running hard..

Did you bother to read the thread that I linked to? Many of us here on the site have swapped to the newer style speedometer purely for looks (digital tachs suck in my opinion - analog FTW). I hated the look, color, shape, and operation of the S1 speedo, especially on a naked bike. Thankfully for us (thank you Yamaha), the speedometer/cluster on the FZ6 S2 and FZ6R is essentially the same, with the obvious minute tachometer difference, as well as a different style of turn signal indicator - other than that, they are identical.

I'm glad you find the tach useful at high RPM/high speeds. Many could argue the tachometer serves as a learning tool to get the know the sounds and limits of the engine between your legs - and then becomes less necessary. On all 5 of my motorcycles, I've learned the limits using the tach and then mostly shift by sound/vibration/feel once I've got it down. If I'm cruising and want to save some gas, sure, I'll glance at the tach to hit the sweet spot. Riding hard, not so much (maybe glancing every now and then). Everybody rides different, I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way.

As there IS a separate site for the "R" models, someone easily can believe it IS for the earlier, 07-09 bikes, which it is not(when posted here).

Just clarifying for folks...

I did not imply there wasn't a separate sister site for the FZ6R either, but thank you for posting that.