My Naked Conversion - custom LED headlight

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wanted a naked bike.
Back in high school, the first bike that ever got me interested in motorcycles was the Ducati Monster.
It was the perfect balance of aggressive, raw, and modern with just a bit of retro-cool thrown in.

I bought my FZ6 back in April and have loved it from the second I saw the bike in person.
The one thing that bothered me though, was that huge front fairing.

I knew it had potential as a naked bike and I knew there were kits to convert it but those never really did it for me.

Here's my bike the day I bought it 600 miles on the clock. (actually.. this was taken in the previous owner's garage :thumbup:)

UVkmNUq.jpg

8 months, 2 accidents, 5000 miles, and hundreds of dollars worth of parts later here it is.

BhjTQzZ.jpg

I was going for that cool retro-modern aesthetic with the round headlight.
It's actually an aftermarket Jeep Wrangler light. All cree LEDs and DOT and ECE approved.

Riding in ~40 degree temps isn't the most comfortable on a naked bike, but damn is it fun.

Here are some pics of the spread about 15 feet from my garage door. This thing is BRIGHT.

low beam:

6Y1JdGx.jpg

high beam:

6VXGBYy.jpg

And yes, I don't have my speedo mounted yet..
I've been using a speedometer app on my iPhone which is mounted to my handlebars :rolleyes:
A speedo bracket is next thing on my list :Flash:

Any questions, comments, suggestions, drop em here!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Links are working for me.

Looks good on the bike. Light has some hot spots though in the center. How is it riding at night? Better than stock? Got a link to the headlight?

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the bd43 mod it's plug and play (if his light is the same plug as mine). That looks awesome! Was going to post my most recent iteration but you beat me to it. Mine is similar but I hacked up old bits instead of buying good looking parts for their intended purposes. The cut off looks great! I've noticed that when leaned over at night it gets a bit hairy on country sweepers.

bobyoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever find a good speedometer? Looking for a new one that inst to much work to put on but looks great on a naked bike!

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever find a good speedometer? Looking for a new one that inst to much work to put on but looks great on a naked bike!

Sorry, I'm not super active on this forum. I ended up with an S2 speedo. Bought an FZ6R wiring harness and then rearranged the pins in the plug to the speedo. Got a speedo bracket from one of the users on here.

The bike has evolved quite a bit from when I first posted this. Plan on posting a thread later this week.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
THe bike looks fantastic. I've been flip-flopping on modding mine. It is currently stock with a Cal-Sci windscreen, which does wonders for the highway. I'm torn between continuing down the sport touring path, or going naked. Both apeal to me in different ways. If I go the naked route, I'm considering changing the dash to a Trail Tech Vapor setup.

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the bike as it currently sits. Mod list going front to back: LED Headlight and turn signals, R6 forks and calipers, S2 Speedo, Pro Taper Street Low Bars, Ballistic LiFe Battery, R6 Master Cylinder, R6 headers, 4° Ignition Advance Trigger Wheel, Power Commander, Competition Werks Slip On, Sprockets are -1 Front and +1 back with a 520 chain, LED Tail Light, and miscellaneous odds and ends! The seat cover has a big ol' hole in it so I plan on making a completely custom brat stye seat over the winter to close the gap from the rear subframe. After that I think I'll be just about done with mods. Last time it was dyno'd I was making 93 at the wheel and which is plenty for city riding and the occasional track day.

The bike has been ridden hard and never babied but always loved. Long live the FZ6!

ovRf6jK.jpg

N7PF1af.jpg

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike looks great. Can I get the details on the headlight bucket and LED lighting? I might want to replace the double unit I'm using and I like that I see on yours.

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike looks great. Can I get the details on the headlight bucket and LED lighting? I might want to replace the double unit I'm using and I like that I see on yours.

The bucket is Motodemic's low profile bucket and the light is a generic Jeep Wrangler Aftermarket LED. I was originally looking for a JW Speaker light but didn't find any in my price range. Still on the lookout though!

stusuth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey orient, what bracket did you use to mount the gauge unit in the right position? I have a full-fairing FZ6 and I want to convert to a naked. I'm not sure how to move the speedo closer to the top triple.