Which One is Next?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My goodness, the motorcycles that have been announced this week are simply stunning. I love lightweight bikes (just look at my signature) with 100% usable power, and this year there are so many excellent machines in the 400-900cc range. One will find it's way into my garage this spring. Just look at some of these:

Kawasaki Z400, this might be my favorite => Naked Kawasaki Z400 Breaks Cover « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

KTM 790 Adventure, I love the Duke790, but dang this looks like a bike I could ride all day => 2019 KTM 790 Adventure Combines Street and Dirt Capabilities « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

CB650R, a bit on the pricey side => Honda Announces Extensive Changes to Its Mid-Displacement Line « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

W650 Cafe...not on my buy list, but I'm so happy it has returned and I love the new style => Kawasaki Brings Back Classic W800 for 2019 as a CAFE Racer « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

I have not purchased a new bike from the showroom floor since 1983 (leftover 1981 GN400). At $4,799 with ABS, that Z400 is calling my name...but if the 790 Adventure come in under $10k....

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kawasaki Z400- quite heavy for it's size/power, poor brakes/suspension, way too small physically unless you're really short (if it's similar to the z300). Did you consider the 390 Duke?
KTM 790 Adventure- a proper bike- enough engine, reasonable weight, great suspension, good brakes. It's what the "adventure" class should have been from the beginning (opposed to the oversized naked bikes many manufacturers call "adventure")
CB650R- overpriced and inferior to the CBR600F4i from 18y ago!
W800 Cafe- I usually like "classic", "vintage" and "neo-retro" but this bike seems to be some kind of joke. If it didn't say Kawasaki on the tank you could have sworn it was some Royal Enfield. I bet their marketing dept. is rolling on the floor laughing thinking that in the year of 2018 some people pay $10000 for this SOHC relic. Hell, in some ways it's even worse than the original W 650 from 50 years ago!

If you're into the cafe look, I'd suggest looking at the 701 Vitpilen. It's easy to get the classical cafe look- just put a tear drop gas tank, round headlight, and make sure the undersides of the rear cowl, seat and tank form a straight line that's parallel to the ground, but the Vitpilen has this retro futuristic look that no one else has.

Now, as you already own multiple bikes I'd only give you only one advice: whatever you choose make sure it's something you REALLY like, and not something that you kind of like but was a great deal and/or looked good on paper.

JM2C

jdmlude

Reaction score
Visit site
Hands down for me....CB650R Neo. Stunning beauty but most importantly it's the only 4 cylinder of the ones you listed. I've ridden twins before and it simply doesn't give me the fizz feeling like a revving 4 cylinder with an exhaust. This may be the bike I pick up down the road in 10 years because I plan on holding onto the FZ6 for the long haul.