Single headlight FZ6... Both filaments or nothing. Pulling hair out!

adri

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've tried researching this already and came across a few good posts, but nothing that addressed my issue, so I'm either not searching for the right terms or I'm the only idiot with this problem haha.

Bought a used 2007 FZ6. It came with a Street Triple style of dual headlight, however when the bike was in low beam, they wouldn't work, and when the bike was in high beam, both came on. Here she is:

$_59.JPG

I didn't worry about it much those lights look painted with a rattle can and I wanted a different look, similar to this:

41mzTqv.jpg

So I buy headlight and mounts, and take off the old headlight. That's when I realize there's been some kind of frankenstein work done here.

Dny_PtCXgAAZgnV.jpg

I have no H7 connection.
I have no H4 connection.
I have a 1 into 4 ground connection (wtf?)
I have a yellow wire spliced to a black and yellow wire and then cut off.

And then of course my main problem:

On Low Beam, I have no light at all
On High Beam, I have both low and high beam.

What should I be looking for or doing and what's going on here? Please help the hopeless! :)

Adrian

Last edited:

sevenhills1952

Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously you'll have to have a wiring diagram.
Where all that factory tape has been removed, wires spliced incorrectly, etc., I would re-do that mess. It shouldn't really be that difficult since they're all color coded. So step one I would disconnect battery, then splice back everything that's been boogered with. If something is cut short then same gauge, same color, making a good splice. I like Western Union splice like I drew...from top about 1" insulation removed, two wires wrapped together as shown (interlocked), then solder it, then heat shrink tubing over it. One or two heat shrink pieces about 2" long of course over wires before making the connection, away from soldering heat until cool then over joint use heat gun.
I would want everything back as factory...then troubleshoot/check everything with a test light or voltmeter after reconnecting battery. When all is well wrap with electrical tape as factory had it.
a17c0cb4fa37a7e4ee932ca87cdbee00.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

There's is a lot more to solving your issue than just what you're experiencing. I used to make a universal relay kit for any bike that used the same type of headlamp configuration that the FZ6 had. There was also the bd43 headlight modification specifically for the FZ6. See this thread: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/37355-universal-head-lamp-conversion-relay.html

Your low beam wire will be a black with a green trace, Your high beam wire will be a black with a yellow tracer, To run both filaments in any H4 lamp that has the high and low beam filament, the wire switching must be wired so that when the high beam is activated the low beam filament in the H4 lamp is shut off, This is required because the H4 lamp will fail prematurely from over heating with both filaments burning at the same time. The US FZ6 with the 2 headlight fairing did not provide for H4 wiring because it used 2 separate H7 and an H4 (used only the high beam filament) lamps.

Read the link and use the search, We're here to help when you have a question.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As an FYI. I also moved this thread from it originally posted section to the more appropriate (Garage/Mechanical Help) section. :)

Last edited: