Anyone interested in ECU Tuning for the FZ6?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a well-respected tuning house near me in Congers NY that has had documented success in ECU tuning. Ivan's Performance Products (Ivan's Performance Products) has tunes available for many bikes, but not the FZ6. I spoke to the company today and they say the demand is not there to develop a tune for us.

I'd like to see if I can generate some interest and present the opportunity to them. There a lot of FZ6s, and many of them are represented here on this forum.

The MAIN thing I want to see is elimination of the closed-throttle injector cut off that causes the much complained about throttle snatch we all experience. I understand that the effort is large and costly, so some commitment on our part would be expected, like some up front deposits. The tune would be available to all of us either by riding in or mailing our ECU, so we are not restricted by where we are.

I don't know what he would charge per tune, but I have to guess that it would be market competitive (300 ish?).

Anyone interested should please respond here. I'll gather more information if we have enough interest for me to strike up a conversation with them. I offered my bike as a development mule, trying to make it easier for him to consider.

Anybody want to join the effort?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I get confused by the word tune. I know what is considered a reflash in many or most cases, unlocks restrictions in areas of the software that although not in accordance with EPA or emission restrictions, also can improve performance. Tuning can be a more complex fuel and ignition management dependent on other modifications which would require a load and specific monitoring of air to fuel ratio as related to power produced.

If we look specifically at Power Commander they used to sell a street legal fuel controller that would not be remapped at specific RPM areas to keep fuel management more in line with required emission guidelines. Then there was a race model (more popular) that was meant only for track or off road use because it could be programmed/mapped to offer better power producing performance that was not within the guidelines for street legal vehicles.

If you got enough people together to make a reflash economical for everyone would it be equivalent remapping power management for overall performance as the Power Commander does? One area of unlocking might also be RPM limits but does that benefit performance without fuel/ignition mapping and maybe different cams?
Tuning is bike and mod specific.

If we get enough interest, I'll donate even though I don't have the FZ6 anymore. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
The MAIN thing I want to see is elimination of the closed-throttle injector cut off that causes the much complained about throttle snatch we all experience.

I was thinking about this last year but never got time to do it. I think a box with some passive components taking a signal from an injector wire would tell when Fuel Cut Off was on, then output a voltage into the TPS would do it.

It's not likely I'll have time for it soon though.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about this last year but never got time to do it. I think a box with some passive components taking a signal from an injector wire would tell when Fuel Cut Off was on, then output a voltage into the TPS would do it.

It's not likely I'll have time for it soon though.

There is a fix for the Suzuki SV1000 that shows how to re-adjust the TPS so that it is set properly at idle so that the "throttle on", from a closed position. It actually uses the readout to set it properly.
It makes me think that maybe US bikes (especially California) are set for passing emissions standards and this may be creating the harsher on - off response.
The FZ6 does have a mode to see the TPS setting and maybe this can be changed to eliminate the zero fuel setting. This may be where fuel management devices alter fuel shutoff signal and eliminate the problem. This is where the SV is set differently to eliminate the same issue.

TKBone

Reaction score
Visit site
Imho IT dies affect the AFR, modding the Airbox helped me. In fact I did it the other way... There is a Thread for this somewhere, Townsend?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Cliff posted, adjusting the TPS HIGHER (# wise), makes the computer think the throttle is MORE OPEN than it really is, thus adding slightly more fuel thru-out the range.

My old '04 FJR was VERY lean (surging) below 3,000 RPM's. Per Mama Yamaha, they (the shop-still under warranty) bumped the upper 100 # a bit above 100. (It wasn't my issue-corrosion at an electrical plug the shop couldn't find was the issue).

Opening up the air box obviously brings in more air, aftermarket (more flow) exhaust pipes do the same.

You can only do so much W/O modding the ECU / fuel aftermarket add on. That's why you'll see issues (mostly lopy ((SP?)) idle) after removing cats, aftermarket pipes, K&N filter, etc. Your pumping way more air thru the engine than the ECU can keep up with.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I get confused by the word tune. I know what is considered a reflash in many or most cases, unlocks restrictions in areas of the software that although not in accordance with EPA or emission restrictions, also can improve performance. Tuning can be a more complex fuel and ignition management dependent on other modifications which would require a load and specific monitoring of air to fuel ratio as related to power produced.

If we look specifically at Power Commander they used to sell a street legal fuel controller that would not be remapped at specific RPM areas to keep fuel management more in line with required emission guidelines. Then there was a race model (more popular) that was meant only for track or off road use because it could be programmed/mapped to offer better power producing performance that was not within the guidelines for street legal vehicles.

If you got enough people together to make a reflash economical for everyone would it be equivalent remapping power management for overall performance as the Power Commander does? One area of unlocking might also be RPM limits but does that benefit performance without fuel/ignition mapping and maybe different cams?
Tuning is bike and mod specific.

If we get enough interest, I'll donate even though I don't have the FZ6 anymore. :)

Thanks Cliff. I spent time immersed in the world of Subaru ECU modding, where we use the word 'tune' to signify changing parameters and 'Flash' as the act or writing those parameters to the ECU.

Regarding my goals, I am aiming low. I would like to focus on 'un-fixing' things Yamaha did for reasons other than performance, like the ignition retard in lower gears and the dreaded fuel cut-off. Trying to tune the AFR wold be a career, considering the number of air filter / exhaust combos. Couple that with the S1 not having an O2 sensor to feed back and adjust, you end up with a a lot of maps.

I believe that if we can change these ECU behaviors, we'll get 80% of a full custom tune. The final 20% should still be left to fuel controllers live the PCV.

Thanks for your interest. I wish there was an open-source tool that we could use to do our own tuning, like the RomRaider tool I use for the Subaru.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in if Ivan will set it up for the otherwise stock bike.

A year or so ago, before I installed the R6 forks :D I was looking at ECU Unleashed facilities to try to get correction for the issues that you mentioned, Tom. But it seems like they are not currently very interested in this for the FZ6 unless you want to go the full route with dyno tuning, etc. It also seems that the facilities that do it are dependent on the person who had the training/would be doing the work and you get no response to emails if that guy has left the company.

I was looking at Ivan's pages right when I bought the FJR and I really liked what he said about his approach for that bike. He did it on his 2016. YES.

I'm really not looking for more power or better performance for the FJR, yet. Still getting used to dancing with the big girl. And I got her mainly for 2-up riding.

But I would like to improve the FZ6's issues for on-throttle and lower gear timing. I think Ivan could do a great job for those issues, and probably more than I'm wanting.

Let me know when you need a deposit.:thumbup:

Chris

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone through the whole ECU retune thing for a supercharged BRZ...it's a pain in the ass. Dyno tuning, finding bugs, troubleshooting problems (is it the tune or is it something else). In the end I got it right, but it takes effort and dedication on the part of the owner and tuner.

I can't see how one tune can work for a multitude of performance changes (different pipes, with/without a cat, hi-flo intake or stock, injector upgrades). When you try to please everyone, no one is happy.

To me, this sounds like a nightmare.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm more of a diy tuner for my car, so getting a can tune doesn't really interest me. If there was a way to have an end user make adjustments I would be all for that.

If it was cheap enough <$200, I'd be fine with removing the emissions items listed above as a can tune.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If only the 1 2 3 ignition map were corrected that would be great. I have data from my logger for the fuel maps. Any basic controller can correct the rewet issue. However if you want power, the ignition map needs fixed!