Error Code 12?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a clue on what this might mean? Bike turns over, but will not start. Tried push starting too, nothing. Maybe the plugs? Would that give me an error code?

Just jinxed myself last night, saying that I had no mechanical issues. Might have to take it to the shop, but I would like to pinpoint the problem beforehand so I don't end up paying all the labor for trouble shooting.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Error code 12 is the crankshaft position sensor

Put the bike in gear and move it back and forth to try and get the piston to move that should get the sensor to realize there is movement and hopefully it will start. Try putting it in first and holding the clutch when you go to start it.

If not disconnect the battery for 5min or so and hopefully the OBS will reset it self. If none of that works than open the manual and start reading there is a section that describes how to check the CPS in detail

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i had this once when i tried to shift into gear with the side stand down (it was on a paddock stand)

ended up having to take out the battery before the bike would start up :S

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Also check the battery voltage. Yamahas are pesky about electronics and a dead or dying battery could mean not enough juice to read all the sensors before start up. If the computer can't communicate with the sensor for what ever reason bad sensor or not enough power to get a reading the ECU reverts to fail safe and wont allow the bike to start.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also check the battery voltage. Yamahas are pesky about electronics and a dead or dying battery could mean not enough juice to read all the sensors before start up. If the computer can't communicate with the sensor for what ever reason bad sensor or not enough power to get a reading the ECU reverts to fail safe and wont allow the bike to start.

True but he's got crank over at the starter and the computer has enough voltage to know to throw a code so his battery is probably okay.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check all wires and plugs just in case the problem is not internal. Although unlikely don't discount the rotor may have came loose. I know this is your daily driver and you'll prolly just get it to the shop and repaired. I think at least now you have an idea.

Looking at the test procedure the device has a solid state component and that may have failed but check all the external, obvious scenarios.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The most effective thing you can do is to lift the tank and exercise the connectors. While they're apart, look for broken pins, corrosion, pins pushed out.

You'll find the wires on the right side of the bike leaving that kinda oval shaped cover below the cylinder. It has just two wires Gray & Black/Blue. Locate the connector and try to measure it as defined below.

CHECKING THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
1. Disconnect:
• Crankshaft position sensor coupler (from the wire harness)
2. Check:
• Crankshaft position sensor resistance
Out of specification → Replace the crankshaft position sensor.

Crankshaft position sensor
248–372 Ω at 20°C (68°F)

a. Connect the pocket tester (Ω × 100) to the crankshaft position sensor coupler as shown.

b. Measure the crankshaft position sensor resistance.
• Positive tester probe
Gray “1”
• Negative tester probe
Black “2”

** However - just because it ohms out correctly, doesn't mean it'll work. It still needs to change states when the crankshaft rotates. Because it's only two wires I'd speculate the amplifier is built into the ECM.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone,

I hope it will be simply just disconnecting and connecting the battery again.

The bike is home, and I will try troubleshooting the more simple things once I get back from work. My battery has been failing the past week or two, meaning that it cannot hold a charge in traffic. I have had to push start my bike a number of times, and has even died in traffic at times, which I thought was happening again. The battery was just replaced 6 months ago after expereincing the same symptoms (not holding charge) and had no issues since then until recently.

Someone had mentioned that my Voltage Regulator needed to be replaced because I may have damaged it during several jump starts from a car while the car's motor was running. So not being able to provide enough battery power may have contributed to other areas of the bike.

I ended up taking the 1600 Roadster Cruiser after I got the bike home. I stopped to get fuel because the fuel light was on, find out I didn't receive the fuel key. Now I'll probably run out fuel on the way back home.

Not a good day.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The most effective thing you can do is to lift the tank and exercise the connectors. While they're apart, look for broken pins, corrosion, pins pushed out.

You'll find the wires on the right side of the bike leaving that kinda oval shaped cover below the cylinder. It has just two wires Gray & Black/Blue. Locate the connector and try to measure it as defined below.

Based from Motogiro's part index (#21), the pictured area of the sensor is on the left side of the motor. I'm confused on where I would check the crankshaft position sensor. And the pocket tester, is it included?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Based from Motogiro's part index (#21), the pictured area of the sensor is on the left side of the motor. I'm confused on where I would check the crankshaft position sensor. And the pocket tester, is it included?

I don't know why but I think it's should be depicted on the right side of the bike.

Don't know why Ron Ayers shows it that way. Nobody wants to pay the CAD guy anymore.

You'll see a wire with a rubber boot exiting the case low and to the rear of the case. That wire should feed up and plug into a plug under the tank.

Edit: Check out attachment....

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny,

This procedure does say oil so it looks like you have to dump the oil. The plug is #1 and the crankshaft position sensor is #5 The rotor is #6.

At least if this component has failed it's better than a code that you can clear and dealing with an unknown intermittent. It will still catch up with you later so better a found failure and repair.

Looks like the crankhaft position sensor is mounted to the large cover. Hope your oil change is near due.

See attached. :D

Last edited:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny,

Looks like the crankhaft position sensor is mounted to the large cover. Hope your oil change is near due.

See attached. :D

Hey, I can help you with that. :rof:

But seriously check all the connectors and what not around it like mentioned before. Hopefully something just vibrated loose or pin backed out. I've seen stranger things on little screaming 600s and it always sucks taking off covers.