Delkevic - Best bang for the buck exhaust?

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to order an exhaust for my 09 FZ6 next week. The Delkevic seems to be the best bang for the buck, running at $400. Love the exhaust tips, wish they stuck out a tiny bit less but still cool none the less.

I've noticed a handful of China kits for sale. I'm assuming that the Delkevic is higher quality since it's about double the cost. The China kits can be had for under $200 shipped (from China) but I have a feeling they are garbage. Are there any other ones I am missing? $400 is as high as I would like to go. I haven't seen anything used for sale.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, wait until a quality set of pipes comes up for sale or save for the best.

Doing some research, you'll find most need re-packing at some point, some have failed as noted above.

I am very partial to Scorpions, no re-packing EVER, lifetime warranty, and more importantly, I love the sound..
(The below pic is six years old and they look / sound the same as new)..

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya, I've been running the Delks for about 4 years now. They are apparently not suitable for road use (track use OK)., primarily from a noise POV.

to get around that littlle issue, I first packed some exhaust fibre glass around the lowere or solid part of the baffle be fore inserting it to ensure all gasses had to pass through the baffle. This worked well for about 12 months and then the burble started when backing off and it was still pretty loud. I knew this was ok generally but when plod would look around if I rode past I thought I was temptingftae a little.

I pulled one of the delks off and took off the end cove to see if the whole can needed a re-pack. The glass inside was almost pristine.
Next stepp was to pack some stainless steelwool ( exhaust grade) into the baffle so all exhaust has to pass through that. Certainly that has lowered the volume a bit but kept a nice note. I have noticed in the last 3 months or so that it is strting to increase in volume. Not enough to concern me when I ride ( I use ear plugs) but enough to turn heads when I pass. as its the depths of winter here I can't be assed pulling it apart in the cold so I'll wait for spring and spend an afternoon pulling down the bikes seat/grabrails and take the cans off and do a fresh stainless install, ready for summer.
Overall I am happy with the delks quality, they are solid, nice finish, I too, thought they stuck out a bit far at first, but soon got used to the look.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Danmoto is another cheap option https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s&field-keywords=fz6&rh=i:specialty-aps,k:fz6
I've had several Delks. One (carbon) blew out the side, after 8k miles of use. But I've since had them on several other bikes and have one on my V-Strom now. I like it.

I think I read a post of yours from a ways back. Glad to hear you like them. Do you think the non carbon - stainless Delk is still susceptible to being blown out?

IMO, wait until a quality set of pipes comes up for sale or save for the best.

Doing some research, you'll find most need re-packing at some point, some have failed as noted above.

I am very partial to Scorpions, no re-packing EVER, lifetime warranty, and more importantly, I love the sound..
(The below pic is six years old and they look / sound the same as new)..

Re-packing because they get significantly louder? Looks like AGF below has had to dance with packing his Delk often due to it being loud. He also said he wears ear plugs. Is this exhaust really THAT loud? I've never been on a bike that has had a very loud exhaust.

I looked into the Scorpions. Beautiful exhaust, however it is discontinued and I cannot find it for sale. Seems to be upwards of $600, which still isnt bad. When you say wait for a set to go on sale, you mean used right? From searching I am not seeing a lot of sets used within this summer (USA Summer), correct me if im wrong.

Hiya, I've been running the Delks for about 4 years now. They are apparently not suitable for road use (track use OK)., primarily from a noise POV.

to get around that littlle issue, I first packed some exhaust fibre glass around the lowere or solid part of the baffle be fore inserting it to ensure all gasses had to pass through the baffle. This worked well for about 12 months and then the burble started when backing off and it was still pretty loud. I knew this was ok generally but when plod would look around if I rode past I thought I was temptingftae a little.

I pulled one of the delks off and took off the end cove to see if the whole can needed a re-pack. The glass inside was almost pristine.
Next stepp was to pack some stainless steelwool ( exhaust grade) into the baffle so all exhaust has to pass through that. Certainly that has lowered the volume a bit but kept a nice note. I have noticed in the last 3 months or so that it is strting to increase in volume. Not enough to concern me when I ride ( I use ear plugs) but enough to turn heads when I pass. as its the depths of winter here I can't be assed pulling it apart in the cold so I'll wait for spring and spend an afternoon pulling down the bikes seat/grabrails and take the cans off and do a fresh stainless install, ready for summer.
Overall I am happy with the delks quality, they are solid, nice finish, I too, thought they stuck out a bit far at first, but soon got used to the look.

Thank you for the feedback. Regarding them being loud, I noticed you are in Australia. They are very strict on loud exhausts right? Where I am in USA I don't think they care. We have Harleys that will knock the China off the wall because they are so loud and I never see them pulled over. Is it too loud because of a legal aspect, or because your ears just can't take it? I wear a helmet and do not want to have to wear ear plugs. I'm ok with loud, I'm not too excited for rattle my brain loud. If it is only at high RPMs that is diffrent, I don't really go that high often.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They are still available in the states new: https://www.solomotoparts.com/Scorpion-Red-Power-Series-Exhaust-for-FZ6-04-09/#! &

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-R...AAOSwuTxWBjVM&_nkw=fz6+scorpion+exhaust&rt=nc .

But yes, I was referring to used sets. Without DB killers at low RPM's (say under 5k), IMO not too loud, get over that, they scream, sound like a go fast liter bike. :)

With DB killers, it sounds about stock :(

I love the sound of mine (I'm 59), the police have never stopped me but i'm pretty easy on the throttle.

Do a search on the net, you can find them reasonable. I paid over $500, 6 years ago (no DB killers included) new...

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the UK delkevic didn't have the eu stamp or whatever stamp makes them "road legal" if I had a crash with delkevic's on I'm pretty sure my insurance wouldn't payout if they came to inspect the bike. I paid the extra third bit the bullet after looking on eBay for months and being outbid on second hand scorps (seriously people were bidding upto £280 for them second hand! just buy them new for 40 more!) - so I just brought them new... I know its a fair bit more to pay but you get awesome cans when you go for scorpions, the quality is brilliant and fitting was a breeze. delkevic's were £200 scorpions were £330 - worth the extra 120 every day of the week.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I read a post of yours from a ways back. Glad to hear you like them. Do you think the non carbon - stainless Delk is still susceptible to being blown out?

I spoke to Delk about the issue. They said it was specifically their carbon cans and they have since changed the process. Stainless / Ti should be quite safe, quality-wise.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with these eBay exhausts from China? Around ~$200 is crazy cheap. Like the black

$189 Shipped - Aluminum W/ no exhaust mesh on tip - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113014755767

$228 Shipped - Black with mesh on exhaust tip - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113053159925

Also I'm noticing most kits come with a bracket that connects the ring gaskets on the slip on to the chassis of the bike. These kits do not have that...

Last edited:

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
As others and I have stated you get what you pay for. I wouldn't touch eBay china pipes. Im sure they work but for longevity, quality, ease of fitting, road legality, performance and even saftey id pay the extra every time.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
RE:Re-packing because they get significantly louder? Looks like AGF below has had to dance with packing his Delk often due to it being loud. He also said he wears ear plugs. Is this exhaust really THAT loud? I've never been on a bike that has had a very loud exhaust.

I try to keep sweet with my neighbours, hence trying to keep the noise down. My reason for opening the can was primarily because the general consensus is that all cans except scorps need re-packing at some point.
I actually love the sound of the cans with the stock baffle, and I would love to run it with no baffles at all but I think its tempting fate.
I wear earplugs to protect my hearing, that's due to wind noise more than anything. I lost my hearing in my right ear due to a viral infection a few years ago so Iwant to maintain whats left. I do radio show on music so the hearing I have, I really need to keep!

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought the Delkevic :D Hopefully will be here by the end of the week.

I know the Scorpions are higher quality and last longer but after reviews, cost, availability, audio clips I think the Delks will suit my needs. First time getting a loud exhaust so this will be a learning lesson at the least. Very excited to get something beside the sewing machine sound :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno how those pipes sound, BUT once installed, it's a VERY different bike (for the better)!

And it won't sound like a sewing machine anymore, guaranteed!!

Please post back once installed!

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
You will be smiling like a Cheshire cat non stop on that first ride. If you were in the uk I would have said they were the wrong choice but I think a lot of you Americans get them and are happy as larry. Not a bad exhaust I don't think but they just lack the homolgation stamp that uk police like to see if they stop you because your cans are loud. Glad you didn't get the eBay china ones, that would of been a terrible choice.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on changing the Co setting, maybe somewhere in the 15 or 20 range: https://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

Edit - Speaking of adjusting the Co, I'm having a hard time finding a hand holding tutorial with pictures. I've got this: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/57233-co-adjustment-05-a-post628691.html#post628691

Here are the instructions I was given by a Yamaha tech when I adjusted my CO setting.

Ground the yellow/red wire from the 6 wire fuel injector sub harness (under the fuel tank) then it will allow you to access the co adjustment. So turn the key off, push both buttons on the dash, then turn the key on "diag" should show up on the dash, then release and push them again and "co" should show up then you can use the two buttons, one to scroll from on section to the next and the other button to adjust.

In the service manual (don't want to post it due to copyright), it looks like the harness is on page 7-4 / 7-5. Here are some photos I could scrounge up. Does this look about right?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

You will be smiling like a Cheshire cat non stop on that first ride. If you were in the uk I would have said they were the wrong choice but I think a lot of you Americans get them and are happy as larry. Not a bad exhaust I don't think but they just lack the homolgation stamp that uk police like to see if they stop you because your cans are loud. Glad you didn't get the eBay china ones, that would of been a terrible choice.

Haha this made me laugh. Not going to lie, I had to look up what a Cheshire cat is and "Happy as Larry". Ha, I love English humor. Never heard these terms here.

The China ones were tempting, could get the setup for $180 shipped but it's just not worth it. Especially since I plan on keeping the bike.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you changing the CO settings? Is there an issue?

I have Open Scorps and never changed anything..

Be aware, you may induce a lopy idle, backfiring (from excess fuel), etc

BTW, RECORD the original settings for later use, VERY IMPORTANT...

Last edited:

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you changing the CO settings? Is there an issue?

I have Open Scorps and never changed anything..

Be aware, you may induce a lopy idle, backfiring (from excess fuel), etc

BTW, RECORD the original settings for later use, VERY IMPORTANT...

I may be miss informed. I read a lot of posts that adjusting the CO will add a few HP, smooth out idle, less popping on decel, smoother throttle, and cool the engine a bit more. Here are some (older) posts:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/57233-co-adjustment-05-a-post628789.html#post628789
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/4809-dyno-tune-co-adjustment-leo-vince-post488181.html#post488181
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/4809-dyno-tune-co-adjustment-leo-vince-post202665.html#post202665
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/4809-dyno-tune-co-adjustment-leo-vince-post296278.html#post296278
https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/10353-dyno-tune-co-adjustment-two-brothers-post126859.html#post126859

What do you think?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IME, just pipes don't require any CO adjustments. Add an aftermarket filter, remove the CAT, your probably going to end up buying a fuel controller.

If you read thru the posts de-cel ""Popping", with the higher CO #'s is common. "Loping" while idling occurs as well. I don't have any of that. Should I want to adjust those settings, I'd have the bike on a dyno to see WHAT YOUR ACTUALLY DOING to the engine (besides loosing mileage).

You can certainly experiment with the #'s (again RECORD / SAVE) the originals (all bikes are slightly different). I'd strongly suggest install the pipes, ride it, then if you want to play with the settings (basically hap-hazardly) go ahead. You should at the very least keep an eye on the spark plugs (engines NOT running too rich) from proper operation...

Also to consider, what RPM's are you picking up HP? Higher, like over 10K? First gear at 10k is about 50 MPH, second, your in triple digits..

Just my 2cts of course, do one thing at a time should you have an issue, you know the last thing is probably your issue..

Just as a side note: I've had my Scorps on over 20,000 miles,(8 years) stock exhaust otherwise, stock air cleaner. The engine has a rock steady idle, NO popping on de-cel, about 45 MPG around town, bike runs great, couldn't ask for more

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with one thing at a time. I'll leave the CO numbers alone after installing the exhaust. I don't plan on dynoing the bike but if it comes to it ill look into it. If I feel there is room for improvement or I am magically graced with an afternoon to tinker I may experiment; recording the stock CO#s as well. I have a handwritten change log of all the changes I have made on the bike, big or small, just for this reason.

As far as RPMs, I generally do not bang on the bike. Generally shift under 8K. Try to get out of first pretty quick, generally around 6K. Ride second/third to about 7K and cruise around 4-5K rpms. Of course everyone once in a while there is a bit of spirited riding but because of the power and traffic laws its very rare :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you'll find, with the new pipes, your RPMs generally will be lower...

With the "new" sound, it's going to feel like your going considerably faster...

Sounds like you got a great plan together. Please post back after your pipes are on and future mods!