Chain guard/guide fell off...am I okay to ride home without it?

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no idea until my wife texted me that she found it lying in the driveway. I'm at work now, is it okay to ride home without it on? I didn't notice any weird noise on the way here, so I'm guessing it's fine?

Part #5 here

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, you’re talking about the guide on the leading edge of the swingarm. The chain is gonna cut into the aluminum. How does it look after the ride to work? It’s gonna be twice as bad when you get home. If it looks like there is damage, go home and get the guide before you ride home. Can your wife bring it to you?

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I inspected the swingarm and it really wasn't that bad. Definitely some scratches, but confined to a small area. So, I rode home and inspected at home, looked the same. Reinstalled the guard with new bolt and some loctite on that sucker. I also inspected the affected edge of the chain but couldn't see any damage (makes sense, steel is harder than aluminum). Thanks guys.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
... Embarrassed to say that this just happened to me. Went down to clean the chain and realized it was missing. There is some light scarring to the swingarm. It did dig in a bit. Looks like it has been gone for at least a few rides. Examined the chain, it looks healthy. No abrasion to it.

I removed/cleaned it a few weeks ago. I swear I torqued it down, I have no idea how that darn thing loosened off. Ordered a new one + bolt/washer for $30 shipped from Partzilla (shipping was $10). Going to make that bolt take a bath in loctite I'm so mad at it haha.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
... Embarrassed to say that this just happened to me. Went down to clean the chain and realized it was missing. There is some light scarring to the swingarm. It did dig in a bit. Looks like it has been gone for at least a few rides. Examined the chain, it looks healthy. No abrasion to it.

I removed/cleaned it a few weeks ago. I swear I torqued it down, I have no idea how that darn thing loosened off. Ordered a new one + bolt/washer for $30 shipped from Partzilla (shipping was $10). Going to make that bolt take a bath in loctite I'm so mad at it haha.

red loctite time! and I know, dontcha hate those shipping rates. tough to swallow in the era of free shipping

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
red loctite time! and I know, dontcha hate those shipping rates. tough to swallow in the era of free shipping

Haha I was thinking welding it to the frame :rockon:

JK - but I think I'll use the blue stuff. Never had a problem with it. Red might be a bit overkill.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha I was thinking welding it to the frame :rockon:

JK - but I think I'll use the blue stuff. Never had a problem with it. Red might be a bit overkill.

For sure. Blue is what I used on mine too. I'm surprised more stuff doesn't come loose on this extremely buzzy bike