Handlebar questions (and need one)

VaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All-

I went to replace my stock handlebars with a set due to a crash. I purchased a set of Bikemaster Superbike bars and as most of you are aware they wouldn't work due the clamping area being too short.

Any suggestions on where to get a bar that will work?

Thank you!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I run the Bikermaster Superbike bars. Went through many bars until I found the perfect pull-back and angle.

I recall they weren't the easiest to lock down, almost to the point they don't fit... but they will work. Just get both clamps started, and alternate tightening left side clamp, right side clamp. Maybe half a turn of the allen bolts each pass.

Edit: I use risers as in the link below...I would think the clamps have the same dimensions as the stock.

Risers

Last edited:

VaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you.. .I'll try again. The ends of the clamp appears to hit the bar where it swept upward. I do see where you say both clamps... I only have one clamp.. it's a 2007 FZ6.

I run the Bikermaster Superbike bars. Went through many bars until I found the perfect pull-back and angle.

I recall they weren't the easiest to lock down, almost to the point they don't fit... but they will work. Just get both clamps started, and alternate tightening left side clamp, right side clamp. Maybe half a turn of the allen bolts each pass.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I edited my post - I remembered I have risers and don't clamp the bars directly into the stock clamps. But I think they're the same dimensions.
Like I said, I do recall being disappointed they wouldn't fit...but after gradually tightening down they secured just fine. Mine came painted black, and securing them definitely removed some of that black paint.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - but you have two slots that act as clamp points. Mine's an '05, different top clamps but same dimensions on the two bottom clamps.

Capture1.JPG

-------

Capture.JPG

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Strike that. I can see how your top clamp would get in the way of the bars. It extends out further on the right and left and interferes with the bars, which are rising at that point.
Sorry...unless you switch to '05 style top clamps, which would set you back about $35 on Partzilla.

VaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I might go that route.. and I want to get risers as well!

Strike that. I can see how your top clamp would get in the way of the bars. It extends out further on the right and left and interferes with the bars, which are rising at that point.
Sorry...unless you switch to '05 style top clamps, which would set you back about $35 on Partzilla.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I might go that route.. and I want to get risers as well!

I have a set of top clamps from my '05 if you're interested, they're yours for $20 shipped. They're not perfect but definitely decent. Also, I installed the FZ1 bar and love it, just my experience.

PScCJ4n.jpg

VaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Swedespeed.

I'll take them.
What's the difference in the FZ6 and the FZ1 bars?

I have a set of top clamps from my '05 if you're interested, they're yours for $20 shipped. They're not perfect but definitely decent. Also, I installed the FZ1 bar and love it, just my experience.

PScCJ4n.jpg

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, you can just send me a PM and we can go from there. Are you able to send PMs yet?

The FZ6 bars are angled back pretty aggressively. The FZ1 bars are straighter so you end up with a slightly more aggressive riding style (still upright in my opinion), but most importantly, it takes the strain off your wrists. I could never get used to the uncomfortable position the FZ6 bars put my hands in. FZ1 bars are much more comfortable, in my opinion.

link to buy the FZ1 bar new: https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2D1-26111-02-00

FZ6 bars:

Oejm1Mt.jpg

FZ1 bars:

77x57nj.jpg

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the FZ1 bars for awhile; they do have the more aggressive angle as mentioned. But for me they were too far forward, and I felt like I was leaning as if on a sport bike. Got to the point of being very uncomfortable on long rides. Hence the BikeMaster Superbike bar trial, which I love. They have the aggressive angle but pull back first, so your wrists are happy and you're sitting upright. Some folks have said the FZ6R stock bar accomplishes this as well, but it's hard to find those bars for less than $50.

FYI, if you plan on getting risers, you won't need the top clamps since the risers replace those parts anyway. But since the price is right (through Swedespeed), probably a good idea to have them, at least until you purchase your risers.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the FZ1 bars for awhile; they do have the more aggressive angle as mentioned. But for me they were too far forward, and I felt like I was leaning as if on a sport bike. Got to the point of being very uncomfortable on long rides. Hence the BikeMaster Superbike bar trial, which I love. They have the aggressive angle but pull back first, so your wrists are happy and you're sitting upright. Some folks have said the FZ6R stock bar accomplishes this as well, but it's hard to find those bars for less than $50.

Definitely true about the FZ1 bars, although my rides are limited to 30 min-1hr (commute only, no time for riding on the weekends with young family), so I can't speak to long trip comfort. I think I liked the more aggressive position of the FZ1 bars because I switched to my FZ6 from a 2008 Kawasaki ZX6R, so I was used to a ridiculous seating position. Coming from a supersport, the FZ1 bars are a dream! The only reason I switched from the stock FZ6 bar was purely because of the strange wrist angle. Just couldn't get used to it.