Loud whining noise+bike not starting 100%

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6 w/ 25K miles that I purchased in April

Maybe 2-3 weeks ago I started to notice a loud whining noise which is constant, and I am 99.7% sure its the fuel pump. It has that distinct high-pitched whine only a fuel pump can make.

That in of itself seemed like no big deal. Maybe a little annoying but no other problems.

Around this same time I would go to fire up the bike, and 9/10 would fire up like normal but 1/10th of the time there would be either no engine chug when I went to start it, or it would sputter breifly then go silent. Then after 2-3 more tries it would fire up and ride like normal.

It was so infrequent I didnt pay it much attention but today I go out and try to start it, and it took me maybe 10 tries to get it started.

Is the fuel pump failing? And if so is there any danger to riding it? Will I ever lose power while riding it, or once it does start up am I good to go?

Any suggestions and insight greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if your pump is failing. here is a trouble shooting section on the forum that gives a lot of great information for testing different systems on the bike.

Troubleshooting & maintenance guide, Fuel Pump, Battery & Charging, Brake Bleeding

When you say constant whining noise do you mean that it's a steady sound or does it change pitch when you rev it?
Many times intermittent failure is do to the kill switch. Some people jump it to eliminate it as an intermittent problem and when it is the kill switch the intermittent stalling etc. will go away.
Naturally lifting the tank and checking connections at the battery are always a place to start.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the fuel pump has been "asking" for help with all the noise.

It will eventually die completely, whether it takes out anything else electric, dunno..

As the bike is new to you, the tank probably has some rust inside, the filter (on the pump) clogged up.

You need to pull the pump inspect and test.

As for danger riding it, only if it cuts out in TRAFFIC and you get in a bad predicament-yes...

Read post #18 re pump removal, inspection, etc:
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...n-key-turned-fuel-pump-doesnt-turn-off-2.html

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the fuel pump has been "asking" for help with all the noise.

It will eventually die completely, whether it takes out anything else electric, dunno..

As the bike is new to you, the tank probably has some rust inside, the filter (on the pump) clogged up.

You need to pull the pump inspect and test.

As for danger riding it, only if it cuts out in TRAFFIC and you get in a bad predicament-yes...

Read post #18 re pump removal, inspection, etc:
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...n-key-turned-fuel-pump-doesnt-turn-off-2.html

^^ agree 100%
And I'd bet money on the mesh screen being full of debris too. Starving the pump and making it louder.
Inspection and Cleaning now could save your life and some $$$ too.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I took the fuel pump out and inspected the tank. There was no rust or debri in the tank that i could see which is good.

There was some junk on the mesh filter. It didnt look like rust but rather small metal shavings that collected. There was not that much, just a small patch.I cleaned the mesh with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. There were a couple specks inside the bag it looked like. Everything else regarding the pump looked fine.

replaced the gasket and fired her back up. Still whines. I honestly cant tell if its better. Its not worse. Ill have to ride it around some more.

I guess well just roll with it :)

thanks for the help once again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that seems almost too good to be true. Has anyone tried this and how has it worked out?

I just got back from riding all day and the whining is still as loud as it was before if not worse. If there ever was an opportunity for some preventative maintenance this looks to be it

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Wanted to update:

Ordered the pump, I installed it today. Very smooth/easy install. Fired the bike up and runs normal so I guess I didnt screw anything up. The high pitch whine is gone! If anything goes awry Ill report back

I noticed that the filter comes off rather easily from the OEM pump Im surprised theres no replacement part just for that

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, (or Admin), as this fuel pump obviously fits (is a good brand name too), perhaps either make this thread a "sticky" or post #7(with the pump link) at least somewhere.

I don't think there's a non OEM fuel pump posted anywhere (W/O major searching)…

Thanks..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC the electrical section has a sticky; where you bought your parts. I listed a bunch of fuel pump parts that interchange.

I would add it there.

Its likely that old pump sucked up some shrapnel and it's either still in it or damaged it. One could try to backflush it with a big syringe and water... See what happens!