swinging arm bearings help

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys I have a 2004 S1 FZ6N and on the recent MOT test they advised that there was some slight lateral play in the swinging arm bushes, so I figured I am going to plan on replacing the chain and sprockets soon so thought it might be a good opportunity to do the swinging arm bearings too.

My questions are:
Am I right in saying it seems like quite a simple enough task for a DIY mechanic?
How can I support the bike not having a centre stand?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Stephen

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Page 4-68 of the S1 Yamaha shop manual shows only two bushings in the ends of the swing arm.

Do you have a shop manual?

Besides a bunch of dismantling, (wheel, perhaps the Cat, lower the header, remove the lower shock bolt), it's do able, a bit time consuming.

Re supporting the rear, perhaps supporting the rear of the bike with adjustable, trailer "hold down straps" to the garage rafter. Maybe the side-stand
partially supported (to keep it from swaying so much).

I've never swapped the bushings out in this bike, did an XS 650 MANY years ago. The only real difference here is the exhaust right smack in the middle of it and the one shock, also in the middle..

Someone assembled it, shouldn't be that bad.

(Pic expires in 7 days)

Last edited:

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
I put together a 2x4 box (log cabin style) a little higher than the center of the bike, tipped it up on the sidestand and had a helper position the block roughly where the center stand bolted up. Pay attention to where the weight is bearing.

I had my swingarm off a little while ago (also an 04) item 10 in the ipc is a needle bearing, item 11 is a machined tube forming the inner race. Driving the old ones out might be the hardest part, other than that just being time consuming.

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys.
I think I need to look at making something for the bike to sit on where the centre stand would be...
On the note of things to remove, I only need to remove the cat don't I and not the headers?

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys.
I think I need to look at making something for the bike to sit on where the centre stand would be...
On the note of things to remove, I only need to remove the cat don't I and not the headers?

I found I had to remove the muffler to make room to remove the cat, I was also removing my shock at the time. Pulling the cat took some effort, but it came eventually