New Here... Un-doing the Previous Owners "Mods"

XpL0d3r

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Last August, I picked up a '09 FZ6R with just over 2000 miles on her! The previous owner bought it in the spring, but being 6' 5", wanted something bigger and got a Harley. So he put 13 miles on it in 5 months. Up for sale it went on Craigslist, and within two days and a test drive later, I took her home:

Bike.jpg

I was told this thing was all stock, with the exception of the exhaust and some cosmetics. But a day later, I find this to be untrue. Went to put my insurance and reg under the seat, and noticed a "POWER BOOST +25 HP GAS SAVER MOD" box zip tied in there:

IMG_3343.jpg

Oh no. Whatever, I will deal with that later on. "Later on" turned out to be that weekend, because a day later, I was at a red light, blipped the throttle, and the bike stalled out on me.

So I followed the wires from this mystery box, and they disappeared under the tank. So I removed the tank. Wires went to what I think I think was the air temp sensor. The factory wires were cut, then the box was wired inline, and then everything taped back together. Real crappy job. Thankfully this made the box easy to remove. Busted out the soldering iron and repaired the cut plug wires.

Took the box apart out of curiosity. Turns out it was nothing more than a resistor:
IMG_3353.jpg

Best guess here, but I am thinking this resistor lowered the signal voltage sent to the ECU, to make the appear as if the temp was warner than it really is, and adjusted the A/F ratio to run slightly lean?? Haven't got the bike together yet to see if the stalling issue has been resolved.

I will be posting a tech thread soon. Long story short, I also found out the bike was lowered, and the handlebars look like they came from an R6. I think someone tried to make this into a replica R6, and did an absolute crap job in doing so. Removed the lowering link from the rear but now there is a gap between the handlebars and the triple tree? Will post up a tech thread later on, I just wanted to get a welcome post in first. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well.....It looks like you may have lost 25 horse power after removing that HiTech miracle. Lol! I've spend hundreds of dollars to get 4-5 WHP extra ponies and all I needed was a resistor!
:welcome: to the our great forum! Although there are some similarities the FZ6r is a different bike from the FZ6.
I thought the R6 had clip ons and not bars. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh my, where do I get my sucker punch mod!!?
And someone installed that!? LOL

Welcome to the forum... do check out 600cc.org having the actual FZ6R.... that said these bikes share a lot of components. Well except HP! Blah

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a mighty impressive kluge job you inherited there.

It looks like they might have swapped out the top triple clamp. I don't see any handlebar mounts on it. Until you can get it sorted you might just have to move the clipons below the triple if there's clearance for them.

As mentioned though, it's a different bike than the straight FZ6. Good luck getting your bike fixed. That electrical hack job would seriously freak me out if I found it.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like they might have swapped out the top triple clamp. I don't see any handlebar mounts on it. Until you can get it sorted you might just have to move the clipons below the triple if there's clearance for them.

Agreed; its no wonder the previous owner was uncomfortable on the bike. It looks like the fork stanchions have been moved quite a bit lower to accommodate the clip-on's. The stock triple clamp and bars will definitely give a more comfortable ride.

Nice bike!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed; its no wonder the previous owner was uncomfortable on the bike. It looks like the fork stanchions have been moved quite a bit lower to accommodate the clip-on's. The stock triple clamp and bars will definitely give a more comfortable ride.

Nice bike!

And if that front has been lowered that much with out lowering the rear the same amount it'll probably be a bit twitchy dropping into turns... I would check to see that the rear and front are where they are supposed to be height wise for safe, accurate and stable handling.

XpL0d3r

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops! I'll head on over to the FZ6R forums... thanks for the heads up!

That being said, thanks for the welcome :)