Votes: 40 48.2%
  • >45 mpg (<5.25 L/100km)

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious to see the distribution of what people get with their bikes. It seems like my mpg is lower than most of the anecdotes I see reported here. I typically get 130-135 miles by the time I hit the reserve, which ends up being 4 gallons, for ~33 mpg (about 7.2 L/100km for people from countries that don't cling to stupid unit systems).

Looking for an average over multiple tanks if you have a good idea what that is. Poll up above now.

If yours is really high/low, would also be curious to know what kind of riding you do. I'm about 50/50 city commuting and twisty backroads.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I routinely get around 45mpg. Highest was 52mpg. Lowest (not including track time) was 42mpg.

MPG is easier to write than L/100km. ;)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much. I tend to avoid traffic on the bike when I can, and that is mixed highway/city. I wouldn't say I'm a hoon, but I'm not a grandpa either and I'll take the bike to redline once in a while, especially on entrance ramps. I keep my tires inflated properly, chain clean and lubed, and oil change with Rotella T6 5w40 each spring. I replaced my spark plugs with Iridiums a couple seasons ago. I could probably use an air filter change, but that's about it. Great bike.

Andar

Reaction score
Visit site
I get about 300 km per tank where I usually ride about 10km into reserve.
I don't know what that works out to be though.
Stock bike for now.

I'll check again in a few weeks once I've put on pipes, plugs, filter and fixed my fuel mapping.
I dun ****ed up my power commander map and knocked my mileage down to 200km per tank.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get 180miles to a tank. Depending on variables, I can do that without dipping in to F-trip, but less so since I rolled over about 30k on the clock.

If your mileages are extremely low, the two biggest factors that affect mine are chain condition and slack, and the air filter.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I use to live in Colorado and routinely got 50-55MPG that was with ethanol free gas. Here in Kansas I get about 10mpg less. Altitude requires more open throttle, as you have less HP, to go the same speed so there is less pumping loss and less oxygen =less fuel too . All my fuel injected vehicles were the same.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
With my topcase on, I get 47-48 mpg.
With my topcase and sidecases on, I get 42-43 mpg.
Same type of riding, same conditions. These numbers are consistent.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
usually I'm between 40-45... excluding autobahn runs.... I can get below 30 with speeds well above 200km/h...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
R27's Tamed Beast (Yamaha FZS600 FZ6) | Fuelly
36/56 are my high's and low's.
Bad cold weather with more than 3 cold starts per day screwed my mpg.
Long distance, 65-128 mph speed on highway got me 55mpg.
Except for those 2-3 times, rest of them are basically 45-48, local;
2 cold starts every day at a commute of less than 5 miles each side to office/home.

Reaction score
Visit site
With normal filling conditions, using Esso Supreme (premium grade fuel basically) and brimming the tank as high I can, so high that it needs to be ridden immediately after filling lest the gas inside build up and blow the cover off, the best mileage I've ever achieved was last year in summery conditions i.e. higher than average humidity/general temp and I recall as 196.3 miles to the tank - nearly 40 miles into the reserve, super risky and probably not great for the engine. This would have been last year, and I'm sure the same would be possible with my current Fazer seeing as it's near-identical to the old one, but I don't ride as sedately as I would have then, I'm lower gears/high revs a lot more which means I'm hitting the reserve around 130 miles rather than the 150 miles I used to achieve. I reckon I can still get 160-170 from a brimmed tank though, which is well above what most bikes will provide and speaks well of the Fazer in a sports-tourer capacity.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was starting to worry that there was something wrong with my bike . . .

Apparently it's just that I abuse it a lot riding in city traffic. Hitting the country twisties yesterday with no stop/go nonsense, I got 43 mpg.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
W S2 mid cat gone an 2bro pipes - 44 / 48mpg mostly playing.
Ignition advanced, fuel controller @ 13:0 AFR, open pipes, -2 rear sprocket and its sill 42 - 44 mpg. I'm not hitting 50 mpg on long runs like it did stock tho...

Johnsonty

Reaction score
Visit site
I've put 16,000 miles on my bike it has 23,000 now and during that time I think the lowest I ever got was like 46mpg, that was riding it hard in the twisties on a vacation and not really using the gears above 4th in order to keep me in the powerband. My normal average is 52-56mpg. I live in Iowa so there's not a ton of exciting roads around here but I do use the full rpm range often and hit triple digit speeds when I can, in safe open roads with no traffic. My trip F doesn't usually kick on until about 180 miles and I normally fill up after 200 miles. Best I have ever gotten was 62mpg and just over 240 miles on the tank. The great gas mileage while still riding hard was always what I loved about the fz6. I also use the cheapest gas I can, usually 87 super unleaded like 10% ethenol I think. Anyone else having similar results or am I just lucky? I have an 05 fz6 if that matters (I don't think it should).:thumbup:

broody

Reaction score
Visit site
5l/100km (47mpg) these days, lots of highway around 110-115kph. 6-6,5 around town or if I twist the throttle more.

I hit the f-trip at precisely 265km on the last 2 tanks

I'm happy with that, my old fzr250 would give similar numbers but with half the power.

I run on 91 octane, will try 87 and report

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Right under 40 on average, however I attribute that not only to my big arse (even down 55 lbs this year, I am still a big boy on this bike), but I also enjoy riding higher RPM's so I can be heard (and help to be 'seen') since FZ6's unmodified are quiet as a kitten (to my ear, I can hear ground noise more than the engine at low rpms).