• yes - they have not touched the ground

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 23.2%

• Total voters

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Who has frame sliders? My mentality was "Just dont drop the bike". However I have seen and heard many horror stories. Garage tip overs, or coming back to a tipped bike. I cant help to think that $50 bucks might save a lot during a mishap thats in or out of your control.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing that went on my bike at the dealership and the ONLY thing that needed replaced after a 15mph drop 600 miles later. Need I say more?

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
tex - I think that will be my next purchase, I wish I had thought of it before I just put in a order for some bike parts.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a reason that track bikes have sliders on the forks, swingarms and frame. They work and are definitely worth it. Having a naked bike, I don't care about breaking plastics, but I'd rather not scratch up my frame, tank or engine. Also it gives a little bit more space for my legs if I'm still on my bike and it's sliding along.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the minority and won't put them on. I don't push the bike to its limits and I do know my limits...

I haven't dropped a bike (except my Goldwing, stopped, atop a very curved road and tipped onto the crash bars,while stopped yet!) since 2004. That includes a fully faired FJR, (considerably heavier than the FZ with a lot more plastic).

Its few and far inbetween, (on this forum especially) of several busted frames / engine blocks on certain types of crashes due to the TOG causing un-due leverage busting the frame/block.

IMHO, I'd rather replace plastic than an engine or frame.

With that said, in most cases, they do work well. Just make sure you have a long enough bolt for the TOG's as some have reported the bolts too short and have stripped the engine block threads while being installed.

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I recognize the small chance that the frame sliders can cause additional strain on the frame, but my thought is that if I go down very gently, the sliders will protect my tank and frame, if I go down a little faster, the sliders could allow frame damage, but at that point I will be totaling the bike and collecting insurance.

So, the sliders protect me from stupid small mistakes, and if a nastier crash occurred, I'm probably collecting instance on the bike anyways (with or without the sliders).

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recognize the small chance that the frame sliders can cause additional strain on the frame, but my thought is that if I go down very gently, the sliders will protect my tank and frame, if I go down a little faster, the sliders could allow frame damage, but at that point I will be totaling the bike and collecting insurance.

So, the sliders protect me from stupid small mistakes, and if a nastier crash occurred, I'm probably collecting instance on the bike anyways (with or without the sliders).

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

+1 the benefit out ways the cost by far, OES is a good slider I have hear trex also woodcraft looks like a higher end with replaceable pucks

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've dropped my bike a few times and the frame sliders have always taken the brunt of the damage. Most recently this weekend while working on the headers I dropped it on the left side and the frame slider got a nice big gouge in it. The side panel near the seat got a small scratch and that is it! And I don't bother replacing the sliders either. They are the only part of the bike that I am OK with being scratched up.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone recommend some good yet inexpensive frame sliders? I need to buy some.

I bought a pair of these:

Extended-4-0-Yamaha-FZ6-2004-2008-No-Cut-Frame-Sliders-

They're inexpensive and look okay. Do they work? Haven't been tested yet by me, but they seem to be well constructed. And they provide a leg rest for me on long touring adventures. The included bolts are the correct length and are also of good quality. No thread stripping to speak of.

I'm not sure why they stop at model year 2008 for fitment ...Did something change in '09?

Last edited:

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Who has frame sliders? My mentality was "Just dont drop the bike". However I have seen and heard many horror stories. Garage tip overs, or coming back to a tipped bike. I cant help to think that $50 bucks might save a lot during a mishap thats in or out of your control.

I just got mine for more or less $20.
Can't go wrong with that.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your opinions!
Those combined with fate brougth me to purchasing some today. I thought I had placed an order for some other accessories, swear I even printed the invoice....well i must be going senial in my ripe ol age of 30 :BLAA: Order was never placed, so i added some sliders to the docket and will hopefully get them before winter.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
How good are they I have no idea and never want to know.

Can anyone recommend axle sliders on the cheap from ebayz?

not sure, but the photo looks almost exactly like the sliders I purchased from the2wheels. I would think as long as its delrin plastic that it "should" hold up with the other plastic slidders. oh and the correct length of the bolt holding it on.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I haven't heard of frame sliders until I purchased this bike. Where exactly do they go, and can someone post a couple of pics?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Bluentalot

Reaction score
Visit site
I look at frame sliders like I do insurance; you hope you don't need it, but if you do you've got it. Besides, they are rather inexpensive versus the amount you'd have to pay in repairs if you drop it.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion sliders should come stock... they are way cheaper than any plastic fairing on any bike and they are worth every penny.. Its my first mod on any bike...