2006 Fueling Question

User

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 and I've never completely settled into the snatchy, jolty throttle of the bike. I've read that the 07+ has better fuel maps. I have 2 questions... how much better are the 07+ throttles? And can this be remedied on a stock 06 with a Power Commander? Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember a mode on the power commander lll that was supposed to be for race and give instant or quicker throttle response for track use. That leads me to believe the snatchy throttle anomaly was possibly born from some emission requirement to keep the bike lean at off throttle more quickly. This was an option I was given when my bike was professionally tuned by a reputable tuner and performance shop.
One model of the power commander (EX model) does not allow tuning at a specific range so that it can remain emission legal. Because of this, the EX model may not cure your throttle issue.

User

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember a mode on the power commander lll that was supposed to be for race and give instant or quicker throttle response for track use. That leads me to believe the snatchy throttle anomaly was possibly born from some emission requirement to keep the bike lean at off throttle more quickly. This was an option I was given when my bike was professionally tuned by a reputable tuner and performance shop.
One model of the power commander (EX model) does not allow tuning at a specific range so that it can remain emission legal. Because of this, the EX model may not cure your throttle issue.

Yeah, she's definitely lean in stock form. I couldn't imagine how snatchy the throttle would be with bolt-ons. I'll look into that version of the PC. I hope it's as simple as applying a map and not adjusting several parameters. I have a feeling I'd screw something up if that's the case.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fueling down low helps immensely as does advancing the ignition trigger 5 to 6°. Combine these with free flowing exhaust and the snatch upon rewet is nearly invisible.

I have threads on these topics. I run a wideband o2 logger and built my own maps. Bike is happy.

User

Reaction score
Visit site
Fueling down low helps immensely as does advancing the ignition trigger 5 to 6°. Combine these with free flowing exhaust and the snatch upon rewet is nearly invisible.

I have threads on these topics. I run a wideband o2 logger and built my own maps. Bike is happy.

I guess if settings can be adjusted to richen the low end are available on the PC, I'll do that. I like the stock exhaust for it's mellow sound. If there are options to have a rather quiet aftermarket system, I'd swap the exhaust. The ignition advancing would probably end up biting me because I've used pretty questionable fuel when I travel into Mexico or old towns where their gas sits for a long time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Likely hurts flow more than it helps as once the gasses expand they loose heat and now it takes pressure and volume to constrict them and force them down the necked down pipe....

Just like pouring oil into a funnel. Until the velocity goes up, it just kinda backs up.

User

Reaction score
Visit site
Likely hurts flow more than it helps as once the gasses expand they loose heat and now it takes pressure and volume to constrict them and force them down the necked down pipe....

Just like pouring oil into a funnel. Until the velocity goes up, it just kinda backs up.

Definitely makes sense. Thanks.