New owner - fixing terrible throttle

Dealsgapr6

Reaction score
Visit site
What can be done about an excessively stiff throttle on an 06 FZ6? I'm going to try to lube the cables and take the assembly apart to see if there's any corrosion or gunk causing an issue, but it's basically impossible to make precise on off throttle inputs in any sort of sport riding scenario. I don't know if there is a return spring I can buy after-market that's lighter, or some other way to fix this issue. Searching around, I've seen this is a common complaint with this bike, but I've never seen anyone come up with a solution. None of the R6s I've owned have had this problem, so I'm wondering if it's just an inherently bad design with this bike. Any help appreciated!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

After you've serviced your cable to insure it is or isn't a mechanical issue you're dealing with, you can do a search on throttle problems, on/off specific problems with the FZ6. It is known for snatchy throttle response.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I second [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] suggestion.

- Check that the cable is routed properly (could have been installed wrong by previous owner).

- Lube the cable

- adjust the throttle free play. This helps a lot. Too much free play contributes to a 'jerky' feel when getting back on the throttle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A STIFF throttle is NOT common at all for the FZ.

There are return springs on the throttle body(s) but that's not your issue.

As posted above, you need to do some digging.

Check cables for fraying, lubing, rust / crap under the throttle tube / handle bar.

Cables DO wear..

An ON / OFF throttle at higher RPM's, that's a different issue-fueling / maps, looseness in the throttle cable.
I believe G2 makes a throttle tube with a different "ramp" for the cable lessening the abruptness.

I would address the STIFF issue first as you do have an abnormal mechanical issue.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because its pull to open, pull to return system, I've fixed 3 where the owner took the slack from the Return side and it literally locked the the throttle in place.

The return side is to close the throttle if the throttle sticks. It needs to have nearly double the slack of the actuator on the pull "to open side". Give it some slack which is adjusted only at the TB cable mount.

Because this is your emergency throttle return, it can have lots of free play. Give it some.

Mines an 08 with 30xxx mi and I've never had and throttle return issues. Snaps like a turtle!

PS - likely the lower connection that needs slack added at the cable. The easy to reach one.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Dealsgapr6

Reaction score
Visit site
In case I didn't explain it well enough, I'm referring to it taking more effort than necessary to roll from 0% throttle to maybe 5%. It just feels like a high level of mechanical resistance. This makes rev matching on downshifts in particular a mess.

So far I've checked cable routing and condition, lubed both cables, cleaned the bar under the grip and hit it with a silicone lube, and adjusted the cables at the bar side. I'll check the adjustment at the throttle body as suggested.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Silicone lube is a bit thin for that application, but being clean would have helped.

Did you check the "pull" cable while not hooked up for any resistance?

It's rare for the throttle cable to fray but can. There's not much else (plus the correct adjustment).

We don't know what the throttle body linkage looks like. You may want to peek and if needed (super stiff), brake cleaner and some light lube
on the linkages/ springs, etc.

There shouldn't be ANY resistance for rev matching, etc.

When my clutch cable frayed, it was INSIDE, I couldn't see it. Gently pulling back and forth (after lube) you could feel the SLIGHT friction.
I cut it apart after installing the new one (pictured above), and it was bad...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess you won't check for any fraying...

Good luck, be careful should it let loose or bind up in traffic...

**There's nothing wrong with the design and for someone to TIGHTEN the throttle before you, takes a bunch of patience(had to do a re-wind of my 04 FJR throttle spring AFTER doing an unwind) so I am familiar wit it and the tricks..

Dealsgapr6

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess you won't check for any fraying...

Guess again. Checked cable condition already and it moves smoothly through the housing and appears to be in great shape. I may still change it since I'll be messing with the spring anyways and they're cheap.

Keep in mind just because I think the throttle is crappy doesn't mean someone else would agree. I might be wanting too much out of it for its price point and intended purpose.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess again. Checked cable condition already and it moves smoothly through the housing and appears to be in great shape. I may still change it since I'll be messing with the spring anyways and they're cheap.

Keep in mind just because I think the throttle is crappy doesn't mean someone else would agree. I might be wanting too much out of it for its price point and intended purpose.

You didn't respond earlier, sorry I bothered you asking.

Good luck

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I still bet new cables would solve the problem. I'd do that first before messing with springs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk