Not Cranking Over

KillJaceWade

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and good morning everyone! My first post on here, I just bought a 2009 FZ6 a week ago for a steal. Rode it home, took it out the next day for a lap, parked it before I went to the DMV to get tags. Now two days ago I was going over it and noticed the wiring harness all cut up (the front headlight was removed and replaced with a street fighter style aftemarket one). After looking at the connections more I noticed quite a bit was cut up and started removed ng tape to find out the previous owner was a bloody moron who shouldn't be allowed near electrical.

Originally the OEM gauge cluster did not work, it was cracked but the N light still came on(however it was ALWAYS illuminated...so I suppose it didn't really work). The replacement gauage cluster(eBay deal) came in yesterday, plugged it in and it came right on, all the gauges seem to work except the N light still doesn't come up(so that is a wiring issure I believe).

Now to my problem. After I messed with the squirrels nest of wiring and electrical tape the bike turns on, the fuel pump primes, the lights work then I go to hit the start button and nothing.

I tried hot wiring the on/off button just for tests, no change. I tested all the switches, fuses and relays via the service manual specifications and they seem to check out. The one that doesn't seem to check out was the starter cut off relay(the bigger relay in the back), the diode test didnt seem to come out right with the continuity tests so I ordered a new relay ($49) should be in next week.

I tried jumping the starter relay - starter will turn over for days but the bike won't start. Does this seem like the starter cut off relay?

I found random things wrong with the wiring, the previous owner had a jumper around the turn signal fuse because I suppose it kept burning out. The connector coming from the rear brake was disconnected with a wire shove into the other end leading to the harness but this random.wire wasn't connected to anything. The turn signal relay is completely missing, the turn signals are not connected and missing.

Does this sound like the starter cut off relay? I think I may have had the key on when originally messing with the wires and burnt out the relay or a diode.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you my have hurt the starter cut off relay. I saw this happen to a FZ6 rider in a group ride, when he broke his key off in the seat lock. We were up in the mountains and I opened the harness and wired the bike to run.
It worked out great and we finished the ride. He came home withe me and he called a locksmith who made him a new key. I temp wired him so he could get back on base (Navy) on time. I told him to come back and I would do a permanent repair to the harness. Instead a room mate at the barracks tried to do it for him and shorted wires. When I think about it, this cut off relay has stopped a few FZ6 bikes in attempted hot wire thefts. :)

Things you'll want to confirm. You say you have no neutral light. Can you start the bike if you pull the clutch in? That cut off relay looks at side stand switch, clutch safety switch and neutral switch. If one of those players are not in the logic parameters you could have a failed start.

Last edited:

KillJaceWade

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes no neutral light. Just for sake of narrowing things down , I grounded the light green wire going to the relay and the neutral light does come on but at least I know there's not an issue with the gauge.

No, if I pull in the clutch the bike still does not start. Can I bypass the clutch wire after the relay?

After going over all the switches I think it has to be the starter cut off relay. There was definitely a short when I was trying to find out what the previous owner had tapped and rigged together. I ordered a new relay, should be here in a couple days.

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
when you had the clutch in was the sidestand up?

the only way the bike will start with the side stand down would need the green light to be on.

sorry if this is patronising.

KillJaceWade

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=21236]Ben sIII[/MENTION]
Not patronising. With the clutch in, I believe I tried it with the side stand both up and down.
I can't get the neutral light to come on at all unless I bypass and ground the light green wire..but that's only bypassing the light...if he diode is broke in the relay then it still won't work?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a solid light blue wire from the starter cut off relay plug. This wire goes to the neutral switch. If you ground that light blue wire you should see your neutral indicator light come on. If it does not come on the diode is probably open.

KillJaceWade

Reaction score
Visit site
So I ended up fixing it last night. New cut off relay installed and also the neutral switch is faulty so I ran a temporary ground for that till a new one comes in and cleaned up the rest of the birds nest. Thanks guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I ended up fixing it last night. New cut off relay installed and also the neutral switch is faulty so I ran a temporary ground for that till a new one comes in and cleaned up the rest of the birds nest. Thanks guys!

Good job! Sounds like you really were on the right track with this to begin with. Happy riding!:)