PR4s after 20400 km

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
I change to set of PR4s 1 year and 10 month ago and done 20400 Km on them.

My front has worn till the ware strip. Its pretty uneven too, Only on right center ,but rest all the places it has bit more on it.

Is it normal to ware front before the rear? I read in the forum somewhere that right side ware is common in Australian commuters.

Do i change the tires as a set or just the front?

I check tyre pressure every 2 week basis and run 36 PSI front 39 PSI rears.

I will post some photos after work.

Is this normal or should i be checking for any issues?

Thanks

Ravi

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I change to set of PR4s 1 year and 10 month ago and done 20400 Km on them.

My front has worn till the ware strip. Its pretty uneven too, Only on right center ,but rest all the places it has bit more on it.

Is it normal to ware front before the rear? I read in the forum somewhere that right side ware is common in Australian commuters.

Do i change the tires as a set or just the front?

I check tyre pressure every 2 week basis and run 36 PSI front 39 PSI rears.

I will post some photos after work.

Is this normal or should i be checking for any issues?

Thanks

Ravi

Hello,
Usually people change as a set, some to save time, some to negotiate mounting price, some, to not worry about them for few thousands of miles.
Please post the rear tire pics.

Yes, front tires are prone to more stress than rear, as most of the weight transfers to front when braking.
Unless you do hard pulls every single times, rears have longer life.

And also, people tend to get 2 rears for 1 front, if that is the case, you can hold off on the rear, for few more miles.

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
Usually people change as a set, some to save time, some to negotiate mounting price, some, to not worry about them for few thousands of miles.
Please post the rear tire pics.

Yes, front tires are prone to more stress than rear, as most of the weight transfers to front when braking.
Unless you do hard pulls every single times, rears have longer life.

And also, people tend to get 2 rears for 1 front, if that is the case, you can hold off on the rear, for few more miles.
Sorry Raja I am confused.

You are saying front wares faster than rear.
Did you mean 2 fronts for 1 rear?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Raja I am confused.

You are saying front wares faster than rear.
Did you mean 2 fronts for 1 rear?

Sorry, yes, 2 fronts, for approximately each rear.
and I just read on some other forums and the answer looks like YMMV.
I just went through one set of tires, so, I can't really say.

I had a shrinko, that lasted 6k on front, replaced with PR3, 1500miles ago. Rear PR4, 6k still looks brand new. But that was the time, I'm getting used to this bike, after 5 years gap :)

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
My PR3's needed to be changed out at the same time at 30000 km.
Remember these tyres are dual compound on the rear where the center compound is harder. Other tyres which do not have dual compound may go 2 rears to 1 front.
I weigh 80 kg and run 32 psi front and 36 psi rear. You may be running your tyres a bit hard which may compromise grip. I believe on the track the guys run the rear at 30 psi.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say anything certain before I see for rear tyre's condition. But in general, 20k kms are pretty enough for a tyre's age. Even it isn't wore, it gets hard as time and warm/cold cycle counts.

I didn't used any pilod road before but I can say my 2.5 years old rosso II's were extremely fine until last 6 months, now they are a bit harder than before and they perform as a normal tire. And odometer shows ~15.000 kms for the tyres.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
This is interesting; I've just checked my tyres and the front PR4 is showing signs of cupping on the right hand side too... left side is OK!
This set has done 18000 km and there is about 1.5 mm left to the wear indicators on the front and 2 mm on the rear.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone got good pics that show cupping, even an exxagerated view- really keen to see a good(BAD) example

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Very difficult to photograph; easier to feel.
Herewith a photo with cupped areas marked.
57d1054ee22cf38b335201c8959437ca.jpg

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)

Sandy, The cupping like that is pretty much normal. From my experience, it just the way of the world.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
The cupping does not bother me; it just arouses my curiosity as to why it occurs on one side only (and not only to me, by all accounts). I suspect it has to with the way the carcass is constructed.
The OP says it happens to Australian riders; does it happen on the left to American and European riders?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)

Sandy, The cupping like that is pretty much normal. From my experience, it just the way of the world.
This. I've always done two rears for each front. There's absolutely no way anyone is putting more force through the front than the rear, long enough to wear it out faster. There's a reason the rears are bigger.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
This. I've always done two rears for each front. There's absolutely no way anyone is putting more force through the front than the rear, long enough to wear it out faster. There's a reason the rears are bigger.

On these doesn't it depend on the compound? - If you look at this link the compound on the rear is harder than the front.. Compounds 1 and 2 on the front and 2 and 3 on the rear.. MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 - Tires On-road | MICHELIN - Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website -->3 (click the 'Learn More" box on the "MICHELIN 2CT Two Compound Technology"

schema-2ct_imagelarge.png

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. It's a harder compound. Because you wear the rear more. It's to make the rear last longer. Notice how it's not needed on the front.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cupping on the front is a product of limited damping control (compression & rebound) as well not really shoving it into the corners.

Increased loading and slip can true them up (knocks off the highs) where slow wear over time can lead to feathering/scallops...

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Photos of Rear and front wheel with measurements to ware strip.
Right <---------------------------------------------->Left
20160323_215448_zpstafeies9.jpg

Right <---------------------------------------------->Left
20160324_071502_zpsbyu0fann.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW This is what chip tar does when you push it in..
Lots of highway miles but the sides are done...
attachment.php