ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2016 FJR1300A. Great bike, great price for the new gen with only 31,000 miles. :thumbup:

2016 FJR1300A.jpg

No - I have not named her "unicorn." Blah

I titled the post "unicorn" because it is very rare to find a 2016 for sale and even more rare to find one for a price much lower than the original price of about $16,500.

Yamaha has sold quite a few of the 2016's. My theory is that most guys are not going to sell them this quickly. The 2016 models introduced a 6th gear (previous years have 5), a slipper clutch, and LED head & tail lights. The guys that are going to sell are people who bought a bigger, faster, heavier bike than they thought they were getting into, or cases where the wife said "YOU BOUGHT A WHAT???" Those guys are all hoping to get most of their purchase price back. The other end of the used bike market, other than salvage titles or stolen bikes, are from owners who have racked up a lot of miles. Most FJR owners are not going to trade their bike after a few measly 10,000 miles. The '16s have only been out two summers so there are almost none for sale with high mileage.

The bike I bought was owned by a 70 yr old guy that racked up 31,000 miles in two summers then decided that he's done riding. He wanted a quick sale so he can get his convertible - probably a Miata. I got the bike plus a top case for $8,000, less than half of the list price. I am not at all worried about the mileage because it was well maintained and because these bikes run carefree for a long, long time.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Moderators - If this is a second copy of the same post, please delete the second post.

I bought a 2016 FJR1300A. Great bike, great price for the new gen with only 31,000 miles. [emoji106]

View attachment 69287

No - I have not named her "unicorn"
Are ALL your bikes going to be blue? [emoji3]

Seriously, it looks beautiful! What a dilemma! Trying to decide which great bike to ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
That is most likely my next ride. Congrats!! Beautiful! Can you PM how much you paid for it if you do not want to make it public?
Thanks!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott - you're right. It could have sold for much more.

Because of your post I checked the VIN and it was clean. Thanks for the 10 minutes of heartburn. Blah

I wasn't really worried. The guy was very genuine. We met at his credit union - where they knew him, and the title was clean.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked locally for a '16 model, new(back then) or used.

The dealers down here don't stock them. The latest FJR I've seen is a '13 model...(didn't like the color)…

Probably for the best, I don't do any LD riding anymore, but the FJR was a fun (fast) bike!! When we did do
LD rides, my friend and I, getting on the interstate (on ramps), would easily get into the triple digits and then slow for 80 MPH traffic!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the very few shortcomings of the FJR is that it doesn't have a helmet lock. But I'll soon be adding two of Scott's special helmet lock brackets.

I realized this past week that third gear on the FJR is a bit taller than high gear on my stock ratio FZ6. The FJR does about 64 mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd while the FZ6 does 50 mph at 5000 in 6th. In 6th gear the FJR does does 70 at 3100 or 3200. The torque, even at 3000 rpm is incredible.

Okay, okay, better quit bragging before I get banned.

I still love my FZ - she got the nod for today's ride to work. (Better now?)

Chris

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the very few shortcomings of the FJR is that it doesn't have a helmet lock. But I'll soon be adding two of Scott's special helmet lock brackets.

I realized this past week that third gear on the FJR is a bit taller than high gear on my stock ratio FZ6. The FJR does about 64 mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd while the FZ6 does 50 mph at 5000 in 6th. In 6th gear the FJR does does 70 at 3100 or 3200. The torque, even at 3000 rpm is incredible.

Okay, okay, better quit bragging before I get banned.

I still love my FZ - she got the nod for today's ride to work. (Better now?)

Chris

My fz6 at 5k rpm is going about 62mph in 6th gear, as far as I know my gearing is stock

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Chris. Sounds like your FZ6 gearing is different than mine. I mainly watch the tachometer while I drive at higher speeds (since it's so big), and extrapolate that to mph - especially when I get going really good. For example, at 6 grand on the tach in 4th gear, I multiply 6 (thousands) times 10 (miles per hour, per thousand) and that's (about ) 60 mph. In 5th gear, the 6 (thousands) on the tach times 11 (mph, per thousand rpm) is 66 mph. And in 6th gear, the 6 (thousands) on the tach times 12 (mph, per thousand rpm) is 72 mph.

What's really somewhat scary (after I get off the bike) is that in 4th gear 12 (thousand rpm) times 10 is 120 mph, in 5th gear 12M rpms times 11 mph is 132 mph, and in 6th gear 12M rpms times 12 mph is 144 mph, which is exactly the top rated speed for our FZ6's (mine is a 2007). I've only used the 12M rpms since that's the top of the horsepower curve. If our FZ6's could actually pull 14M rpms in 6th gear, top speed would be 168 mph!

Your basic observation remains valid, however. The FJR has tons of torque and is far less "buzzy" than the FZ6. I ride with a friend who has an FJR, and the only way I can try to keep up is to keep the engine rpm's above 7M- always. And he still beats me out of many of the corners. I'd certainly own an FJR if my pants inseam wasn't 28".

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 at 5k rpm is going about 62mph in 6th gear, as far as I know my gearing is stock

Ital (& 2007Fizzer)

I probably should have mentioned that my FZ6 is equipped with a SpeedoDRD which corrects the speedometer. Mine required a -4.5% correction to read pretty close to accurate. If you guys are reading the speedo without correction then you probably think you are going 2-4 mph faster than you actually are.

Here's a funny story from when I first bought the FZ6 and why I got the SpeedoDRD.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/the-bar/50932-who-you-what-did-you-do-my-wife.html

BTW - I checked the FJR versus the wife in her Outback and it was reading pretty close, maybe 1 mph optimistic at 70. The rear is about half worn off so I'll check again after I put a new tire on.I don't think I'll buy a corrector for a 1.4% error.

Chris

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
ohh yeah.. my speedo is off by a few MPH for sure, but that is a good thing since I am always going to fast :)
That was a interesting story, thanks for sharing... hahaha