Squeaky/whistle-like sound at highway speeds?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed a weird squeaky, siren-like sound at highway speeds near the front of the bike. Thought it was the front bearing so had the replace and still hear it. Any ideas?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard rotors make funny noise from the holes in the disc. How are your front pads? New? Near time for new ones? Do you have a new tire or new tread design?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard rotors make funny noise from the holes in the disc. How are your front pads? New? Near time for new ones? Do you have a new tire or new tread design?

Pads were in decent shape when I last checked them a few months ago and the mechanic that replaced my bearings (and new front wheel) didn't say anything about them so I assume they were fine but would they squeak when I am not using them?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
S1 or S2 bike? Mileage, ft brake seals ever replaced?

Agreed, re the brake pads possibly being worn out.

Gently push (with a thin screw driver) the pads AWAY from the rotors (they WILL NOT WORK on the first or second pull) and go a ride(using the rear brake (obviously on a little used traffic road) and see if the sound persists.

I would also jack the ft wheel up, (center stand and scissor jack under the header) and spin the wheel, make sure there's no binding and the wheel spins at least 3/4 a turn:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/40215609850/in/dateposted/

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the sound aerodynamic or mechanical? You might be hearing a whistle from an add-on. For example, my bike has an aftermarket radiator guard that sings at speeds above 50-60 mph. When I installed a louder exhaust the problem went away.

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
S1 or S2 bike? Mileage, ft brake seals ever replaced?

Agreed, re the brake pads possibly being worn out.

Gently push (with a thin screw driver) the pads AWAY from the rotors (they WILL NOT WORK on the first or second pull) and go a ride(using the rear brake (obviously on a little used traffic road) and see if the sound persists.

I would also jack the ft wheel up, (center stand and scissor jack under the header) and spin the wheel, make sure there's no binding and the wheel spins at least 3/4 a turn:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/40215609850/in/dateposted/

05 (I think that is S1) and 41K Miles. Seals as far as I know haven;t been replaced.

Just so I am understanding corretly, worn out pads would make a noise even when they are not being used? I have a new mechanic and he seems on point. Wouldn't he catch the worn out pads since he replaced the front tire? He also mentioned the rear pads need to be replaced soon but the sound seems like it is coming from front (but 100% sure).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
05 (I think that is S1) and 41K Miles. Seals as far as I know haven;t been replaced.

Just so I am understanding corretly, worn out pads would make a noise even when they are not being used? I have a new mechanic and he seems on point. Wouldn't he catch the worn out pads since he replaced the front tire? He also mentioned the rear pads need to be replaced soon but the sound seems like it is coming from front (but 100% sure).

Yes. Metal to metal will make lots of noise (and damage).

If just replaced the front tire and the noise started after that, I would suspect something he did (or didn't do) is the issue.
Yes, if the pads are worn, he should have noticed it.

Do you have the owners manual / shop manual so YOU can inspect the bike your self? The owners manual is made NOT for mechanic's but for what an average owner can do / should do...

Should you need it, PM me with an e-mail address, year bike and I'll send a PDF copy to you...

Did you jack up and spin the front tire?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Metal to metal will make lots of noise (and damage).

If just replaced the front tire and the noise started after that, I would suspect something he did (or didn't do) is the issue.
Yes, if the pads are worn, he should have noticed it.

Do you have the owners manual / shop manual so YOU can inspect the bike your self? The owners manual is made NOT for mechanic's but for what an average owner can do / should do...

Should you need it, PM me with an e-mail address, year bike and I'll send a PDF copy to you...

Did you jack up and spin the front tire?

It was happening before the tire replacement and thus why I thought it was bearing and got that replaed.

Havent had chance to spin front wheel but do have the manual thanks.

I guess I can replace the rear pads - where do you recommend buying pads from?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was happening before the tire replacement and thus why I thought it was bearing and got that replaed. Thanks, that helps.

Havent had chance to spin front wheel but do have the manual thanks.

I guess I can replace the rear pads - where do you recommend buying pads from?

I use Partzilla and use OEM pads. Seem to last long (26,000 on my rear pads presently) and fit WILL be correct.

Part #12: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2005/fz6-fzs6t/rear-brake-caliper

Last edited: