Rear alignment question:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Adjusted the slack on my chain and was setting the rear wheel alignment; I read through the thread on the string method and got it as accurate as I could without an assistant

I read a couple other threads mentioning that you can measure on both sides of the swingarm and set the measurements equal. I thought I would do this to check but im not sure which measurements im taking;

Do you measure from the center of the swing arm bolt to the end of the swingarm itself? Or to the end of the swing arm cap, or to the adjusting nut, or all the way to the end of the adjusting screw? Or does it matter which one?

I also read somewhere that a member just counted the remaining threads on the swingarm screw until they were equal, does that work too? If thats true I need to readjust I have 7 threads on the left and 9 on the right.

I did slightly adjust after getting it close with the string so that the measurements from the center of the axle bolt to the end of the swingarm are equal, but as I just mentioned Im not sure if this is the correct measurement. When I do it the threads arent equal, and the hash marks arent exactly equal either (though these are notoriously inaccurate anyway)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You will find the hash marks are accurate. You don't mention if you have an S1 or an S2.

On my '05 (S1), I use a caliper to measure the length of the stud that protrudes from the end cap, and adjust until they are equal. If that does not yield an accurate result, then your swingarm is bent.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always just used the hash marks and never had an issue of instability or uneven tire wear. That's what they're there for.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always just used the hash marks and never had an issue of instability or uneven tire wear.

+1 ^^ at least for my S2.

You can look at the rollers on the chain and see the wear is DEAD CENTER on the roller, (confirming it's straight).

Should you wish to measure, the swing arm bolt (anywhere as long as you measure the same on each side) to the AXLE (again, same location on each side)

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
ok thanks for the replies; its a 2004 S1

measuring the length of the protusion from the swing arm cap makes sense, im certainly off here so I will adjust accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you're worried about it, you can do a string alignment and check to see if the markings are accurate. Only takes 10 minutes and a bit of string.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Motion Pro alignment tool.
41licSHKNrL.jpg

It works well for me when I eye down the chain using the rod.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How close are your Suzuki marks compared to using the above tool?

Very close if not spot on. If I get a chance this week I'll look at the reference marks. My bike tracks very nicely and guidance on and off the pulley look great. :)

Someone also makes a laser type but the plastic housing the laser is mounted in looks like a poorly made toy from a misaligned injection mold.:shakehead:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
... ... ...

On my '05 (S1), I use a caliper to measure the length of the stud that protrudes from the end cap, and adjust until they are equal. If that does not yield an accurate result, then your swingarm is bent.

JM2C but the swing arm could be bent into a pretzel, you could measure the bolt length and walk away. That said it wouldn't tell you the wheel is aligned to the rest of the chassis.

The string will be another tool that indicates all things add up and potential account for small variations that don't.

As said the wear pattern of the lube leaving the sprocket is a good indication of IF the chain is pulling squarely on the sprocket. Results may vary as to if the wheel is properly aligned....

Biggest thing is to pay attention.... does it seem right?

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the string method and will add it to my bag of tricks, but it was difficult to be accurate without using an assistant.

For example when I would eye the string touching the tire, then shift my eyes to measure the distance; its hard to keep the string at the exact location I had when looking at it touch the tire.

That said I did measure the bolt length and set them equal and noticed the rollers were dead center and the hash marks were the same. Most importantly the bike feels great!

I had new tires put on a couple months ago and just cleaned my chain and measured it (for the first time), the slack was like 1.4-1.5”
Im a little over 2” all around now and with a properly adjusted/cleaned/lubed/aligned chain everything is so much smoother the difference is night and day