bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad they didn't fatten the fairings and tank for the GT model... but at least they've improved the suspension.
I'd expect it to be ~12k€ in Europe...

2019 Tracer 900 GT Exclusive Features

Color matched hard side cases fitted as standard
Full color TFT instrument panel (Thin Film Transistor)
Fully adjustable gold colored upside down front forks
Rear shock with remote preload adjuster
Quick Shift System (QSS) for seamless upshifting
Cruise Control
Heated grips

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that recent-vintage bikes all look like something out of a Transformers movie. Can't get that phrase out of my head, and now it is all I see.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ever since it was announced, I look daily for information on the new Tracer 900 GT. They posted it up on Yamaha UK site recently.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-900-gt.aspx

6963B6E4-A3F3-4A5E-A9C1-BF562393CCFA-3899-000004052612D03C.jpg

Can't wait until this is released in the US (supposedly in the fall) so I can take a test ride. Three different colors available - I like the Phantom Blue. Fully adjustable suspension! Cruise control! Heated Grips! Color TFT display! Oh my.

When they presented the bike at the shows, one of the claims was "A 60 mm longer swingarm which improves the feeling of drive from the rear tire".
But the specs on the Yamaha Europe site show 85" chassis length, same as the 2017 FJ-09. Not sure but seems like chassis length would increase as swingarm length increases. Maybe not. Also - fuel tank stays at 4.8 gallons. Was hoping for more but that'll do.

The price may be a deal breaker however. Listed for 10,649 pounds....$15,000 US dollars. Yikes - although the site says that includes 20% Value added tax.

Any one else looking forward to this release??

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Eek. That's a "Rip-off Britain" price. Looks like a great practical bike. Hopefully the throttle response isn't anything like early FZ09s.

I wish Yamaha would come out with a 4 cylinder crossplane tourer. An FJ-10 I guess.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eek. That's a "Rip-off Britain" price. Looks like a great practical bike. Hopefully the throttle response isn't anything like early FZ09s.

I wish Yamaha would come out with a 4 cylinder crossplane tourer. An FJ-10 I guess.

Rumor has it that the FJR is going to become a 1400 crossplane, although since they just refreshed that bike in 2016 I'm not sure what the timeline on that would be.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Rumor has it that the FJR is going to become a 1400 crossplane, although since they just refreshed that bike in 2016 I'm not sure what the timeline on that would be.

Sweet. That would really make the bike stand out. Aftermarket cans would be required- it would be a crime to have that engine and barely be able to hear it.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
US Pricing and availability for the GT announced a few days ago. Will start arriving in dealerships this month. Disappointed by the MSRP, however. US $12,999.

Was hoping for something around $11K. Wishful thinking I guess. Still, I wonder how they arrive at an MSRP. Same Tracer 900 GT on the Yamaha Canada page shows MSRP of CAN $14,599....converted to US that's $11,147.

Why would they price the same bike in the US as $1850 more expensive than Canada? Wonder if it's in anticipation of demand. Maybe I should head North to pick one up???!!! Blah

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heh, you should come to Croatia - it's listed ~16.100,00 $ for cash.

Oh well, another used bike I can look forward to 10 years down the line :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
US Pricing and availability for the GT announced a few days ago. Will start arriving in dealerships this month. Disappointed by the MSRP, however. US $12,999.

Was hoping for something around $11K. Wishful thinking I guess. Still, I wonder how they arrive at an MSRP. Same Tracer 900 GT on the Yamaha Canada page shows MSRP of CAN $14,599....converted to US that's $11,147.

Why would they price the same bike in the US as $1850 more expensive than Canada? Wonder if it's in anticipation of demand. Maybe I should head North to pick one up???!!! Blah

Wow that is a LOT of coin for that bike! It's a very fun machine, but that price can get you a lot of other options. Like a lightly used Duc Multi or a new V-Strom 1000.
I really enjoyed FJ09 the few times I rode it, but I knew it could never be my only bike for 1 reason: I ride 2up a lot and the distance from rider pegs to passenger pegs is unacceptably small. The heels of my size 11 Sidis were hitting passenger pegs when I was riding on the balls of my feet.. obviously no foot space for passenger.
Now.. for a solo hooligan bike? Yes please!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a VStrom 1000 overlaid with Tracer. Seriously... they might as well have left passenger pegs off!

vstrom_v_tracer.jpg

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A set of ebay adjustable pegs is 30-60$/set, so I wouldn't factor that before buying a new bike. As for similarities in appearance- nowadays ANYTHING from the same class looks very alike. Make an overlay of an audi A6 and bmw 5 series, they'd look even more alike.

Here I'd buy a tracer GT with ~13000€, that's ~15000USD. Not worth it IMO, if I'm spending 13k€ on a bike, I'd rather add 2-3k more and get a bmw s1000xr

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A set of ebay adjustable pegs is 30-60$/set, so I wouldn't factor that before buying a new bike.

Not necessarily available for every bike. Not to mention passenger pegs would have to move back and aftermarket ones typically move pegs down.. never seen them push pegs back. And if there was such a thing, it'd create clearance issues for passenger with side cases on the bike.
Messing with front pegs for more room means lowering them, which equates to reduced cornering clearance.
I'm sure it's acceptable to some. To me it's not *shrug*

The overlay was strictly to demonstrate the differences in rider/passenger distances from bike to bike. Did not have to be V-Strom.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a random example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-St...002236&hash=item28122f9d64:g:iA0AAOSwCQZZC4EF They're usually 360 degrees adjustable.

I understand what you're saying but after all there is no perfect bike, you do have to compromise one thing or another, and/or start modding things. I'd rather have to mess with the peg position than to have a worse engine, or to have to spend $$$ in suspension. I'd even replace pegs than have to replace brake lines.

IF you and/or the passenger are Big Foot AND you must carry half the stuff own in huge side cases AND you use maximum lean angle WHILE carrying all that crap and a passenger, then indeed, in this particular case the peg location is a deal breaker. Otherwise, in 99% of other cases you could find an easy and cheap way to increase the space between the pegs without losing lean angle.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the overlay Eric. Good perspective. Obviously the passenger peg location is an issue, but I never ride 2-up, so not an issue for me.
The goodies on the GT, and the fact that I'd be purchasing my first ever NEW bike, are why I'd choose it over a used rough equivalent. Cruise control, heated grips, adjustable screen, factory side cases...All draw me in. But I guess I'll wait and buy one used, or a leftover at a steep discount hopefully.
Riding home from work today, my FZ6 was reminding me that there's nothing wrong with her while I was screamin through some back road twisties! A few more good years and many thousands of miles left for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked out the Tracer 900 GT in person at my local dealership. Passenger pegs ARE in fact an issue. My size 12 boot heels were hitting them without even being on the balls of my feet. Can't easily remove them (welded on). Problem exists even when they're folded up and not "in use". Not a good situation.

Looks like its the trusty FZ6 for another year, which isn't a bad thing.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
IF and when I sell my 990 supermoto the Tracer would be on my short list for a day/play bike. Cruise control would be a huge factor as most of my local rides are still 250-300 miles and my old wrists are getting tired of no cruise. I'll be keeping my Wing for LD duty, it only has 92,000 miles...just broke in.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Checked out the Tracer 900 GT in person at my local dealership. Passenger pegs ARE in fact an issue. My size 12 boot heels were hitting them without even being on the balls of my feet. Can't easily remove them (welded on). Problem exists even when they're folded up and not "in use". Not a good situation.

Looks like its the trusty FZ6 for another year, which isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. Such a fun bike otherwise.