Intermittent stalling

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Happy thanksgiving!

I have a 2004 FZ6 with 29k miles:

just recently, the bike started stalling at low speeds. Most noticeably it happens when approaching a stop and I pull the clutch in at lower speeds, however it has happened also while at 25-30 mph and slowing down.

Also on occassion when starting the bike it will run idle for ~30 sec then just die. It always fires right back up after it dies.

One time I lost throttle and it came back after a couple seconds without having to hit the start switch.

Its been happening maybe 2 times on average per ride over the past 5 days or so.

I dont think its nessecarily related to engine temp as it would sometimes happen after riding for 10-15 minutes.

First thing I checked was the idle. it was a litte low at 1100 so I adjusted it to spec (1260-1320) and there was no improvement.

I then jacked the idle up to like 1560 as an experiment and it didnt prevent the problem from happening.

I called the dealership and the bike had the TPS replaced in 2009. I did the TPS diagnostic and it was 16 closed, 102 open and smooth through that range.

I replaced the air filter at 25k miles and looked at it today it looks fine.

I checked the fuel tank hoses for kinks and stuff and everything looked fine

other (potentially) useful information:

New spark plugs @ 24.5 miles back in May

Replaced fuel pump/filter at 26.5k in September

Oil and filter change one month ago

The only other thing I can mention is that it suddenly got cold where I live (sf) and the problem happened as soon as it got cold. im not sure if its correlated

??!!?!?!

thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the popular intermittent problem comes from the kill switch. The contacts get dirty and gummed up and it becomes intermittent. If you're not seeing an error code there's a good possibility it is the culprit. Some people jump the wires to eliminated it and then if the problem subsides you can service the switch.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The other common reason for this to happen is the safety interlock on the side stand. Disassemble the switch and remove all of the road gum and chain lube. Also check the harness that connects the switch.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to wager on the kill switch (if only b/c it happened to me). Pls do report back - these guys (the experts) like to have closure ;)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the popular intermittent problem comes from the kill switch. The contacts get dirty and gummed up and it becomes intermittent. If you're not seeing an error code there's a good possibility it is the culprit. Some people jump the wires to eliminated it and then if the problem subsides you can service the switch.

+1 ^^^^. Here ya go, with pictures!

https://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/57993-indicator-switch-disassembly.html

11-19-18 4:40P, wrong link (as posted below - labeled it wrong in my favorites file), dis-regard.

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha thanks for the links. I have the day off tommorow so hopefully we wont be kept in suspense too long!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I just did a neighbor's electric seat control switch and it had springs and ball bearings with the seesaw contact assemblies. Lots of fun reassembling but worth the neighbors happiness when he could move his seat back.. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yah i use it everytime when turning the bike on/off

Most failures of that switch, the riders USE that kill switch. Seems to hamper it's life expectancy...

Once checked (and if to be the failure((even if not)), I would start using the key.

It IS a weak point on the bike (with time/wear and tear, etc).

Just my2cts

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the switch apart and cleaned all the little bits and contacts today. Popped it back in and went on 2 rides.

So far there has been no problems, which given the frequency it was happening makes me pretty sure that this worked. I think after 5 or 6 rides we can say with 100% confidence. thanks for the help this was a pretty easy fix and I never wouldve expected that this was the cause.

Just an FYI if anyone reads this thread down the line: When you snap the plastic piece back onto the switch over the ball bearing+spring you can’t do it straight on, you have to angle the plastic part either to the left or to the right or it wont go. I spent about 30 minutes in frustration trying to figure out why it wasnt workkng. Of course you dont realize how simple and obvious it is until AFTER you mess with it