Removing Tint/Mirrored Finish From Helmet Visor

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever successfully done this?

I have a gold mirrored visor for my helmet, an Icon Alliance Dark, which is beat to all hell. All sorts of scratches and scrapes which make it a bit of a chore to wear while I am riding. Needless to say I have no feelings for this visor so I am pretty much ready to try anything to remove the tint and revert it back to a *hopefully* light smoke visor.

After reading some stuff other people had tried online I got to work.

So far I've tried:

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner (Nasty stuff, soaked the visor for a couple hours before scrubbing)
Rubbing alcohol
Nail Polish remover

and to scrub it down I've tried:

Both sides of a sponge (Rough/Soft)
Paper Towel
Magic Eraser

After all this the tint persists! I am actually quite impressed with its resilience.

Has anyone ever successfully scrubbed down a worn out tint to the base level? If so, please tell me how. I'll attach the photos of how far I've gotten, it's really slow going. Do I need to heat the visor up a little bit or something?

IjETmhl.jpg

XBsOH1Z.jpg

Qhdntpm.jpg

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I think for $15, I would try this -- https://www.ebay.com/i/261781863448?chn=ps

As soon as you select a color the price jumps to $35 or more dollars. I wish they were just $15.

My lid is over 3 years old and has been dropped so I'm due for an upgrade anyways. Just wanted to try this for fun.

What about a new visor? A scratched visor refracts the light and creates glare.

Helmet is old and worn out and visors are overpriced besides. I think my next helmet will have one of those internal drop down visors.

I'm not actually sure if the visor itself is scratched. The scratches have removed the tint for sure, but that's why I want to remove the tint to see if the actual visor is still good or not.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it taken off, brake fluid was the hot ticket. I'm surprised brake fluid was able to remove the tint but nail polish remover wasn't.

Z5x5Ylz.jpg
Next to my clear visor - Visor still kind of has mirror properties but is more like a mirrored blueish light smoke now, instead of dark gold.

Cleaned and waxed the visor afterwards. I am pretty happy with the results! Obviously the scratches are still there because as I found they were deep enough to scratch the actual visor itself. So yeah, the visor really isn't good anymore but this was a fun experiment. Although, the scratches are less noticeable inside the helmet than before because the tint on the visor is lighter, so there's that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen how brake fluid will bite and melt finishes but I didn't think it would take off the mirror finish and leave the shield safe. I imagine the shield is an inert material. Good to know this info! :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that any claimed UV protection it had for your eyes may be gone now. Wear appropriate glasses.

You could wet sand with 1200 to 1600 gift sand paper and do a 3 step polish. It will remove some of the deeper scratches.

Holding it while taking an orbital polisher to it may be an issue tho.