Votes: 6 28.6%
  • > 4000 rpm

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
When do you people shift up say during a gentle drive in city traffic.
I switch gears up at no less than 3000 rpm when there's no particular need for quick acceleration. Afterwards cruise at just above 3000 rpm, usually > 3100 rpm.

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3k in traffic? I doubt mine drops below 5k unless I'm stopped at a light. If traffic is heavy I don't even get out of 1st.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
When do you people shift up say during a gentle drive in city traffic.
I switch gears up at no less than 3000 rpm when there's no particular need for quick acceleration. Afterwards cruise at just above 3000 rpm, usually > 3100 rpm.

When ever you want to, heh heh. Actually for mellow cruising in town 3500-4500 works for me.I generally avoid less the 3000 steady RPM

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3k in traffic? I doubt mine drops below 5k unless I'm stopped at a light. If traffic is heavy I don't even get out of 1st.

The speed with stock gearing is 25 mph @ 5,000 RPM's in first gear.

So when traffic, CITY TRAFFIC is moving at 15 MPH, do you hold the clutch partially in and keep the RPM's at 5k?

Are you NOT able to idle in first gear and simply crawl along? Mine will easily do that all day long if need be..

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The speed with stock gearing is 25 mph @ 5,000 RPM's in first gear.

So when traffic, CITY TRAFFIC is moving at 15 MPH, do you hold the clutch partially in and keep the RPM's at 5k?

Are you NOT able to idle in first gear and simply crawl along? Mine will easily do that all day long if need be..

Lane splitting is legal here, so there's no need to sit in traffic that's moving at 15 mph. I just go around it. RPMS need to be above 5k so I can GTFO if I need to.

It will idle in first if I'm pointed downhill, but not uphill. For Floridians, a "hill" is when the ground goes up and down instead of being flat. :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lane splitting is legal here, so there's no need to sit in traffic that's moving at 15 mph. I just go around it. RPMS need to be above 5k so I can GTFO if I need to.

It will idle in first if I'm pointed downhill, but not uphill. For Floridians, a "hill" is when the ground goes up and down instead of being flat. :p

Most states do NOT have lane splitting, so your point is MOOT if not in Cal.

BTW, mine with the idle at 1,110 will idle easily in gear on level or slightly uphill. :p

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most states do NOT have lane splitting, so your point is MOOT if not in Cal.

BTW, mine with the idle at 1,110 will idle easily in gear on level or slightly uphill. :p

Yeah, I didn't really connect those dots until after you replied to my first post. I've never ridden without lane splitting, so it didn't even occur to me.

We've got to get those idiotic laws overturned.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't really connect those dots until after you replied to my first post. I've never ridden without lane splitting, so it didn't even occur to me.

We've got to get those idiotic laws overturned.

I've never had the option of lane splitting.. (Short of on the Police bike responding to a hot call, before retirement)

Don't know if I would, it's hard enough NOT getting tagged by a cage down here...

Don't need a helmet (over 21-but 10k in health ins), no bike insurance required either...