What Octane gas do you use?

What Octane do you use?

• Total voters

Bcwalks2

Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering what Octane everyone is running. User manual states that 87 is fine, what do you guys do?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Regular. Though you might get a bit more power at the very top end if you were drag racing.

The performance-oriented guys haven't checked in yet. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What Octane gas do you use? // w details as to why!

USA run as low as sea level or up to 6000ft.
Ignition is mechanically advanced +6.5° from stock, 1deg cooler plugs, air box mod, S1 header on S2 chassis and open 2bro exhaust. AFR managed by Bazzaz Z-Fi FC and and Z-AFM data logger at 13.0:1.

That said Plus grade 89 oct below 80F ambient and Super 91-93 grade on days over 80F. I'll call it cheap insurance!
I'm getting roughly 200mi per tank before reserve and she pulls hard!! If you rip the grip in first the nose will be up and over. Comes up in 2nd too and you must back off or go over! Throttle response is Great and rewet perfect. Bike and rider are happy!

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
MOM knows best. If MOM says regular, then regular it is. Also my bike has 53,000+ miles on it, if my bike were brand new I might care a bit more. :rolleyes: On the flip side, running premium might extend the life of my bike even further... though I am not sure if that's anymore than a theory.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike runs best on 87. It also runs best on ethanol free. The problem is that until 2 weeks ago, there was no 87 ethanol free around here...the only 100% gas was 93. We finally have a station carrying 87 octane no ethanol gas and my bike has never run so well. I think I just rolled over 34k too!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I run 87 octane and have not had any problem with ethanol enriched fuel, except for decreased mileage.

This space intentionally left blank.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Run what the mfg. calls for in the bike you are riding. Premium has nothing to do with power but is for anti knock in higher compression motors. A real waste of money for motors that run on regular.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Been running on regular 87 octane for 100k miles, no reason to change to premium. Just think how much money I have saved. I'm at 4500 feet and can reach up to 9000 feet on my rides.

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site

Even my dual sports gets 91, ethanol free if it's available. Otherwise 93 with plenty of that damn ethanol.