Trouble starting bike: Issues with engine cut off/ignition?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed recently my 05 FZ won't turn over when hitting the ignition switch (although the dashboard lights up). I usually just flip the engine cut off back and forth and then hit ignition and that usually does the trick but it seems to be getting worse.

I know first thought is battery but I replaced mine 1.5 year ago so it should be good right? Anyways I plugged it into the a battery tender and it was at full charge within an hour. Ran into same issue this morning, hit ignition nothing happened, fidgeted it with engine cut off and that appears to get it to work. Hence is there a fuse/relay that could be due to either the engine cut off or ignition switch? How would I check that?

On one instance after getting the bike started the bike did cut off after traveling a few feet but was able to get it started again (this was before recharging via battery tender) not sure if that helps diagnose the issue?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for pointing me to that thread! I guess in the interim I can just leave it on and hope that works. Perhaps a naive/dumb question but could this cause my bike to shut off while running at speed?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
100% yes. When there is an interruption in the circuit it's as if you switched it to the "Stop" position.
+1. this is not a problem you can ignore. I never had the problem, but i rebuilt and cleaned mine this summer to make sure it didnt happen. it is not too technical, but it requires patience and comfort with taking apart little things. Although mine was working fine, i was surprised to see how dirty it was. grab some contact cleaner, dielectric grease and go have at it.

grab the instructions from this forum. they were great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I gather you use the RED KILL switch often?

If so, clean as posted above and DON'T use it (un-less in an emergency), use the IGNITION SWITCH..

You can also follow the wires from the switch and TIE them together by-passing the switch..

Last edited:

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I gather you use the RED KILL switch often?

If so, clean as posted above and DON'T use it (un-less in an emergency), use the IGNITION SWITCH..

You can also follow the wires from the switch and TIE them together by-passing the switch..

I do...I was always told (MSF I think), to turn off bike was to hit kill switch and then turn the key.

I might try your tieing the wires together despite the instructions on the thread linked earlier - I have a fear of taking things apart since I normally fail to put them together properly...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Un-fortunately the RED kill switch, over time (and especially if used often), can be an issue with all the symptoms you posted.

Here's a link that should help you:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/57993-indicator-switch-disassembly.html

If you can't repair the switch, you can either leave it hot wired or you have to purchase the entire right handle bar assembly.
Unfortunately I believe it plugs in under the battery and takes some digging to get to..

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,

You've been a gem with all the (minor, fortunately) issues I've had with this bike ( which has treated me very well), at this point I think I owe you a six-pack. Let me know if you are ever in the NYC area.

Fortunately, as a temp fix, leaving the kill switch on the position and not touching it has worked so far. I know a more permanent/thorough effort is needed but for now, it'll do. Although I am a bit paranoid something will happen while I am on the free way and I just lose all power...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,

You've been a gem with all the (minor, fortunately) issues I've had with this bike ( which has treated me very well), at this point I think I owe you a six-pack. Let me know if you are ever in the NYC area.

Fortunately, as a temp fix, leaving the kill switch on the position and not touching it has worked so far. I know a more permanent/thorough effort is needed but for now, it'll do. Although I am a bit paranoid something will happen while I am on the free way and I just lose all power...

An easy "hot wire" would be to use two "Posi Taps" and tap into both kill switch wires and tie them together(gonna have to trace them). For now (or if it acts up) I would do that to the switch side, NOT the main bike harness.. Or clean up the switch if you dare... :)