Change headlight to LED bulbs - will that damage rectifier/battery ??

rockportcity

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a FZ6N, and I am considering replace the original halogen filament headlight bulb with LED bulbs.

The LED bulb is awfully brighter, and consume alot less energy: 25w vs 60w .

But I'm still not sure about one thing: can the reduction in power consumption cause any damage to the regulator/rectifier/battery system. Since I think that the original electrical system of the bike is designed to have a continuous 60w power drain from the main headlight. And from now, with LED headlight consume only 25w, those 60-25=35w will go nowhere and may be go back to the regulator/rectifier/battery and kills them.

Thanks for your advice.

rockportcity

Reaction score
Visit site
The regulator/rectifier on FZ600 is shunt type which mean the ac stator always runs at full power and any excess voltage is converted to heat at the regulator. The drop of 30W of power consumption means that the regulator needs to dissipate 30W more, hence will make it runs hotter

What I'm afraid is that this 30w may not be a problems during the winter, it may be a real problem during summer, when the regulator becomes too hot and may fails

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be fine, you're over thinking it. You're an engineer I'm assuming.

What happens when you run just the single headlight (on the dual headlight model) and the 60W bright bulb is not on? Thats the way the manufacture made it (at least in USA). Thats double the 30w you're worried about.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering the regulation is shunt regulation it would be more power and heat the R/R will have to dissipate sooner. There is a limit to that available dissipation and at some point it would be detrimental to the shunt and failure could occur. Where that point is will vary in respect to airflow ambient temp and and the R/R specification.

The FZ6 does not have that great a charging rate that I would worry about the difference the R/R will deal with but I do understand the thought process and concern.

Some where on the site we have some specs. on the charging system capability with respect to wattage output but you might be able to find the specs somewhere for the R/R that's used.

On my list is to go with series regulation. It's pricey but maybe it's cheaper in respect to stator and R/R failure that might occur in the future because of shunt generated heat related stator and R/R damage.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would get concerned if I shed more than 70 watts. None of my running lights are incandescent so that dropped about 22 watts.
Although I like the clean look of projectors an such, the visibility of all that scattered light is a life savor IMO.

PS you could throw a thermocouple on the RR now and get a ball park temperature. Then when the swap is complete, check the temp again. If it jumps, add a fixed load or more lights!

Last edited:

rockportcity

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice.

I think I'll install the LED anyway, together with a 5cm fan attached to the R/R. With additional air flow from the FAN, those 30W heat dissipation may not be a big deal

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI, I switched to LED's in April 2017. I've had ZERO issues and love the increased visibility. I've put about 15K miles on since installing them.

eagerpuppy

Reaction score
Visit site
I as well have changed to LED’s. I don’t know how they were compared to stock, but compared to my stock ‘02 SV headlight, MILES different. I would always run brights at all times but with the LED’s I feel they are too bright to be behind someone and in their mirror, so I actually turn them down. I haven’t had any issues since I put them on and they have about 3k miles on them. I’ve run Atlanta rush hour in summer heat, no problems. I do hope the R/R puts some heat out though! It’s getting to be low 50’s in the mornings already.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI, I switched to LED's in April 2017. I've had ZERO issues and love the increased visibility. I've put about 15K miles on since installing them.

Same here, switched in 2016 I think - no issues at all. The _only_ things that were of note:

- took awhile to get them adjusted such that oncoming cars didn't flash their high-beams at me... either they were aimed too high, or the dispersal is not as tight
- dispersal... not as focused (with what I got), or at least that is the feel that I get.

Having said that, the sheer amount of light dispersed, esp. on lonely country roads (with deer), or the NJ Barrens... cannot beat it.
[MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION], still very much loving those turn signals!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION], still very much loving those turn signals!

Awesome....but it was [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] who turned me on to those lights. Speaking of which...the stalks on them don't have much flexibility. Found out the hard way, while pulling into my garage I brushed up against a trash can. Broke the right front stalk cleanly, dangling by the wiring. Currently have it back to together with some strong tape. Pondering leaving it that way vs spending another $100 on a replacement!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ That's a bummer!

Can you fab something from aluminum sheet and secure to the colored plate, then form a right angle with a hole in it under the mount. Or maybe SS as it would flex longer without breaking....

Yes, those lights coupled with switchback circuit.... Almost modern'ish! Too bad they don't flex!

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
After i installed lead headlight and stop, my stator starting to fail.

FIrst the genuine stator failed at 1 year after led installation, i fix it rewinding it, and it failed again at 6 month, and then again at 6 months then again at 6 months... so i uninstalled the led headlight (leave the stop led) and rewind it... and so far had been 3 years since that and still working.

So it looks like the 55Watts drop of the headlight will make the stator run hotter and damage eventually

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After i installed lead headlight and stop, my stator starting to fail.

FIrst the genuine stator failed at 1 year after led installation, i fix it rewinding it, and it failed again at 6 month, and then again at 6 months then again at 6 months... so i uninstalled the led headlight (leave the stop led) and rewind it... and so far had been 3 years since that and still working.

So it looks like the 55Watts drop of the headlight will make the stator run hotter and damage eventually

I'm sorry to hear that has been your experience. That has not been the case for me - I've had LED bulbs in since Feb 2016 with no stator issues whatsoever.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that theory before but I don't think it would be enough to cause premature failure of the stator.
The charging system of the bike uses a shunt regulator so the stator is under constant load regardless of the smaller difference in going to LED. The LED uses less current than the 55/65 watt halogen H4/H7 combination, This essentially means there is extra heat that would need dissipation at the regulator/rectifier which is where the shunting occurs. The stator is under load whether the current is being dissipated through the shunt or accessories/lamps etc.

If you want to improve your regulator to a more efficient more reliable regulator you might try a MOSFET regulator which I heard will run a little cooler.