2007 FZ6 Transmission Question

Azmotoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone! I did a quick search online, and maybe I'm not using the right terms, but I didn't come up with any similar results. I thought this sub might have an answer for me. I was riding home tonight, and as I was coming to a stop at a light and downshifting into 1st, I noticed that afterward the gear shift would continue to go downward, like there were more gears to downshift into. I finished riding home and messed around with it, and after a few more presses downward, it will get solid again, like it should when you're in first. Is this a sign that something is loose? This just started today, and I wanted to try and figure out what the culprit might be.

Thank you!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the shifter ISN'T returning fully back to the center..

The long shift rod and it's ends(left side). They tend to get gooed up and need servicing. Usually a real good spraying with say liquid wrench(NOT WD40) inside the round rubber boots should help.

Also, clean and lube (R&R) the actual shift pedal, clean and re-grease the pivot/lever.

Also, pull your ft sprocket cover, (3 bolts) and confirm your ft sprocket nut is TIGHT..

Post back after that, but that should do it.. Its VERY,VERY rare for a transmission failure.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the problem of the gear shift lever not returning to its neutral, at the rest position, particularly after downshifting which prevents subsequent downshifts. This was due to binding and partial seizure at the pivot due to a lack of grease. Why Yamaha was so stingy with grease I don't know. Remove the lever and grease with something fairly 'thin'. Also, when downshifting to a stop don't wait until you're almost stopped and then frantically try to downshift to 1st as the transmission requires moving gears to shift so it will get hung up.You have to then partially let out the clutch to get things spinning again. Awkward to say the least.

Azmotoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the tips, guys! I will give that a try tonight or tomorrow and report back. I rode in to work again today, and it was doing the same thing, but it seems to only happen going from second to first gear on downshifts. I can "downshift" a few more times before it clicks into first. It's a mushy feeling in the shift lever. I'll see if it's gunked up and if cleaning it helps!

Azmotoman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure which of the things it was, but it appears the mushy shifts are gone (for now at least!). I did a bit of everything you guys suggested - lubricated the joins/pivots/etc, clutch cable as well, adjusted it a bit, and cleaned off all the slick black gunk that formed around the front sprocket area (on those wedge pieces...I'm not sure what they're called). It seems like it did the trick! Thank you for the suggestions, guys! I'm glad it wasn't something else! Lol.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300: I am here to tell you (and everyone else) that your advice for fixing my sticky shifting was exactly right. Riding around constantly thinking about whether I can find my lower gears is no fun and a distraction. I pulled apart the entire assembly and the pin from the shifter lever was dry and caked with old grease. I cleaned and white-lubed that and all the linkages. I also lubed the clutch cable. This all took less than 1 hr. The tranny still clunks a bit, but I guess that is just part of the charm of the FZ6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300: I am here to tell you (and everyone else) that your advice for fixing my sticky shifting was exactly right. Riding around constantly thinking about whether I can find my lower gears is no fun and a distraction. I pulled apart the entire assembly and the pin from the shifter lever was dry and caked with old grease. I cleaned and white-lubed that and all the linkages. I also lubed the clutch cable. This all took less than 1 hr. The tranny still clunks a bit, but I guess that is just part of the charm of the FZ6.

Glad to hear it!

Again, some basic maintenance and as noted, down shift AS YOU SLOW, NOT all at once..

Also, any kind of shaft, (that resides in a bushing, etc), I use Yamaha's Marine, WATERPROOF grease (also used on the boat).
It's really not much more than regular grease however it lasts much longer than automotive grease...

It's normally used on prop shafts as well as a "mid section bushing". This bushing supports the vertical driveshaft in the OB engine as it revs to up to 6,000 RPMs. Normal marine, wheel bearing grease WILL FAIL in a month (squeaks-don't ask how I know, and I don't like "do-overs"). This stuff will last easily for two years used in the salt water arena...

Used on a bike, much longer yet... ;)