gearshift pedal movement - bushings

Kizzzpezza

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day fz6 lovers,

Has anyone had to replace the bushings of the two screws that hold the shift pedal assembly? I'm getting lots of sideways movement which I think is causing slip on the teeth of the gearshaft.
I'm in Australia, looking to replace these.
Does anyone know the part no# &/or best place to buy?

:) thanks for any help

Attachments

• bushingspoint.jpg
    bushingspoint.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 35

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya, those bolts are in rubber bushings to cut down vibrations coming through the foot pegs. Its pretty unlikely that they are perished, could happen but the rubber is well protected under the washer. Yamaha would be your best bet if they are buggered
There is plenty of rotational play at each ball joint end of the linkage shaft attached to the gear shift foot peddle and the gear box shaft. so any sideway movement in the footpegs will have little impact on the gear shaft at the motor. You should check that the lever on the end of the gear shift shaft is tight so you don't chew out the splines on the shaft.

You can undo those two bolts and inspect the bushing.If you need to replace the footpeg return spring, (and you probably will -I get about 10000 km out of each set) you need to undo the pivot bolt for the shift foot peddle, so you can get the cotter pin and the footpeg pin out. There is a wave and a flat washer in there and you should grease it all to help with keep shifts smooth. You should also use a lube in the ball joints- I use a bicycle chain lube ( a liquid wax), a quick squirt does the job

Kizzzpezza

Reaction score
Visit site
Adrian thankyou.. thinking about it now that spring might be the source of my problem.. which is mainly a failure to downshift on the odd occasion, usually when hot - and the splines on the gear shift shaft are looking in tact.. so yeah, thankyou, that sounds like the solution!
so that spring is part 10 in the link in the reply by brinksrheavy (thanks mate) ?

oh & is there a brand of that chain lube which is best?

I'll source a spring & update on performance.

Thanks again & regards,
Kieran

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Kieran, the spring I am talking about is numbers 23 and 32 in this page:
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2006-fz6-s-motorcycles/stand-footrest

Its the return spring to drop the footrest into its proper postuo and keep it down.

Sounds almost like your clutch isnt engaging fully when you want to shift. The engagement zone is really short on these bikes, which is great for fast shifts but you might need to adjust it a little. One turn on the hand lever you will see a change>

For my motorcycle chain I use
Maxima Chain wax
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...in-wax-383gm&usg=AOvVaw2pua7xLqUc1Kr1Hm-7tIog

I have found thta if you spray it on with a hot chain( you only need ride for 20 minutes to get it warm enough, the wax doesnt fling off.
If toy have a centre stand you can turn your wheel manually. I have a roller stand- bit more cumbersome but it works.

Never use the motor running for lubing. Sure fre way to have a mishap. I have seen pictures of fingers caught in bike chains and I would hate to hear about it happening. Might sound like a silly thing to warn about but I'd hate to not say it and hear something had gone amiss.

For the ball joints on the gear shift linkage you could use almost any type of lube, just remeber that WD-40 or RP-7 or CRC fill work as an emergency lube but they have no lasting power,so you would need to do it again in a day or so.

btw yesterday I washed my bike and I had to replace the footpeg spring. I know the other will fail in about a week or two now. I need to go to Yamaha and order two more. I keep them ready. I hate it when the peg flips up and doesn't return.

safe riding
cheers

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
.. which is mainly a failure to downshift on the odd occasion, usually when hot -

Kieran

Make sure when you're downshifting that you are taking your foot fully off the shift lever before you down shift again. If you keep your foot on the shift lever you are not allowing it to reset before the next shift. You may be resting your foot on the shift lever unconsciously anticipating the next shift...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the above, lube the clutch cable and adjust within spec's.

Also check for any fraying/drag while the cable is off the lever.

Plus one on lubing the shifter arm joints with a good penetrating oil or white spray grease

As for chain wax, IME, I don't like it all...

I've found Honda chain lube with WHITE GREASE, works the best, little to no fling.

And MOST importantly, downshift as you slow down, NOT all at once (while at a stop). The gear box needs to spin some to allow the gears to move.

Frayed clutch cable, less than 25,000 miles (ALWAYS maintained/lubed BTW):

Kizzzpezza

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, just to update I've only been able to get one ride in since my last post. I tightened the clutch cable about a half turn & it did feel much better, no slip on that ride.

Thanks for all the expertise.. I'm clearly not in the know for even the simple things, so yeah, much appreciated, it all helps :thumbup:

feel like the thread title isn't really applicable now :)