• Michelin Pilot Road 4 for $281

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Pirelli Angel GT for $266

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Cold and nasty here in Missouri and time to blow some money.. I still have the OEM tires on my 2008 with about 4300 miles on it.. Tread is still good, but they are getting hard and have some cracking on the front tire..

I have it narrowed down to these 2 tires.. Rocky Mountain has the PR4 for $281 shipped and the Angel GT for $266 shipped for the set.. So very close in price, what would you suggest? My riding is non-aggressive and more of a commuter and weekend warrior (above 40°)..

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Either one would be a great choice. I've had amazing results with the PR2 so I would get the PR4 over the GT's. I've heard good things about the Angel Gt's but the jury is still out on how long they will last.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
In Turkiye (A.K.A. Turkey), tarmac's coefficient of friction is not enough for harder tyres. So I'm using pirelli rosso II for daily riding/touring.

From this point of view, I tested brand new pr3 and was fine enough. Also I read angel gt has longest life of tourer tyres.

So I thought pr4 should be bit softer than angel gt. Also I prefer Michelin for rainy roads.
Make your decision with this information. Also don't forget that aging is harden the tyres, if weather is dry at there, I would choose the softest one.
Good luck, ride safe.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I would go with the PR4's also, I have one on the rear of the Tiger with a little over 3K miles and it shows very little signs of wear. I'm running a Bridgestone T30 on the front and the combo works very well especially in the mountains, they feel very planted. I have ridden in the low 40's and didn't notice any problems with slipping or sliding.
I will go with a PR4 for the front when I wear out the T30.

Jerry

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden the angel gt's, but I can tell you I love the pr4's! They're my favorite tire I've ridden on so far. I've taken multiple long road trips and have ridden them in all weather conditions on every road type. About 10,000 miles on them and still a whole lot of tread. I expect to easily get over 20,000 miles out of them. Tons of confidence and they've never gotten away from me. I've ridden them very aggressively with no problems. Youll be happy if you get them.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the Angel GT to the track this summer, was wet all evening. Pretty solid tires! I'm sure the PR4 are good to... whatever good deal you can get... you won't see the end of them.

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I have less than 100kms on my PR4s, and I cannot believe how different my bike feels on the road. I am not sure if I really like it too much yet. I put on over 23,000kms on the original OEM tires, and yes, I would say the original tires are a harder tire with less traction, but, in a way, I liked it more because my bike glided/rolled better with less resistance. An analogy is rolling a marble on a floor versus a gum ball. The marble rolls quickly, easily and further over a floor versus a gum ball that had the same initial thrust provided to it. That said, I live in an area that is a rain belt, so the PR4s are ideal. I had my rear end slide around on multiply occasions before due to the slippery conditions (rain and frost on a few occasions), and it will be interesting to see how different the new PR4s will be in all seasons in the Pacific West Coast. That said, I will miss the ease of gliding and rolling over the surface of the road. I imagine that once it gets warmer/hot that the PR4s will stick even more to the road, which will mean it will feel like I'm sticking to the road even more or sinking in quick sand. Maybe I will get use to it by then--we will see.

PS. I wish I would have taken a picture of the original OEM tires before taking them off. I think I could have put another 2000kms on them, but a friend was pushing me to change them because I drive year around, and they didn't like that they were past the change wear points and that winter conditions are present. I personally liked the challenge to see how many more kms I could put on them. I ended up changing them because of BLACK FRIDAY. There was a tire sale, and it wasn't worth not taking advantage of the sale.

Cold and nasty here in Missouri and time to blow some money.. I still have the OEM tires on my 2008 with about 4300 miles on it.. Tread is still good, but they are getting hard and have some cracking on the front tire..

I have it narrowed down to these 2 tires.. Rocky Mountain has the PR4 for $281 shipped and the Angel GT for $266 shipped for the set.. So very close in price, what would you suggest? My riding is non-aggressive and more of a commuter and weekend warrior (above 40°)..

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have worn out several PR2's and Pr3's so my next tire will be a PR4. Have not ridden the Angels but think Michelin has the best rain tech. Don't ride a lot in the rain but want a tire that works well when I do - over the years have ridden a lot in the rain. Had Dunlop Qualifiers OEM on my bike and could not believe how poorly they did in the cold and rain. Pulled them off and put PR3's on. Have had it leaned all the way over and no complaints.

Read a comment recently that a new sport touring tire is as good as a race tire of 10 years ago. Not sure if that it true but they are amazing.

Only have one question about the PR4. It's a sport touring tire and many sport touring bikes are heave (650 to 700 pounds), how will it work on my CBR600RR which is 415 pounds.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the PR2's and put 16k on them and I loved them for commuting, long trips and the twistys. I was planning another long trip and wanted to get the PR3's but the shop told me they were in a transition to the PR4's and it would be a month wait. I had the Angel GT's as a second choice and they had them on hand so I went with them. I have a little over 6k on them and they show good wear patterns, they did great on the highway in the pouring rain and they stuck great on the curves. You really can't go wrong with either, and I'm not sure what will go on my bike next but I would have confidence in either. Let us know what you go with. :thumbup:

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had pr3s and now on angels. Found the pr3 fell into corners better and more enjoyable in general, though the GT had amazing grip. Still newish on the angels, great mileage from the pr3. Next Tyres will probably be pr3s again.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've forgotten how many sets of the various Pilot Road series I've gone through (I want to say two sets of PR2's, one set PR3's, and one PR3 front/PR rear). They've all been fantastic with the exception of the Pilot Road 1 that came on the back of my FZ1, words can't describe how scary that tire was, but it was also five years old by the time I got the bike. My one niggle was tread life on the PR3's, the back wore out about 4k km before the previous PR2's and other sport touring tires. Apparently the PR4 fixed the tread life issue, so should be a solid tire.

I have the Angel GT's on my FZ1 now, it's a great tire, can't comment about tire life as I only have 6k km on them. Also ran through a set of Metzeler Z8's, equally a great tire, and gave me the mileage I expect from a set of tires.

Bottom line? They're all solid tires, you're not going to go wrong with either one. My vote would be for the Michelin for no valid reason other than I've always had good luck with them. Oh and the tread looks cool, can't forget that.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I just pulled the trigger on a set of PR4's..

Just got my seat back from Spencer also.. Spring cant get here soon enough!

Also on the list is - Bar Risers and frame sliders.. What do you have and why?

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yay! Look what came in today! Now just got to get them installed!

19F4042F-D656-4C2B-ADFD-E2181CC06558.jpg

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
There's no better feeling than having new tires. Congrats! I think you made a good decision with the PR4's

Last edited:

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok need some insight on this.. After the motorcycle show today went to Cycle Gear and saw my 2 choices in tires next to each other.. I was surprised how much narrower the PR4 is than the Angel! Can anyone provide feedback on this?? Why is there such a dramatic difference in these 2 tires?? (BTW the Angel tread looks awesome in person) Also I already own the PR4's and are sitting in my office right now..

3811D732-50D3-4A31-BF85-5EE78E5F99AA.jpg

5F1E899B-9FEF-418F-9499-BC6662A5F0FB.jpg

Trustyblue04

Reaction score
Visit site
I live here in Missori to. Down on these river bottom twist my Michelin PR4's are amazing. I definitely suggest them. Love the grip in the corners with the added bonus of long life on the interstate.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
after reading this thread, the temptation to go with PR4 GT overwhelming! I planned to get another Battlax. The current Battlax I have 12K miles on it. I could feel it little slippery while riding on that tire.

I will get it change to PR4 $189.99 + tax + $55 labor = $261.xxxx for total cost of new tire

I hope I can do 20K on the PR4 ....

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I used PR2s front and rear once my stock tyres wore out and they were amazing. I used up two PR2s on my rear and I bought a PR3 as a replacement for my PR2 rear and it wasn't as good. Now my front and rears have both worn down again I've now got PR4 front and rear and IMHO there is not a better sport touring tyre for grip and longevity. I do a lot of motorway (read highway) riding and it's lasted well (it does eventually flatten off but that's cos nearly all my riding is in a straight line at 75mph). It's amazing! Better than the PR2 and definitely better than the PR3. You usually get the best deal for buying them online and taking them to a local tyre place for fitting.