Getting used to the throttle on the FZ6

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone, new FZ6 owner here. Came from four (yes 4) years on a Ninja 250. I still love that bike, has a lot to offer other than power. I picked up a 2009 FZ6 with 4k miles on it in near mint condition. Love this bike as well and holy moly it has a lot of power.

One thing that is taking getting used to is the throttle, specifically how it responds. Keep in mind I'm used to a carbureted and very forgiving 250. I have adjusted the slack on the throttle and it seems to make it better (there was a lot on there when I got it). Now there is nearly none, the throttle does not rise if i turn the handlebars.

I find it difficult at times to give the smallest amount of throttle and every once in a while i'll get a small burst in RPMs which I would like to avoid. About 90% of the time it is fine and im able to control it but every once in a while I catch the engagement area wrong and I eather give it too little or a bit more than I was looking for. The clutch cable needed and has been lubricated, maybe the throttle needs to be lubed as well? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

You also might try removing the throttle tube and cleaning underneath, dirt can get in there making the throttle harder to twist.

This is a picture of mine before cleaning;
ab35ef9bae492f882ffc20176821efd4.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The proper chain tension will make a difference as well.

You want 2" TOTAL, up and down (at the taughtest point) while on the center stand.

Check your owners manual, the procedure is in there..

I have the owners manual as a PDF should you need it..

AwwShucks

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up my FZ6 in May and have the same issue. This has been discussed quite a bit around here (I was lurking for a while to get the bike set up properly), and there's a few theories. It's correct that if your chain isn't set properly you can have issues, and make sure your throttle bodies are sync'd. I'd also run a tank of seafoam through to clean the system.

However, I've gone through everything on it and it still have a pretty nasty bite from off-to-on throttle. Like you said, it doesn't happen all the time which almost makes it worse when it does happen. It can be nasty enough to upset the suspension during a turn and that's a legitimate problem. I lubed the cables, sync'd throttle bodies, installed a new chain & sprockets, new air filter, the whole works. Nothing helped, and I have heated grips so I didn't really want grip puppies.

I recently bought the Dynojet PCFC fuel controller and set everything to +10% fueling and that's helped a bit. It's a little pricey but it did smooth out the throttle transitions and engine braking. Maybe not as much as I'd hoped for the price, but every little bit helps.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

You also might try removing the throttle tube and cleaning underneath, dirt can get in there making the throttle harder to twist.

This is a picture of mine before cleaning

Good idea, I will keep this in mind. Certainly possible. Thanks.

The proper chain tension will make a difference as well.

You want 2" TOTAL, up and down (at the taughtest point) while on the center stand.

Check your owners manual, the procedure is in there..

I have the owners manual as a PDF should you need it..

I did just have my tires changed and I did check the chain afterwards. I thought it was a little tight. I will look at the manual, but I remember you would measure towards the center of the swingarm. I'm going to check it soon and possibly take it down the street to the person who serviced it.

I just picked up my FZ6 in May and have the same issue. This has been discussed quite a bit around here (I was lurking for a while to get the bike set up properly), and there's a few theories. It's correct that if your chain isn't set properly you can have issues, and make sure your throttle bodies are sync'd. I'd also run a tank of seafoam through to clean the system.

However, I've gone through everything on it and it still have a pretty nasty bite from off-to-on throttle. Like you said, it doesn't happen all the time which almost makes it worse when it does happen. It can be nasty enough to upset the suspension during a turn and that's a legitimate problem. I lubed the cables, sync'd throttle bodies, installed a new chain & sprockets, new air filter, the whole works. Nothing helped, and I have heated grips so I didn't really want grip puppies.

I recently bought the Dynojet PCFC fuel controller and set everything to +10% fueling and that's helped a bit. It's a little pricey but it did smooth out the throttle transitions and engine braking. Maybe not as much as I'd hoped for the price, but every little bit helps.

Great suggestions. Glad to know it's not 100% me. I've been doing a bit of clutch feathering to reduce any sudden bursts when turning, however stock the engadment point on this bike is very very small. I recieved the longer clutch slave arm yesterday and will install it in the next day or two, hopefully it will help with that.

I put some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and fuel injector cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ARPVOI) in it. I've never used that product and just put a tiny bit. Might use something a little bit more aggressive next like seafoam or similar.

Did you do all the sprocket/chain work just for this problem or was the bike due for it? What year and how many miles on your bike? I don't think I am going to get anything to modify the ECU soon. I will be dropping $400 USD on an exhaust and then after that I'll be broke :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be nasty enough to upset the suspension during a turn and that's a legitimate problem.

This is one of the reasons it's worth it to learn trail braking and throttle application while still on the brakes. 2 fingers on the front brake (so you still have good grip around the throttle with your ring finger and your pinkie).. as you're easing off the brake, start rolling on the throttle. You want to feel the the motor take up all the slack before the brake is fully out. Just about any bike can feel shockingly smooth using this technique from OFF to ON. If you've never tried this before, practice in a safe place (quiet lot?) in a straight line.
Same can be done with rear brake (easing off rear as your roll on the throttle).. obviously different situations call for different brake applications (both, rear only.. etc)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G2 throttle tamer helps a little bit. Also, adjust out all the slack in the throttle cable.

I never had it on FZ6, but did have it on V-Strom.. absolutely hated it on that bike. It definitely smoothed out throttle tip in, but it took so much twisting to get into power, it actually made the bike feel extra slow. Maybe it works better on FZ6 *shrug*

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never had it on FZ6, but did have it on V-Strom.. absolutely hated it on that bike. It definitely smoothed out throttle tip in, but it took so much twisting to get into power, it actually made the bike feel extra slow. Maybe it works better on FZ6 *shrug*
I tried it on my Fazer, and I could repeat word for word your experience on the V-Strom. Kept it for a week to really give it a try but in the end I couldn't wait to take it off.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I want to rule out chain length/lube first. Checked the chain again last night. Goes up about an inch in one direction, and about half an inch in the other (up and down). May be a little tight.

I did a quick lube on the throttle cables without taking too much about. Shot some lube in an opening I made when I unscrewed the throttle grip adjuster and well as in the outlets where the cable meets the throttle body. Added some lube to some generic areas on the throttle body as well. Cleaned up the area and it made a big diffrence already. Makes me want to go MacGyver on it and dissasemble the throttle grip assembly. Is it hard to do? I want to do a proper job.

While it twists much more smooth, it certainly at times has an On Off feel. Still getting used to it but much better overall. I dont think it has been lubed since 2008 when it was new.

Rubberside_Down

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you. I came from an 08 ninja 250 and the throttle was the biggest change for me. Learning to manage it just came with practice. I commute almost everyday on the fz6 and the biggest things that helped me were slipping the clutch a little (I think someone mentioned that) and when I use the engine to brake before entering a turn I don't 100% let off the throttle if that makes sense? I sort of just hold it at a certain rpm, select my gear I need to be in, trail brake a little through the turn, and since I never let the throttle close all the way rolling back on isn't as jerky or sudden.

If it makes you feel any better I've been on my fz6 for just over a year and I've never even redlined it, hell I barely go past 10k rpm.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, that sounds spot on. Been riding it all week and with practice I'm definitely getting the hang of it. Lubing the cable and adjusting it has really helped.

How have you never redlined it? It did the first week I got it after changing all the fluids. Didnt hit the rev limiter but had to have been close. It gets up there quick. It really wakes up after 10K. Shortly after that I rode the rest of the way home under 7K :) It's a beast and I respect it very much, but once in a while why not let er rip?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not terribly hard to R&R the assembly. Take your time, make notes of what goes where as you dis-assemble.

It generally won't go back together easily if somethings not right.

You may look at the parts fisch for your bike and also the shop manual if you have one.

AwwShucks

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do all the sprocket/chain work just for this problem or was the bike due for it? What year and how many miles on your bike? I don't think I am going to get anything to modify the ECU soon. I will be dropping $400 USD on an exhaust and then after that I'll be broke :)

No, the bike was due for it. The PO crashed the bike and left it outside during an Ohio winter so the chain was done. Mine's a 08 with about 20k on it now. And yeah, for the price of the PCFC I wouldn't blame you. It didn't help as much as I'd hoped, but hey at least now I have a fuel controller to play with. I have the stock exhaust, so report back and let us know if the aftermarket exhaust changes anything. I installed a K&N filter but that didn't change anything on the pants dyno.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought it would be worth mentioning. After replacing the exhaust with a Delkevic, the throttle response is so much better. Cornering/turning is so much easier, no jumpy surges or on/off feel from the throttle/engine. Not sure how exactly this works but I did read other users reporting this in reviews. Seems like a lot of the surging from the engine is out of our basic maintenance control, specifically from simply lubing/cleaning the throttle/chain. Before the exhaust I adjusted the chain, lubed throttle cables, took out all slack etc. Made little to no difference.

It is so much better, night and day difference.