FZ6 Gear indicator 2018? Which one? How to wire?

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all I have a 2009 fz6. Wondered what gear indicator to get. I really love knowing for sure what gear I'm in as I'm quite new to biking and find myself kicking up into nothing a lot lol. I know there is a guide on the acumen gear indicator but that is not available to buy anymore and also the pictures for the guide like most pics on here have been deleted from photo bucket. There is a £40 one from china on fleabay that I know is a gamble as I will not have a clue as to which wires to join it to at the ecu. The ad says plug and play but I highly doubt that will be the case, they list a myriad of bikes it apparently works with and the fz6 non abs is listed as one. The fact they mention only non abs version seems to me that they might* have tested it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcyc...215447?hash=item5d6c6fa857:g:86AAAOSwsZJaVy-F

^^^thats the ebay listing, not sure if this forum allows external links but hey ho.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I buy it and have the wires and install guide to hand even if its chinglish, do you think there is a chance anyone on here can help decipher it and tell me what ones to connect to the bike? Shame the acumen guide pics are not available as those pics together with the acumen instructions (of which I don't have either) may have been the enigma machine needed to help.

**posted in general discussion in the hope that someone in the general population may see it lol

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Their ad says it's plug and play....

You may simply send a message before purchasing asking if it is indeed FULLY plug and play and also, are the directions in English..

I'm sure they would be in English as well as other languages...

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
It says plug and play but then lists a long lists of bikes that it is apparently plug and play which leads me to believe its not plug and play and ill have to cut the connector off... Might send an email but I feel like ill be sent one saying "we sure plug and play for our bike send instruction for plug in with bike item"

Tried to email them but I cannot post my email in the message I tried many ways around it but its not letting me so they cannot send me the instructions...Would be nice if someone had a plug and play one but I highly doubt it will be plug and play as it lists many different bikes...

You would think on this whole forum there would be at least someone that has installed one in the last few years.

I might just buy it and if it works plug and play ill be jumping for joy, if I have to cut and solder wires I shall be deeply depressed and begging for guidance.

Last edited:

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I've seen that guide but its of no use now as the instructions for the acumen are not present so we have no idea of what those wires do or if the new unit connects in the same way. Thanks anyway.

Just curious, on the ecu if it is plug and play does it plug into a spare connector coming off the ecu used for programming and fault finding or is it a pass through connector? Im talking generically here if it was plug and play....there are a few from Italy that (say they) are specifically for the fz6 that look promising but are more money. As regards to plug and play id like to know if there is a spare connector coming off the ecu that you can actually plug into.

Haven't looked at it yet its too cold but if someone knows id be grateful.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to this installation he spliced into the ECU harness except for one wire. If the unit you're interested in claimed plug n play the unit should piggy back at a plug in the harness. The problem today is marketing has circumvented the meaning of language or any assembly of honesty so we don't really know what we're getting. Hopefully your unit is actually "plug and play" but if there is no documentation it's a crap shoot.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
looking at the ebay ad, it looks really similar to the Healtech gear indicator. From memory there is an intermediate plug that goes into the bikes loom and you only need to tap into a power circuit, like running lights.
looking at the healtech site, the first thing that comes up is a warning about Chinese knock offs:

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/gpds/

hope you find some compatible instructions to help with your project

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
When I goto order the gipro it asks for the Harness p/n? I presume this is harness part number, did a bit of research and I think its GPX Y-01 can anyone tell me if this is right for an 09 fz6 non abs? When I google gpx and fz6 all ig et is gpx y-01 and this is an option in the drop down box on the gipro site....anyone know for sure?